What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Depth Chart 2021 vs 2022

People seem to be glossing over what an absolute disaster Chev was the last few years. As you said, he was a cancer within the program and obviously his coaching was as bad as you will find. They will simply be better because of him not being in the program anymore.

I am not sure where this program is going, but there is some positivity in what Dorrell is doing with his assistant coaches and roster movement. They can't simply replace Gonzalez and Rice, but the rest can be replaced through the portal, which is still to be seen (Brown and Sneed are very good pickups though). I laugh at the doom and gloom with mostly JAG's leaving the program and most of those players are simply not P5 football players.
I said this in a different post: I would--almost--agree with a "grand plan" that involved attempting to essentially turn-over most of the second/third/fourth string "depth" that we have on our roster. Clearly, many of the non-starters on our depth chart are just not good enough to play in the PAC12. Fine. I get "quality depth," and it's critically important to grow the program.

However, when the players who are choosing the leave are the best young players on the team, and the starters, that worries me. If anyone had made a list of the best players on the team going into spring ball, I would venture to say all of them (except Lang?) have decided to leave on their own. That makes me skeptical that there was any "grand plan" going on. Sure, you CAN replace players like Broussard, but why would you want to have to? He's awesome, and we have very few players anyone would call awesome.

Finally, I absolutely agree about Chev. SO glad to see him go. I couldn't imagine having to deal with him as my coach for anything, and I had been hearing for a while (second hand) there were a number of players considering leaving if he stayed. Ironic at this point, of course.

I said this in a different post: I would--almost--agree with a "grand plan" that involved attempting to essentially turn-over most of the second/third/fourth string "depth" that we have on our roster. Clearly, many of the non-starters on our depth chart are just not good enough to play in the PAC12. Fine. I get "quality depth," and it's critically important to grow the program.

However, when the players who are choosing the leave are the best young players on the team, and the starters, that worries me. If anyone had made a list of the best players on the team going into spring ball, I would venture to say all of them (except Lang?) have decided to leave on their own. That makes me skeptical that there was any "grand plan" going on. Sure, you CAN replace players like Broussard, but why would you want to have to? He's awesome, and we have very few players anyone would call awesome.

Finally, I absolutely agree about Chev. SO glad to see him go. I couldn't imagine having to deal with him as my coach for anything, and I had been hearing for a while (second hand) there were a number of players considering leaving if he stayed. Ironic at this point, of course.
I am most certainly not making excuses for some of the bigger losses. They are flat bad attrition. However, Dorrell and Tucker are completely different in every way and when you are recruited by someone else and a new guy comes in and has a completely different vision/personality, its almost inevitable they are going to move on. It's really not any different than a company doing the same thing. Dorrell still needed to do whatever it took to keep Rice, Gonzalez, and Broussard, but that obviously didn't happen and I do think that is something we should be worried about. The rest of the attrition is whatever. I don't think it hurts or helps.

It's a year too late, but I do think this would have happened in 2020 if not for COVID. Ultimately, Dorrell is here for 2022 and 2023. This is most certainly not a 2012 team, which is laughable if you watched any of that season.

I think the top guys who have left on their own like Gonzo, Rice, Broussard, and Blackmon view 2022 as their last collegiate seasons if everything goes to plan and they are all deciding to use their free transfer to go to a team they believe they can still be impact players for, but on a bigger stage and for teams who have 9-10+ win expectations. To them, that sounds a lot better than staying on a rebuilding team that will struggle to win 5 games and likely won't do much for their draft stocks.

There are good and bad from this offseason so far.

The recruiting class is pretty bland. Not terrible, but no game breakers. I like Venn, Bowser, Tyson, Dixson and Kerry. They all seem to be guys who could play early, the rest look to be the type of players for which some coaching and development are needed. Big class, but probably a C overall.

The portal has been brutal. Sneed and Brown, if healthy, look like impact guys right away. Main, Hurtado, I have no idea. Kopp will probably be a devlopment guy too.

OL lost three, Kutsch, Pursell and Ray, added Brown. New OL coach. I am not sure that translates into a substantial improvement right now. Add a couple of ready to play grad transfers this summer and it could be an improvement.

TE, as long as Brady is here, it should be a wash. Maybe one of the younger guys comes on this year and improves the unit as a whole.

WR- Definitely a step back. Rice, Shenault, Miller, Carpenter. Sneed is a huge add, but less talent, less numbers.

