What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Read another way, the entire leadership is and has been weak for quite some time and now has an ingrained culture of mediocrity while patting themselves on the back for being woke and hoping for a job at Berkeley.

( And don’t turn this into politics. They can be as woke as they want but SHOW SOME F***ING RESULTS!!!)
Lol, don't turn it into politics?

Read another way, the entire leadership is and has been weak for quite some time and now has an ingrained culture of mediocrity while patting themselves on the back for being woke and hoping for a job at Berkeley.

( And don’t turn this into politics. They can be as woke as they want but SHOW SOME F***ING RESULTS!!!)
I'd characterize it more as living in their bubble and not having a lot of awareness of life outside that bubble. Anyway, the result is the same. Lack of the tools to see the picture well enough to deliver good vision.

We currently sit behind such academic powerhouses as North Carolina State, Michigan State, Ohio State, Florida State, all of the UC schools, Auburn, Delaware, Denver, SUNY Buffalo, TCU, and SMU…and others

SUNY Buffalo!! What a f***ing joke

Buffalo is the flagship school of the SUNY system so they’d get higher rankings from a state with that many people and money.

But Delaware…I’m like c’mon!

Go woke go broke

He probably has to take that position in public. Keeping the P12 engaged in keeping CU and playing hard to get with the B12 is probably smart, at least for public consumption. Behind the scenes, I would think CU would be working every angle to see what the best situation would be. But given past history, there is an even money chance CU is just floating along until a decision has to be made.
I think he is, or at least the decision makers are, committed to staying in the Pac. He believes the Pac is in a unique position geographically. He believes the Pac’s strength is owning the West Coast market.

I'm looking forward to at least another month of this before we know what CU's conference looks like.
So this thread started exactly 3 weeks ago (6/30) today. O/U on how many pages before the tweet is posted that discloses where CU will be playing football in 2024 set at 300

I'm looking forward to at least another month of this before we know what CU's conference looks like.
mister rogers middle finger GIF

We’ll have already came to the conclusion that D2 RMAC would be too tough thanks to Mines & CSU Pueblo and will be discussing the best D3 spot before that happens LOL.

I'm looking at historic us news and world report rankings and we have actually dropped since we moved to the PAC 12. I don't know what other rankings are popular but for all the **** regents talk how are they not improving that ranking?
As you may know one of the Ivys withdrew from these ranking when their math department couldnt make USNWR numbers add up.

As I understand it the USNWR does some surveys and tracking of graduates. Diminishing employment or underemployment could be a factor hurting us. The percentage of graduates by degree could be hurting us. The cost of the education itself could be another. Given that half the students at CU are from out of state that raises the average cost compared to schools that are 60% in state and 40% out of state.

We currently sit behind such academic powerhouses as North Carolina State, Michigan State, Ohio State, Florida State, all of the UC schools, Auburn, Delaware, Denver, SUNY Buffalo, TCU, and SMU…and others

SUNY Buffalo!! What a f***ing joke
CU has always been behind Denver. The others, not so much.

something has to happen soon--- recruiting is really ****ing challenging when you have no idea if you are selling a power conference or something else. and you have no idea who you will be playing in conference in a few years. etc. etc.

RG is happy because they threw in some new shoes he can feature in his social media posts! New shoes for TMFW!

I guess CU is waiting for RG to get his Big 12 themed shoes before breaking the news that CU is going back to the Big 12.

Just to expand on this point, after this next round of realignment, there will be 68 schools in the P5 + ND:

View attachment 52925

Assume no one from B1G or SEC gets left out- that's 28 spots right there. Neither is ND. If it goes to 60, CU has to be a more attractive "take" than just 9 of the remaining 40 schools (WSU, OSU, Wake Forest, KSU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, Louisville, TCU would seem to be the prime candidates to me).

If it goes to 55, you've got to find 5 more schools that CU is more attractive than. I'd argue ISU, KU, NC State, Duke, maybe BC do less to move the needle from a football viewpoint.

If it goes to 50, you've got to find 5 more. Virginia? Arizona? WVU? Maybe the B1G or SEC kicks out some smaller members? I could see any of those programs making an argument over CU, just as I could see CU making an argument over them.

Assuming only football matters...

Here are the ACC / B12 / Pac12 teams with lower ratings in 2021 than Colorado (#64 366k), : Duke (64k), Boston College (156k), Syracuse (219k), Cal (222k), Houston (232k), Oregon State (321k), Arizona 337k
Here are the ACC / B12 / Pac12 teams with less than 1M average viewers despite significantly better years than Colorado (bowl game or better): UCF (407k), Washington State (483k), NC State (525k), Wake Forest (526k), Pittsburgh (550k), Virginia (611k), Louisville (616k), K State (636k), Texas Tech (798k), Utah (994k)

So just by the numbers it's close since that's 17 schools, and you also have to consider market overlap / desirability (e.g., it's hard for me to believe that NCSU won't rank as a top priority for whatever of the two doesn't land UNC), comparability of TV deals that enable those ratings (e.g., UCF would have much higher ratings in a power conference),and administrative support that makes it likely to grow interest in the program.

The schools that you listed that aren't above:
- Cincinatti (1.26M) - an outlier year, would want to see how they did a couple of years ago in the ratings, but still clearly have admin support and are in a big market, academics and market overlap would be an issue for the Big Ten
- Iowa State (1.29M) - likely a take before CU, only argument is sheer size of market and general population growth trends
- TCU (907k) - if Big Ten can get comfortable with the academics, most likely a take before CU, probably not true of the SEC given the existing Texas footprint
- KU (540k) - I mean this one shocked me - but the numbers are what they are. Most likely a take before CU
- WVU (948k) - similar argument as with Iowa State

Finally, SEC and Big Ten schools that have fewer viewers than Colorado:
- Vanderbilt (37k)

Uh, yeah, that's it.

Another takeaway - as a Wake alum - Wake should not be at the head of these lists as the primary example of program that doesn't deserve to be in a power conference.It is a well run program with lots of booster investment and that stands for something - with many more viewers than many much larger schools.

Just listened to the most recent Solid Verbal podcast and now I want to know Dan Carlin’s Allbuffs handle, lol.
The hosts asked him a couple of times about his message board posting. He kept skirting the question, but did say that he has been on one board for many years, and has posted only 10 to 15 times when things are bad. Mods, earn your salary and figure this out for us.

Back