What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Depth Chart 2021 vs 2022

College football is all about the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s. CUs roster is full of Calvin’s and Hobb’s
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

This is a good analysis.

Out of animosity, I see too many people focusing on playing time (or not) for the transferring player, but this is really about the impact on CU, no? Your take is appreciated.

I think Vegas sets line at 3.5 wins.
Can you be more specific with your question?

This guy!!!

Recently, @Buffnik mentioned big bang may be Dorrell. I laughed, even reviewed posts just to verify.

Then, I realized, this is an attention whore. A Stephen A. Smith. No facts, just irrational opinions and the more responses generated to his posts, the more he doubles down.

From here on out, I see Stephen A. Smith in this forum. No facts, just noise and hyped responses to stroke an ego. I will give zero energy to Stephen A bigbang
@mods potential name change? Steven B. Bang?

Here's my optimistic take:

Chev was a cancer on the team. Lockeroom drama, high school politicking, typical gossip girl type sh*t.

It's finally been exorcised, and a lot of good tissue ended up being removed as well.

So now the actual rebuild starts, with the 8 ACs below the coordinator level looking like the best on paper staff we've seen in Boulder for years.

Even with that positive spin, I still feel like I'm looking at a head coach who is a career .500 coach, has a history of lackluster recruiting and an antiquated offense, a marginal DC, and an OC with a solid record of making QBs and offenses worse.

And to top it all off, a HC that hired the most unqualified OL coach ever, massively overpaid him, and then sat on his hands as he floundered for 1.5 years.

How can the same person who managed that sh*t show do anything right other than by accident?
People seem to be glossing over what an absolute disaster Chev was the last few years. As you said, he was a cancer within the program and obviously his coaching was as bad as you will find. They will simply be better because of him not being in the program anymore.

I am not sure where this program is going, but there is some positivity in what Dorrell is doing with his assistant coaches and roster movement. They can't simply replace Gonzalez and Rice, but the rest can be replaced through the portal, which is still to be seen (Brown and Sneed are very good pickups though). I laugh at the doom and gloom with mostly JAG's leaving the program and most of those players are simply not P5 football players.

Don't focus on the exact number, focus on the concept: a player group can be a little bit better than before, but still not anywhere near good enough.

There's a lot of space between "better than 2021CU" and "good enough to get to a bowl game" and a **** ton between "better than 2021" and "good enough to be in the conversation for P12 south title."
I get the concept he's trying to convey, I guess I just don't believe the removal of Rod as OL coach, along with an addition like Tommy Brown and what I imagine will be at least 1-2 more transfers, equates to such a low level of improvement from last year that the group will only be marginally improved.

Marginal improvement was seen immediately after Rod was fired and a QC coach who hadn't really been working with the OL took over. Yes, there's a bit of projection on my part here, but I think the OL play will be noticeable improved in 2022 and it will make a difference.

Can you be more specific with your question?
I see a lot of fans focusing on player’s transferring and their potential PT, depth chart position, taking a step down, lateral move, etc. Many are based in animosity IMO.

The real key here is not the transferring player, but the impact on the CU team next year and going forward.

Agree?

Nick does a nice job at getting at this question IMO.

So far, on the transfer replacement side, I have

1) Sneed for Rice
2) Brown for Kutch/Pursell assuming Brown Is an OT and Wiley moves inside (?)
3) Maddox for ??

I grade this as C so far with Brown, D without.

Additional transfer ins expected this summer that should lessen blow of losing 6 starters and other depth pieces.

People seem to be glossing over what an absolute disaster Chev was the last few years. As you said, he was a cancer within the program and obviously his coaching was as bad as you will find. They will simply be better because of him not being in the program anymore.

I am not sure where this program is going, but there is some positivity in what Dorrell is doing with his assistant coaches and roster movement. They can't simply replace Gonzalez and Rice, but the rest can be replaced through the portal, which is still to be seen (Brown and Sneed are very good pickups though). I laugh at the doom and gloom with mostly JAG's leaving the program and most of those players are simply not P5 football players.
It’s been intimated that Chiv may be playing a role in some of the transfers and their discontent?

Who has info on this if true? If not, it should die

Would take an insider to know.

It’s been intimated that Chiv may be playing a role in some of the transfers and their discontent?

Who has info on this if true? If not, it should die

Would take an insider to know.
That would be someone within the program and that never, and I mean never happens. Good luck with that.

I get the concept he's trying to convey, I guess I just don't believe the removal of Rod as OL coach, along with an addition like Tommy Brown and what I imagine will be at least 1-2 more transfers, equates to such a low level of improvement from last year that the group will only be marginally improved.

Marginal improvement was seen immediately after Rod was fired and a QC coach who hadn't really been working with the OL took over. Yes, there's a bit of projection on my part here, but I think the OL play will be noticeable improved in 2022 and it will make a difference.

Competent coaching and marginal improvement still means a losing record. Sad!

I see a lot of fans focusing on player’s transferring and their potential PT, depth chart position, taking a step down, lateral move, etc. Many are based in animosity IMO.