RB- Lost three, JBrou, the starter, Clayton, the unrealized potential, and Davis a depth guy. Only add Venn, definitely weaker.

QB- Lots of guys in the room. Lots of potential, no proven leader in the clubhouse. BLew has a year under his belt, but it seems hard to know if QB will be better or worse. If BLew keeps the job, I would say likely better. Otherwise, you have another learning curve.

DL- Lang staying is huge. With Sami and the other DL, it will at least be about the same. Last year wasn't great, but there shouldn't be much drop off.

LB- Wells and Landman leaving. Too big of losses to not see a step back next year.

DB- Disaster. 3/4 starters gone including the best player Gonzo. Will be a mess back there. Add that the best pass rusher from a team that struggled to get to the QB and CU will be exposed in the pass game.

Coaching should be a step up. Sanford is a competent OC. The OL, DB and WR coaches should, theoretically be at least a wash or better. Cohesiveness on O should also help.

Overall, though, I don't see any position group that got markedly better, and some got worse.

I still think 2-4 wins is about where CU is looking at next year's schedule.

The recruiting class is pretty bland. Not terrible, but no game breakers. I like Venn, Bowser, Tyson, Dixson and Kerry. They all seem to be guys who could play early, the rest look to be the type of players for which some coaching and development are needed. Big class, but probably a C overall.

The portal has been brutal. Sneed and Brown, if healthy, look like impact guys right away. Main, Hurtado, I have no idea. Kopp will probably be a devlopment guy too.

OL lost three, Kutsch, Pursell and Ray, added Brown. New OL coach. I am not sure that translates into a substantial improvement right now. Add a couple of ready to play grad transfers this summer and it could be an improvement.

TE, as long as Brady is here, it should be a wash. Maybe one of the younger guys comes on this year and improves the unit as a whole.

WR- Definitely a step back. Rice, Shenault, Miller, Carpenter. Sneed is a huge add, but less talent, less numbers.

RB- Lost three, JBrou, the starter, Clayton, the unrealized potential, and Davis a depth guy. Only add Venn, definitely weaker.

QB- Lots of guys in the room. Lots of potential, no proven leader in the clubhouse. BLew has a year under his belt, but it seems hard to know if QB will be better or worse. If BLew keeps the job, I would say likely better. Otherwise, you have another learning curve.

DL- Lang staying is huge. With Sami and the other DL, it will at least be about the same. Last year wasn't great, but there shouldn't be much drop off.

LB- Wells and Landman leaving. Too big of losses to not see a step back next year.

DB- Disaster. 3/4 starters gone including the best player Gonzo. Will be a mess back there. Add that the best pass rusher from a team that struggled to get to the QB and CU will be exposed in the pass game.

Coaching should be a step up. Sanford is a competent OC. The OL, DB and WR coaches should, theoretically be at least a wash or better. Cohesiveness on O should also help.

Overall, though, I don't see any position group that got markedly better, and some got worse.

Good post that I mostly agree with.

One comment on BLew having a leg up at QB. I'm assuming with a new OC comes a new playbook that everyone will need to learn. That definitely levels the playing field quite a bit for Shrout.

One comment on BLew having a leg up at QB. I'm assuming with a new OC comes a new playbook that everyone will need to learn. That definitely levels the playing field quite a bit for Shrout.
True, but 12 games facing live bullets can only help BLew. It will be interesting to see. Some reports indicate Shrout was going to get the nod before the injury. Spring practices and fall camp should have a lot of competition. BLew, Shrout will be going head to head, but I am intrigued by Kopp and McCown.

I think that is all fair. I do think we still see at least 3-5 more players entering the portal/being processed out and another 5 or so coming in. I think we are still a little ways off from what the final roster looks like.

Adam has mentioned that the staff is going to go hard after DB's and DL's in the portal. They are obviously still pursuing at least one more olineman from the portal and another HS DB.

Last edited:
I think the top guys who have left on their own like Gonzo, Rice, Broussard, and Blackmon view 2022 as their last collegiate seasons if everything goes to plan and they are all deciding to use their free transfer to go to a team they believe they can still be impact players for, but on a bigger stage and for teams who have 9-10+ win expectations. To them, that sounds a lot better than staying on a rebuilding team that will struggle to win 5 games and likely won't do much for their draft stocks.
I think that is fair, along with the fact that NIL seems to have caught the AD by surprise. I do not think it's KD's job to be putting together the NIL program.

