What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I think adding BIGXII teams to the PAC12 lends national credibility and in-conference interest within the CTZ. The PAC12 is viewed as a gimmicky conference that has no bearing on a national stage. I think the sum of the parts is less than the whole and both conferences win in a merger.
What bearing does the UT/OK-less BigXII have on a national stage? No playoff teams in that motley crew.

TEAMVIEWERS
Oregon1.96 million
Stanford1.83 million
Washington1.73 million
Washington State1.59 million
Colorado1.49 million
Utah1.44 million
Oklahoma State1.28 million
California1.27 million
TCU1.22 million
Arizona State1.19 million
West Virginia1.10 million
Baylor1.07 million
Iowa State1.04 million
Texas Tech866,000
Arizona815,000
Kansas State748,000
Oregon State723,000
Kansas409,000
This is the first actual bit of good news I've seen during this whole fiasco. Media numbers drive leverage at this point. I didn't realize we had any.

Now if CU Admin will just step off its own d*** long enough to use it.

Last edited:
The longer this goes without a move, the less likely it is that any move is made. Feels like after the initial shock of the defections wore off, and some actual analysis was done, that the PAC still has value that likely exceeds that of the B12. Regardless of where we end up, I think it’s obvious we wont be swimming in money.

The Big 12 ratings are definitely a victim of having to play in the slots where there is going to be significant competition from B1G and SEC (and even ACC), though. IMO, you do have to consider the idea of Oklahoma State, TCU, Cincinnati, BYU, TTU, etc playing in the late time slot and what they would bring, which is why I think the Pac poaching 5 and adding SDSU is ideal
Yeah but what 5 are you going to take? All of them have major warts.
  • OK State is 2nd fiddle in a smaller state, and with no major media market. Don't discount the fact that their HC is a far-right wackadoo. The last two coaches that were that way in the P12 got run off pretty quickly.
  • TCU has success and a major media market. But they're not a major player in their market, and they are a religious school.
  • Baylor is a combination of the two (small market religious school) with success. Small-ish following
  • BYU would make the most sense if it weren't for the problems with scheduling and religious school.
  • WVU is a good brand, but it's all the way on the other side of the country.
  • ISU might make sense, actually, but Iowa is pretty small and they are clearly the second program in that state.
  • KState and TT are in TINY markets
  • Kansas doesn't give a **** about football
  • Cincy, UCF, and Houston are tiny G5 schools.

I can see maybe making a case for OK State, ISU, TCU, but after that it gets dicey to me.

The longer this goes without a move, the less likely it is that any move is made. Feels like after the initial shock of the defections wore off, and some actual analysis was done, that the PAC still has value that likely exceeds that of the B12. Regardless of where we end up, I think it’s obvious we wont be swimming in money.
Wrong. Again, you're talking out of your ass. We have 10 days left in the exclusive negotiating window. Nobody moves (if moves happen) until that ends.

Wrong. Again, you're talking out of your ass. We have 10 days left in the exclusive negotiating window. Nobody moves (if moves happen) until that ends.
Everybody is talking out of their ass. I’m not alone. Are you going to argue that the figures we are starting to see now paint a picture that puts the likelihood of a move higher than it was two weeks ago? To me, the momentum seems to be swinging away from a move towards staying in the PAC.

New thread title.
do it conan obrien GIF by Team Coco

I think that PACN becomes a streaming service focused on non-revenue sports and basketball overflow.
Admitting complete ignorance here, but how is the PACN funded? Assuming it comes out of media rights deal ... wouldn't everyone get more % if its just scrapped altogether?

Everybody is talking out of their ass. I’m not alone. Are you going to argue that the figures we are starting to see now paint a picture that puts the likelihood of a move higher than it was two weeks ago? To me, the momentum seems to be swinging away from a move towards staying in the PAC.

The idea that momentum seems to be swinging away from a move.......is your bias. Window announced on the 5th of July. 30 days from then is August 4th. If there is any movement, it won't happen until after that date. Another thing with the Mandel study-Its flawed for a couple of reasons. One, Stanford's games with Notre Dame are still included. If you're excluding games against Texas, UCLA, USC, and Oklahoma, why aren't you excluding games against Notre Dame? Two, of course the Pac 12 draws better than the Big 12 because of the late night window. The main competition for content there is the MWC-while the Big 12 plays all day and competes against the brands of the SEC and the Big 10. Three, why aren't the Big 12's additions involved in this study? Seems like it would make sense to include BYU because they're a brand and Cincinnati because they did something that the Pac 12 hasn't done in five years last year.

Whether this conference stays together comes down to two things. I think we can assume that if it does, the P12N content will wind up on most likely ESPN+ in some form or fashion-
One, ESPN by itself isn't enough. The conference needs another partner here. Odds are its an Amazon or an Apple-but I don't think you can rule out the Pac 10 going to NBC and trying to sell itself as a post ND partner or a bid from CBS. Only thing you can probably rule out at this point in time is FOX remaining as a Pac 12 partner.
Two, the PNW schools need to back off the unequal revenue sharing plan. I know Oregon and Washington are driving that, but OSU/WSU are going to do whatever Big Brother tells them to. There is no way in hell the four corners schools in particular will go for that, and they shouldn't.

Last edited:
UCF and Houston are actually huge schools.
I assume that this was in regards to my post.

I meant that they are tiny G5 programs with commensurate followings. College Football News produced a look at FBS programs by 5 year attendance averages prior to the pandemic:

UCF is 60th and Houston is 70th. Although, I will say that they finish above WSU and UCF is above Oregon State.

Portland State is the biggest college in Oregon and is located directly in the largest metro, yet no one is talking about going after their football program.

I assume that this was in regards to my post.

I meant that they are tiny G5 programs with commensurate followings. College Football News produced a look at FBS programs by 5 year attendance averages prior to the pandemic:

UCF is 60th and Houston is 70th. Although, I will say that they finish above WSU and UCF is above Oregon State.

Portland State is the biggest college in Oregon and is located directly in the largest metro, yet no one is talking about going after their football program.
I've been to a couple UH games. They're a sad affair.

Since it is largely a commuter school with a lot of night school folks, they definitely get a major boost.
Yup, enrollment numbers don't mean a lot when those students aren't on campus on weekends.

I looked up Colorado colleges by enrolment and was shocked to see #3 on the list.

1. CU Boulder 37,437
2. CSU Fort Collins 32,428
3. See the shocker 28,244

Colorado Technical University Colorado Springs 28,244

As an interesting comparison and similar to Houston but with a much smaller enrollment is Metro at 19,086. Even sharing a campus with CU Denver and Community College of Denver that campus is dead on weekends and at night. Still some people going to and from night and weekend classes but nobody is there for social reasons.

It would be interesting to do a survey on the Houston campus to find out how many students could name more than a couple players and how many were actually fans of other schools.

UCF is the largest public university in the country in terms of enrollment. They are cranking out a ton of alumni that are increasingly supportive of the football program as they continue to climb the ladder. It was a great add by the Big 12 in terms of future growth. They could be a powerhouse in 10-15 years

Plus, as you pointed out earlier, if the Big12 makes any moves it almost certainly won't be until after Yormark officially takes office on Aug. 1st.

Plus, as you pointed out earlier, if the Big12 makes any moves it almost certainly won't be until after Yormark officially takes office on Aug. 1st.
True. Biggest thing with this to me is UO/UW backing off the unequal revenue idea. There is no way in hell that anybody with a choice goes for that.

Back