What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Here's what doesn't make sense to me on the math.

Allegedly, whether it's the 4C or CU/UA/Cal/Furd, the combination of 4 Pac programs is valuable enough to earn more money for themselves and twelve Big 12 partners.

Also, 2 other Pac members - UO & UW - are more valuable than any of the 6 programs mentioned that could be the revenue-increasing 4 which would be welcomed to the Big 12.

But we are supposed to believe this while also believing the Pac has negligible media value.

It doesn't add up.

im-playing-both-sides-both-sides.gif

seriously he seems to break the P12 teams down in such weird ways. CU + Arizona is revenue positive apparently, but adding ASU and Utah is a net negative. Stanford + Cal + CU + Zona is a positive now apparently?

Wazzu seems to fair oddly well on TV metrics, like who is dragging the P12 down so hard? Meanwhile the B12 added a bunch of bottom tier teams that seem to fair really poorly with TV ratings despite recent success, yet P12 money is bad bad bad

I must be missing something. Why would ND care about Stanford?
Three reasons-history between the two, similar academics, and easy access to Cali. Scheer said on SLC radio that when/if ND does go to the Big 10, he thinks Stanford likely goes with them. Why wouldn't they go to the WCC and ask about the same arrangement BYU has had with that league for the last decade?

Only way WV guy is right on Stanford going to the Big 12 is if they decide to take the entire Pac 10.

Last edited:
stanford and cal to the remnant "big" 12 makes some sense if you look at this holistically. ... which all the schools are mostly incapable of doing.

take the pac leftovers--- all 10. add the "big" 12 -- all the members. grab 2 more teams to get to 24. break it into 4 six team pods that are geographically sensible. seed and flex the schedule and have a playoff system. you have every time zone, every market, and an interesting and compelling set up of scheduling.

but, instead we have uo allegedly wanting a larger share to hold the "pac" together. we have b12 schools allegedly thinking that they are somehow stronger without the addition of the pac. we have everyone trying to find a way into either the sec or big. whatever. it is dumb and short-sighted. a super conference of 24 as comprised as i described is interesting, draws eyeballs, and doesn't require any team to fellate the big or sec.

but, whatever, carry on.

Next week should be the end of the 30 day exclusive media negotiation rights for ESPN & Fox. That means other media companies can bid on the P12 rights. Maybe it will clarify where CU is going to be.

Next week should be the end of the 30 day exclusive media negotiation rights for ESPN & Fox. That means other media companies can bid on the P12 rights. Maybe it will clarify where CU is going to be.
Its August 4th, so we've got another week plus to go.

Its August 4th, so we've got another week plus to go.

PAC made that announcement on July 1st and that is when that 30 day clock started. That ends next week.

Also August 1st could be essential for timing issues if CU was to depart. USC & UCLA are officially joining the B1G on August 2, 2024 due to the dating of the PAC GoR. The Big 12 supposedly gave us 30 days to accept an invite.

PAC made that announcement on July 1st and that is when that 30 day clock started. That ends next week.

Also August 1st could be essential for timing issues if CU was to depart. USC & UCLA are officially joining the B1G on August 2, 2024 due to the dating of the PAC GoR. The Big 12 supposedly gave us 30 days to accept an invite.

You're wrong. It was July 4th. Yormark doesn't take over as commish until August 1, so I'm sure we won't hear anything this next week.

Last edited:
I must be missing something. Why would ND care about Stanford?

They seem easily replaceable on ND’s schedule and I can’t imagine ND is after the Bay Area recruiting. They’ve played 35 times - for comparison CU has played Utah 68 times, Kansas State 66 times, and Iowa State 65 times. None of those really became rivalries.

ND has a huge presence in the bay area including a physical campus of some kind. They have a lot of alums and like CU get a lot of students from california. California exports a lot of HS graduates to other states Universities.

Not every decision is based purely around who has a good football team and who doesnt.

Last edited:
ND has a huge presence in the bay area including a physical campus of some kind. They have a lot of alums and like CU get a lot of students from california. California exports a lot of HS graduates to other states Universities.

Not every decision is based purely around who has a good football team and who doesnt.
Stanford isn’t going out of business, they have plenty of money and will be fine. ND can schedule them no matter what conference they are in (or if they go independent), so I still don’t see why ND would give a rip which conference Stanford ends up in.

Stanford isn’t going out of business, they have plenty of money and will be fine. ND can schedule them no matter what conference they are in (or if they go independent), so I still don’t see why ND would give a rip which conference Stanford ends up in.
And this whole idea of needing to play in the Bay Area in order to recruit is laughable. ND is arguably the biggest brand in CFB and can recruit whomever and wherever they want regardless of where they are playing

Stanford & Cal were most likely the two schools sticking their noses up at B12 schools during all this realignment stuff the past 15 years. It's rubbed off on our admin over time too. F Cal, their politics, & their debt. This is sports. I want passion, I want fandom, I want a better TV deal for us. Seeing things where the ESPN deal is low. We won't lose recruits in CA, we'll gain recruits in TX. We need to seriously get our sports in a passionate and rewarding conference ASAP.

And WTF is anyone sticking their nose up at KU, BYU, TCU, Baylor, ISU academics (those are damn good academic schools), and talking about Boise St - a school who LITERALLY WAS A JUCO!! - UNLV, SDSU, Hawaii, etc ... Sorry, I'd much prefer to park our athletics in the B12 the next dozen years or however long it is til the big NCAA breakaway, which we will be a part of. The PAC is a dead man walking, and one or two UO-UW-Furd will be gone and we'll be left for dead even further

Am I the only one who stopped paying attention to this?

All the news is a whole lot of nothing
I stop by to check out the latest posts but skip most. There doesn’t seem to be anything but speculation out there right now

for those of you too cheap to read this:

CU averages viewers higher than EVERY big12 remnant team.

the remaining PAC teams average much higher attendance than the remnant big12.

the late time slot is worth a lot (as we have been saying since espn needs the inventory).

mandel now forecasting that if the pac holds together (no sure thing if uo demands unequal rev sharing), it will have a deal that looks like the acc deal. in other words, better than the remnant big 12 deal but still half or less of what the big and sec will earn.

I stop by to check out the latest posts but skip most. There doesn’t seem to be anything but speculation out there right now
The title of the thread will change, I suspect, when something happens. Or a new thread will appear. That’s your cue.

TEAMVIEWERS
Oregon1.96 million
Stanford1.83 million
Washington1.73 million
Washington State1.59 million
Colorado1.49 million
Utah1.44 million
Oklahoma State1.28 million
California1.27 million
TCU1.22 million
Arizona State1.19 million
West Virginia1.10 million
Baylor1.07 million
Iowa State1.04 million
Texas Tech866,000
Arizona815,000
Kansas State748,000
Oregon State723,000
Kansas409,000
It’s a good article. I would like to see the individual games for each team. My only complaint.

Here is something worth reading.
Some really good commentary from Mandel in the piece, but the chart below is the crux of it all. IMO, the three best options in order:

1. Full merger, add 2 to get to 24, and then fully embrace the 1030 ET slot, along with Friday evening and night double headers.
2. Since a merger isn't going to happen, next best option would be the Pac trying to poach 5 Big 12 programs (OSU, TCU, BYU, Cincy, WVU) and adding SDSU to get to 16 and embracing the same model of being the evening and night cap conference.
3. If they aren't going to raid the Big 12, grab SDSU and one other G5 (I probably prefer Boise due to national brand, but SMU to get into CTZ makes sense too I guess).

No matter what, the key as Mandel discusses, is embracing the night time slots.

1658762473045.png

Last edited:
Back