Just like I didn't think it was Mike Mac's job to tip-toe thru the minefield of properly reporting the phone call he had from Tumpkin's long time girlfriend who spilled the beans that Tumpkin was a monster. The AD should have made sure it was handled correctly right after HCMM reported it to RG. Sign here, here and here Mike. Now get back out to practice! Unbelievable display of incompetence.

Why the **** do we still have Neil Woelk being PAID to write fluff articles that only 80 year old geezers bother to read when we could have brought in someone to put together NIL a year ago? I'm 60 and I block that ****. Rick - it DOES NOT WORK. Hire another social media marketing person instead!

I don't trust a guy who's so stupid to advertise on his public twitter that he's a strong supporter of Trump, Boebert etc. The AD should not have any suggestions whatsoever that they don't support BLM, voting rights, etc. Get that **** off your twitter ass hole. SELF UNAWARE?

And the crappy brown hair dye you use to cover up your gray looks ridiculous! Do you not know how dumb that looks?

I'm done taking shots at KD. Not his fault that Rick hired him. But the staff changes are much better than I thought possible, and I'm seeing better attempts at recruiting. It's pretty clear to me that KD gets another 2 years and the AD has bought in that this is a rebuild. So I see no further reason to harp on KD.

4 wins and looking competitive/belonging the last month of season would be a pretty good outcome for 2022. I’d rather go 3-9 and look like we can play with UO/USC/Utah than go 4-8/5-7 and get blown out entire last month.
Best case is 4-5 wins heading into Nov and young guys looking better every week.

True, but 12 games facing live bullets can only help BLew. It will be interesting to see. Some reports indicate Shrout was going to get the nod before the injury. Spring practices and fall camp should have a lot of competition. BLew, Shrout will be going head to head, but I am intrigued by Kopp and McCown.
BLew will get live bullets again in SpringJTbwill be limited to individual drills if I recall correctly what Adam said.

I'd be targeting:

2 DBs
1 OL
1 (or 2) pash rushers

And I would not be looking at HS for these guys.

Can we look to the NFL? NCAA Rules have changed this year to allow pretty much anything. Money is AOk! 👍🏻 Let’s go big.
Good question. If someone, for example, left school early but didn't make an NFL roster - does he have eligibility left under the new rules if he wants to go back & get his degree?

Edit: isn't that exactly what happened with Mustafa last year, just with a return to the same school?

Good question. If someone, for example, left school early but didn't make an NFL roster - does he have eligibility left under the new rules if he wants to go back & get his degree?

Edit: isn't that exactly what happened with Mustafa last year, just with a return to the same school?
Exactly, except they made him wait four games, because we have to deal with rules, while ASU can cheat on camera with no sanctions.

Especially if it seems like they are trying to jam the WCO / pro style o

Looks like T lang is staying. That is good news. The defense has a chance to be good this year. I still think we need a replacement for Landman.

Looks like T lang is staying. That is good news. The defense has a chance to be good this year. I still think we need a replacement for Landman.
Explain. In what ways could the defense be good in 2022?

We saw, first hand, what this defense looks like minus Landman while he was out in 2021. They were terrible. Awful. And 2022 will now lack any trace of a pass rush (i.e. no C Wells) and the secondary is now colossally inexperienced. Inexperienced secondaries are almost always way worse than experienced secondaries. So no pass rush and an inexperienced secondary. That is an OC/QB fantasy land. Gonna get lit up. A lot.

Last edited:
It is January not August. Still time for player development and arrivals to help replace Landman.
jennifer lawrence ok GIF

Best case scenario 2-3 wins…but 0-1 wins seems more likely. I can’t remember a CU roster with less talent than the one that will take the field in ‘22.

Best case scenario 2-3 wins…but 0-1 wins seems more likely. I can’t remember a CU roster with less talent than the one that will take the field in ‘22.
I think if you look at the production of the impact offensive players we lost (Rice, Broussard and Stanley), you’ll find that they are very replaceable, particularly Rice and Stanley. Broussard was an impact player against UNC and OSU, but otherwise, was below average statistically. Of course that has a lot to do with the OL and playcalling, but point is, this team won 4 games with a historically bad offense and no real consistent, impact production from any of the “stars”.

The defensive losses cause bigger issues, especially in the Secondary, and are less replaceable than the offensive player losses, but they did beat UW and OSU without Landman.

Back