What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

I think we almost have to root for the offense to remain ****ty if we actually want this thread to mean anything. If the OL turns it around at all and the offense starts to click a bit more over the last 5 games, I think they'll keep Chev and use Rod as the (only) scapegoat
While the OL play was atrocious and Rod should have been left in whatever backwater high school they found him in, the predictability of the offense is still a huge issue. Turning around the OL is going to be really hard but, even if they play better, I don’t see the offense making big strides.

Regardless, I’m not going to root for them to continue to suck.

While the OL play was atrocious and Rod should have been left in whatever backwater high school they found him in, the predictability of the offense is still a huge issue. Turning around the OL is going to be really hard but, even if they play better, I don’t see the offense making big strides.

Regardless, I’m not going to root for them to continue to suck.

today’s coaches meeting

KD: Darrin! Did you come up with that new scheme by chance?

Chiv: Yes, yes…I think it should be ready to go for this weekend. *hands it to KD*

later on tonight…possibly

KD is looking over the play book while his son is playing Madden. He glances up a few times, and noticed something familiar. Then he looks down at Chiv’s improved playbook, and sees the same plays…

KD: Hey…what game is this?

Son: Madden…

KD: *mutters under his breath, JFC!*. Madden, eh?! What is the level you’re playing on??

Son: well…it’s the new one, so rookie for now…

KD: *mutters under his breath, fuc-king Chiv…*

KD: goes into his office to call his buddy Rick…

Probably not how it will go, but with some of these moves made in the last 18 months, nothing is shocking.

I think we almost have to root for the offense to remain ****ty if we actually want this thread to mean anything. If the OL turns it around at all and the offense starts to click a bit more over the last 5 games, I think they'll keep Chev and use Rod as the (only) scapegoat

FWIW, below is a snip from Brian Howell on the Daily Camera chat today. I happen to agree with him. There is almost no way to retain a Coordinator that has this bad of a performance.

Hi Brian, thanks as always for doing these chats. Can't be easy given the season the Buffs are having covering this team. Perhaps letting Rodrigue go mid-season was the right move. However, my bigger concern is with Chiaverini. Do you think he will be on the staff next year?
  • Likes0

• 2 hours ago
    No, I do not. I'd be shocked if he's still here by Jan. 1.

To the point that you simply can’t allow somebody to continue in their position when the performance has been this bad: I don’t disagree. Chev has to go. Has to. Keeping him sends the absolute wrong message. However- as is typically the case in situations like this, Chev is likely being made the scapegoat for problems far above his pay grade. We all have been there - a guy is given zero support or the tools necessary to succeed, and he fails. Those above him who should have been providing that support point to the dismissal as evidence that they’re paying attention to the problem. In reality, they’re the ones creating the problem in the first place. Said another way - it doesn’t matter who they get to replace Rod, Chev, KD, or even RG. Anybody hired into those positions is being set up to fail under the current leadership.

To the point that you simply can’t allow somebody to continue in their position when the performance has been this bad: I don’t disagree. Chev has to go. Has to. Keeping him sends the absolute wrong message. However- as is typically the case in situations like this, Chev is likely being made the scapegoat for problems far above his pay grade. We all have been there - a guy is given zero support or the tools necessary to succeed, and he fails. Those above him who should have been providing that support point to the dismissal as evidence that they’re paying attention to the problem. In reality, they’re the ones creating the problem in the first place. Said another way - it doesn’t matter who they get to replace Rod, Chev, KD, or even RG. Anybody hired into those positions is being set up to fail under the current leadership.
I would say yes except for the fact that this stint as OC is consistent with his previous stint. Particularly unimaginative and predictable play calling.

I would say yes except for the fact that this stint as OC is consistent with his previous stint. Particularly unimaginative and predictable play calling.
He had the same level of support in his last stint as OC as he has now.

He had the same level of support in his last stint as OC as he has now.
What tool/support was he missing that led to unimaginative play calling? I guess I’m missing how he was set up to fail from that standpoint in either coaching staff.

Even if I accepted the set up to fail narrative, I’d still expect better than last in FBS.

What tool/support was he missing that led to unimaginative play calling? I guess I’m missing how he was set up to fail from that standpoint in either coaching staff.

Even if I accepted the set up to fail narrative, I’d still expect better than last in FBS.
I expect better too. Don’t get me wrong. My point that I want to make is that we shouldn’t expect a whole lot better given the level of support given to anybody at CU. We all expect better, but have we ever really gotten it except in very short bursts here and there over the last 20 years? We haven’t gone through seven head coaches in 20 years, and none of them have had any real sustained success. At some point, don’t we have to realize that it’s got to be more than just a problem with the coach. The law of averages would dictate that at some point, one of those guys would be worth something.

