What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

If he's right, and we go to three power conferences of 20 each, CU almost assuredly will have a seat.

If his lower end estimate is right (55 power teams) it gets really dicey for CU. CU absolutely has to nail this next move.

If it's 50 or fewer, welcome to G5, CU!
This is why I think CU needs to work it's way east. In 5 years, other than the LA market, CFB is not going to really worry too much about anything west of the Rockies. And if you think about it, if UO and UW really had the clout they think they do, they'd have been snatched up by now.

If he's right, and we go to three power conferences of 20 each, CU almost assuredly will have a seat.

If his lower end estimate is right (55 power teams) it gets really dicey for CU. CU absolutely has to nail this next move.

If it's 50 or fewer, welcome to G5, CU!
Just to expand on this point, after this next round of realignment, there will be 68 schools in the P5 + ND:

1658435036555.png

Assume no one from B1G or SEC gets left out- that's 28 spots right there. Neither is ND. If it goes to 60, CU has to be a more attractive "take" than just 9 of the remaining 40 schools (WSU, OSU, Wake Forest, KSU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, Louisville, TCU would seem to be the prime candidates to me).

If it goes to 55, you've got to find 5 more schools that CU is more attractive than. I'd argue ISU, KU, NC State, Duke, maybe BC do less to move the needle from a football viewpoint.

If it goes to 50, you've got to find 5 more. Virginia? Arizona? WVU? Maybe the B1G or SEC kicks out some smaller members? I could see any of those programs making an argument over CU, just as I could see CU making an argument over them.

Greeeeeat secondary option. We're going to end up with a glorified G5 conference.

Pac12 North
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Cal
Stanford

Pac12 South
Utah
Colorado
Fresno State or UNLV
San Diego State
Arizona State
Arizona
Slices of pie getting smaller and smaller unless newbies accept less than full share.

Fire This Is Fine GIF

If the B12 wanted to be cutthroat about it, they would take ASU, AZ then CU or Utah and SDSU. By gutting three quality mid-tier P12 properties and SDSU, they would get the SD, Phoenix and Denver or Salt Lake markets, get a foothold in SoCal and foreclose the P12 from SoCal. The P12 would be neutered and relegated to a NW corner of the country conference.

If the B12 wanted to be cutthroat about it, they would take ASU, AZ then CU or Utah and SDSU. By gutting three quality mid-tier P12 properties and SDSU, they would get the SD, Phoenix and Denver or Salt Lake markets, get a foothold in SoCal and foreclose the P12 from SoCal. The P12 would be neutered and relegated to a NW corner of the country conference.

Eastern Washington, Boise St, Gonzaga football team, Idaho, Sac. St, San Jose St, Fresno St, Nevada, Wyoming be like

fetchimage

It wouldn’t play well with other Big12 members, but buying the 4C schools with a higher rev share or certain incentives (full ownership of their own bowl money or something) would be prudent for the conference long term. And also, yes, getting SDSU to close SoCal off from the Pac 6

$50-60? Is B12 giving CU unequal revenue rights?
Hardly. None of the Pac teams will be offered preferential treatment. They'll be required to sign the same grant of rights agreement as all the other members. They can take it, or they can flounder in a watered down conference making maybe $20 million with no playoff access fantasizing that some year they might receive a P2 invite. As I said, it seems like a no brainer to me.

It's looking more and more like the Big 12 media package may be split among multiple bidders: CBS, NBC, Fox, ESPN, and some digital (Amazon?). Assuming the 6 Pac teams grab the Big 12 life preserver, the Big 12 will have an inventory that covers 18 teams representing all time zones across the country. It's likely the media package will be significantly higher than what most folks are expecting.

Kinda surprised we didn’t get a public vote of confidence, leak thru Brian/Neil, or statement about how we stand together with the Pac after last night

RG was just on KOA with Big Al and our future HC. He said, basically, that “we believe in our (Pac) brand and are sticking together. Whe asked about adding teams he said, “We’ll see.” Hmm.

Just to expand on this point, after this next round of realignment, there will be 68 schools in the P5 + ND:

View attachment 52925

Assume no one from B1G or SEC gets left out- that's 28 spots right there. Neither is ND. If it goes to 60, CU has to be a more attractive "take" than just 9 of the remaining 40 schools (WSU, OSU, Wake Forest, KSU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, Louisville, TCU would seem to be the prime candidates to me).

If it goes to 55, you've got to find 5 more schools that CU is more attractive than. I'd argue ISU, KU, NC State, Duke, maybe BC do less to move the needle from a football viewpoint.

If it goes to 50, you've got to find 5 more. Virginia? Arizona? WVU? Maybe the B1G or SEC kicks out some smaller members? I could see any of those programs making an argument over CU, just as I could see CU making an argument over them.
Hmmm....Iowa State embarrassed Oregon in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago and was ranked in the top 10 for part of last season. Their TV ratings are much higher than Colorado's. But yeah, they don't move the needle vs. CU.

Back