What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Even in San Diego nobody watches SDSU, SMU and some other schools may be in Texas but that doesn't mean people care about them. In Texas most people care about UT and A&M. Those are the schools that get ratings.

Those schools would only dilute an already too small pie.

It would be like saying the B12 should add DU as a basketball member because it would give them a school in Denver and grab that market.

It's all about carriage rates assuming that the PAC retains the P12N or sells it to someone like ESPN.

Man, reading posts from some of you explains just how dense the PAC has become, and why we are facing what we are. The delusion and complete ignorance of the situation makes my stomach turn for our University's athletics. There are no schools we can add that will help us, but in fact will only hurt us. MAYBE, SDSU would be net-neutral for us, a big MAYBE. All other g5's are going to dilute our media rights value. There is no magic wand to wave to warp that fact into fantasy for some of you. The B12 grabbed just about any non P5 school that is worth something and that doesn't dilute the rights value. They passed on schools we're talking about taking. There is no B12 school coming here to take less money, less passion, and less exposure for their time zone. The B12 is going to have their media rights value above ours in the neighborhood of $10M+ per school, and that doesn't include what they do with their Tier 3 rights in the next iteration of the media rights. If the number being floated around for the PAC from ESPN is accurate, and seems very likely it is, then our admin sitting us in thus conference past '24 will be damn near criminal.

It's all about carriage rates assuming that the PAC retains the P12N or sells it to someone like ESPN.
But again none of those schools drive people to subscribe, they don't generate viewers thus they don't generate revenue.

There is a reason ESPN was willing to try the Longhorn Network but no Mustang Network. Same reason that NBC is willing to pay Notre Dame but not say a Georgetown or BYU. It is all about how many people watch.

Wilner yesterday, after earlier claiming the PAC "blows away" the Big XII in value based on Mandel's BS, then ends the day saying "it's not clear the Big XII adds that much value... And why would PAC teams leave for just a few million more dollars..." That's a notable change in tone for a single 24 hour period.

Obviously, if that $24.5 per team/ per year offer is a legit number, let's assume it's a low-ball during this exclusive period from ESPN and that after August 4 other players will get involved and drive the number up.

Man, reading posts from some of you explains just how dense the PAC has become, and why we are facing what we are. The delusion and complete ignorance of the situation makes my stomach turn for our University's athletics. There are no schools we can add that will help us, but in fact will only hurt us. MAYBE, SDSU would be net-neutral for us, a big MAYBE. All other g5's are going to dilute our media rights value. There is no magic wand to wave to warp that fact into fantasy for some of you. The B12 grabbed just about any non P5 school that is worth something and that doesn't dilute the rights value. They passed on schools we're talking about taking. There is no B12 school coming here to take less money, less passion, and less exposure for their time zone. The B12 is going to have their media rights value above ours in the neighborhood of $10M+ per school, and that doesn't include what they do with their Tier 3 rights in the next iteration of the media rights. If the number being floated around for the PAC from ESPN is accurate, and seems very likely it is, then our admin sitting us in thus conference past '24 will be damn near criminal.

doom. we are ****ing doomed.

i for one am happy to rejoin the remnant 12 if that delivers the most bang for our buck. we can really get our hate back on if that is our path. lean into the darkness. the conference lineup is like a list of instant one-liner insults. every week will be a monkey poo flinging contest. we can sit on our high furry cows in Boulder and slander each and every opponent we face in new and traditional scurrilous ways.

i saw some thread on twitter amongst the big 12 critters talking about how "nice and polite" byu has been and how that is a ray of sunshine. we are like the anti-mormons. ****, two of our alums have a hit broadway play about it.

a midnight sun is on the horizon and casting its evil light on the b12. we are almost back.

why the **** not? someone has to be a villain in any good allegorical tale played out via sports. it might as well be us.

Wilner yesterday, after earlier claiming the PAC "blows away" the Big XII in value based on Mandel's BS, then ends the day saying "it's not clear the Big XII adds that much value... And why would PAC teams leave for just a few million more dollars..." That's a notable change in tone for a single 24 hour period.

Obviously, if that $24.5 per team/ per year offer is a legit number, let's assume it's a low-ball during this exclusive period from ESPN and that after August 4 other players will get involved and drive the number up.
Fox didn't want to bid on us. ABC won't be bidding on us. NBC is about to make ND rich, and lots of smoke about packaging some B12 games around them. CBS maybe? If the number is true, sure it might be driven up, but we need to be north of $30M to make this even a thought to staying here. I just don't see anyone coming in to save the day, and I don't have a lot of faith in PAC or University leadership to get creative to get us there.

Last edited:
Amazon, Apple, YouTube.

There are lots of options for platforms to sell your rights too. Split them up, the P12 and B12 should’ve absolutely be pushing for something other than traditional TV. ESPN and Fox have no interest in propping these conferences up that they just sought to destroy for financial gain. I don’t know how interesting either of these conferences are for football to any of these companies but I gotta imagine they want as much live content as possible. They’re all bidding on the NFL currently which is admittedly an entirely different beast.