The real key here is not the transferring player, but the impact on the CU team next year and going forward.

Agree?

Nick does a nice job at getting at this question IMO.

So far, on the transfer replacement side, I have

1) Sneed for Rice
2) Brown for Kutch/Pursell assuming Brown Is an OT and Wiley moves inside (?)
3) Maddox for ??

I grade this as C so far with Brown, D without.

Additional transfer ins expected this summer that should lessen blow of losing 6 starters and other depth pieces.
Yep, I would agree so far. This Summer, I hope for 1-2 more OL transfers so that whatever value we lost with Kutsch, Pursell, Ray and Lytle is backfilled.

We are still technically at a net negative at WR by losing Stanley and RB by losing Broussard, but WR and RB are the most replaceable positions on a roster where young guys can step in immediately, so I'm not overly concerned with those.

The loss of Gonzo and Blackmon are the two biggest and have yet to be replaced. They clearly like the young guys in Reed, Moore and Tyrin Taylor, although they seem to like Taylor at Safety, which is fine considering the depth there is thin as well. Adam has said in the past they are looking to add another CB and S, but not sure if that's portal or the HS kid that committed. Regardless, the CB position is going to be young next year, so hopefully they add an upperclassman this Summer.

Yep, I would agree so far. This Summer, I hope for 1-2 more OL transfers so that whatever value we lost with Kutsch, Pursell, Ray and Lytle is backfilled.

We are still technically at a net negative at WR by losing Stanley and RB by losing Broussard, but WR and RB are the most replaceable positions on a roster where young guys can step in immediately, so I'm not overly concerned with those.

The loss of Gonzo and Blackmon are the two biggest and have yet to be replaced. They clearly like the young guys in Reed, Moore and Tyrin Taylor, although they seem to like Taylor at Safety, which is fine considering the depth there is thin as well. Adam has said in the past they are looking to add another CB and S, but not sure if that's portal or the HS kid that committed. Regardless, the CB position is going to be young next year, so hopefully they add an upperclassman this Summer.
Obviously a big if, but this is a serviceable oline with decent coaching. Depth is awful, but it's always been awful

Brown, transfer, Lee/Fenske, Roddick, Fillip

Obviously a big if, but this is a serviceable oline with decent coaching. Depth is awful, but it's always been awful

Brown, transfer, Lee/Fenske, Roddick, Fillip
If the academic issues hadn't cost CU the Oklahoma State transfer, the OL would be looking very serviceable right now. Bringing in 2 more guys with a bit of experience will help immensely.

Lol
accusing some one of high school gossip when they are doing exactly the same thing. I don't know if Chev was a cancer or not. I wont indulge in speculations. I do know his play calling was bad last year, and his recruiting efforts have slipped. I also know Chev loves the progam. I can only rely on my personal experience with Chev.

Lol
accusing some one of high school gossip when they are doing exactly the same thing. I don't know if Chev was a cancer or not. I wont indulge in speculations. I do know his play calling was bad last year, and his recruiting efforts have slipped. I also know Chev loves the progam. I can only rely on my personal experience with Chev.
You're a cancer to allbuffs!

Lol
He’s a nice guy. Bless his and your little hearts.

While I think Brou was awesome for this team (used to love him, now I hate him…MSU), put me down as being high on Smith. If that guy gets a majority of the touches, I think he turns out better than Broussard. Or Clayton. Or whomever else.
He sure looks faster than anyone we had. I liked him a lot

We may be looking at another 5 or 6 additions. I don't know if that includes any more HS or JC signings (or just portal). But there's always spring attrition and it's normal to be over 85 in February.

Guys, I'm not sure we're actually worse in 2022. We may be better.
A well-stated, glowingly non-committal take, which feels incredibly post-positive after the month we’ve emotionally suffered through. I completely mirror this ultra-conflicted mid-range expression of Shawshank-esc hope, down to the nearly off-center of my pre-pandemic old bone growth plates, but only in my ankle bones, and only those on my oft injured left foot.

Yes. I’m losing it.

Last edited:

I wonder if we’re still in the running for the DB Jeudy from Vanderbilt.

I see that some of you are moving beyond disbelief and anger (see transfer portal thread) and into the bargaining phase. Soon you will reach acceptance and we’ll all cheer on a 3 win team. Yay!
I'm pleasantly surprised at position coaches that have been hired, especially at WR. A little skeptical on Sanford. Good news on the transfers Brown and Sneed. Sneed can play and from the highlight tapes he's the top WR on the team the day he walks in the door. One add at RB would be nice.

If the staff can add two more high potential experienced OL transfers and two high potential experienced DB transfers then my opinion on the job that KD is doing will begin to change. It's evident that some hard work has been going on. Let's see how everything shakes out in the games, obviously. Still a massive work in progress but there's hope.

Lol
Leaning over the rail to get a post game hand slap from Chev as the team exits the field does not qualify as a "personal experience." Just so we're clear.

Last edited:
Back