I expect better too. Don’t get me wrong. My point that I want to make is that we shouldn’t expect a whole lot better given the level of support given to anybody at CU. We all expect better, but have we ever really gotten it except in very short bursts here and there over the last 20 years? We haven’t gone through seven head coaches in 20 years, and none of them have had any real sustained success. At some point, don’t we have to realize that it’s got to be more than just a problem with the coach. The law of averages would dictate that at some point, one of those guys would be worth something.
Even 5 win Hawkins or MacIntyre is better than what’s happening now and I’m not willing to give Chev a pass because “we suck”. He makes too much money for that

Even 5 win Hawkins or MacIntyre is better than what’s happening now and I’m not willing to give Chev a pass because “we suck”. He makes too much money for that
I need to make sure nobody thinks I’m giving anybody a pass, especially Chev. But that 5-win Hawkins and McIntyre is probably pretty close to our ceiling until some dramatic changes are made in the leadership at CU. As long as 5-7 is acceptable, that should be what we expect. And make no mistake: 5-7 is absolutely acceptable to this group of CU leadership.

I think we all agree with you that we would like a new OC to do his game planning in the basement of Norlin far from the ability of the head coach to pop his head in.

The problems that I think can be 100% pinned on Chev:
1. Bad playcalling.
2. Mailing it in as a recruiter as soon as the promotion came.

Those are enough to warrant letting him go, especially the second one.

He has not been given the opportunity to create his own playbook, nor has been given a budget or free reign to assemble his own staff.

For all we know, he might actually do well at those things.

I mean, probably not, but we don't and can't know if he'd be good at that unless he's given the chance.

1. Bad playcalling.

He has not been given the opportunity to create his own playbook, nor has been given a budget or free reign to assemble his own staff.

I mean, probably not, but we don't and can't know if he'd be good at that unless he's given the chance.
And beyond this, part of the reason for #2 could be that he was told one time too many that a kid he wanted to get wouldn’t be admitted. Or that kids he did get in are struggling because they can’t get the academic support that is provided at other programs. All purely speculative on my part, but wouldn’t be completely out of the question, given what we have come to learn about the system in place at CU since the “scandal”.

1. Bad playcalling.

Wasn't it his playbook that tanked in his first chance at OC? And didn't it also result in a huge falling out between Chev and our OL coach?
🤔🤔🤔

Wasn't it his playbook that tanked in his first chance at OC? And didn't it also result in a huge falling out between Chev and our OL coach?
🤔🤔🤔
MM was pretty adamant that it was his playbook, and Chev was only adding some new "elements."

MM was pretty adamant that it was his playbook, and Chev was only adding some new "elements."
So what's the "full Chev" playbook? Dusting off the one that Kingsbury used to have 4 losing seasons in 6 years at TTU despite him being the best QB recruiter & developer in the nation?

So what's the "full Chev" playbook? Dusting off the one that Kingsbury used to have 4 losing seasons in 6 years at TTU despite him being the best QB recruiter & developer in the nation?
That's my point: we don't actually know.

MM handed him a playbook, and told him "use this as your base blueprint."

KD handed him a playbook and told him, "use this as your base blueprint."

I personally don't think he's smart or creative enough to build his own playbook, and you're right, if left to on his own it would probably bear a striking resemblance to what Kingsbury ran 10 years ago.

But the point is that we don't know.

It's also entirely possible that he showed his playbook and offense to both MM and KD, and they both went "that's **** - try starting with this instead."

1. Bad playcalling.

I’m not sure that he’s been handed a playbook this time. I have seen speculation but nothing definitive.

That said, it’s kind of irrelevant. Being good enough that you get the leeway from the HC to own the offense is kind of a requirement to be an OC. Even if you’re handed a system, being creative enough to do something with that is also a reasonable expectation.

The 2018 offense and 2021 offense are about as opposite as you could get with the same OC. Something doesn't add up if you truly think this is all on Chev.

Ultimately, if both head coaches didn't trust their OC to run his system, then that should tell you all you need to know. This was doomed from the beginning.

I just realized something: even if you set aside the question of KD allowing him full control of the offense, to get a legit good OC in here, we're going to have to do one of two things (and probably both):
1. Lots of guaranteed money, and
2. A promise of multi-year stability.

You think KD's contract buyout looks bad now?

Just wait till it's extended, and we have an OC with a big, multiple year salary that's also guaranteed.

I just realized something: even if you set aside the question of KD allowing him full control of the offense, to get a legit good OC in here, we're going to have to do one of two things (and probably both):
1. Lots of guaranteed money, and
2. A promise of multi-year stability.

You think KD's contract buyout looks bad now?

Just wait till it's extended, and we have an OC with a big, multiple year salary that's also guaranteed.
Eh, that guy will get $700k-$800k/year and probably 2 year contract. Maybe 3 years depending on who it is

Eh, that guy will get $700k-$800k/year and probably 2 year contract. Maybe 3 years depending on who it is
Which isn't enough to get an actually good coordinator.

Some Louisiana HS coach will jump at that offer, but a legit candidate will demand more guaranteed money and /or some evidence that KD isn't getting fired at the end of 2022.

Which isn't enough to get an actually good coordinator.

Some Louisiana HS coach will jump at that offer, but a legit candidate will demand more guaranteed money and /or some evidence that KD isn't getting fired at the end of 2022.
Maybe your expectations need to be checked. $800k would put that person in the top 20-30 range of OCs in the country. This isn't a program that's going to pay $1m+ for a coordinator.

Back