Amazon, Apple, YouTube.

There are lots of options for platforms to sell your rights too. Split them up, the P12 and B12 should’ve absolutely be pushing for something other than traditional TV. ESPN and Fox have no interest in propping these conferences up that they just sought to destroy for financial gain. I don’t know how interesting either of these conferences are for football to any of these companies but I gotta imagine they want as much live content as possible. They’re all bidding on the NFL currently which is admittedly an entirely different beast.
I think CBS is going to make a big play for B12 rights. They might have a good mix of media partners. I'd think we could get Apple involved with us to get something done along with the ESPN offer. Big question is what we do with the anchor around our necks called the PACN - selling it off and farming all rights into a media deal might be best to get north of $30M

Fox didn't want to bid on us. ABC won't be bidding on us. NBC is about to make ND rich, and lots of smoke about packaging some B12 games around them. CBS maybe? If the number is true, sure it might be driven up, but we need to be north of $30M to make this even a thought to staying here. I just don't see anyone coming in to save the day, and I don't have a lot of faith in PAC or University leadership to get creative to get us there.
ABC is ESPN, so yes, they are bidding on us. CBS is definitely a player, it just depends on if they want tier 3 B1G rights or get in the mix for Tier 1 Pac rights.

There is also the streaming. Amazon, Apple TV, etc. The University of Colorado leadership has no real involvement in coming up with the proper solutions and negotiating with the media companies. It's George Kliavkoff, his staff and the consulting company he hired that is turning over every stone to see if they can make it work. There is nobody more qualified to lead a ratings challenged conference like the Pac10 in media negotiations. Below is a brief resume, pretty much all of which is in high ranking positions among media companies, working for the media departments of large scale operations, launching new media companies, etc.

Kliavkoff launched his professional career as a lawyer before pivoting to a long line of positions in sports and entertainment. After four years at RealNetworks, he joined Major League Baseball in 2003 as an executive vice president for business with MLB Advanced Media. After three years in MLB, he became the chief digital officer for NBCUniversal where he helped launch Hulu. He moved to Hearst Communications in 2009 where he would spend seven years. In 2016, he was named CEO of Jaunt XR, a virtual reality content studio.

In 2018, Kliavkoff settled in Las Vegas and was named president of entertainment and sports at MGM Resorts International. He served on a number of Las Vegas-based boards including the WNBA, T-Mobile Arena, Cirque du Soleil and BetMGM

Of course, this doesn't mean the money is there for the Pac or that he is going to make it all work, but it won't be due to GK not having the savvy to figure it out.

ABC == ESPN

I think CBS is going to make a big play for B12 rights. They might have a good mix of media partners. I'd think we could get Apple involved with us to get something done along with the ESPN offer. Big question is what we do with the anchor around our necks called the PACN - selling it off and farming all rights into a media deal might be best to get north of $30M

CBS is interesting. I’m not sure what they can and will do with the network. Do you sell the rights and all the content to an Apple or ESPN? Do you keep it and air just your Olympic sports on it, pull your head out of your ****ing ass and put it on every service possible regardless of what you think it’s worth? I don’t know.

But I do know 30 million dollars a year with no big time NIL donors, a lack of interest and bad football = even worse football. This university is not going to be able to compete or sign even the marginally good players soon.

i for one am happy to rejoin the remnant 12 if that delivers the most bang for our buck. we can really get our hate back on if that is our path. lean into the darkness. the conference lineup is like a list of instant one-liner insults. every week will be a monkey poo flinging contest. we can sit on our high furry cows in Boulder and slander each and every opponent we face in new and traditional scurrilous ways.

i saw some thread on twitter amongst the big 12 critters talking about how "nice and polite" byu has been and how that is a ray of sunshine. we are like the anti-mormons. ****, two of our alums have a hit broadway play about it.

a midnight sun is on the horizon and casting its evil light on the b12. we are almost back.

why the **** not? someone has to be a villain in any good allegorical tale played out via sports. it might as well be us.
For a villain to be believable, there has to be a danger he might win. There’s no such danger with us.

Us: "The B12 is using too much Nitrogen Fertilizer !! Oh Noeeeessssss !! Not to mention the bovine flatulence....."
Them: "We just kicked your ass 34-10......"

ABC is ESPN, so yes, they are bidding on us. CBS is definitely a player, it just depends on if they want tier 3 B1G rights or get in the mix for Tier 1 Pac rights.

There is also the streaming. Amazon, Apple TV, etc. The University of Colorado leadership has no real involvement in coming up with the proper solutions and negotiating with the media companies. It's George Kliavkoff, his staff and the consulting company he hired that is turning over every stone to see if they can make it work. There is nobody more qualified to lead a ratings challenged conference like the Pac10 in media negotiations. Below is a brief resume, pretty much all of which is in high ranking positions among media companies, working for the media departments of large scale operations, launching new media companies, etc.

Of course, this doesn't mean the money is there for the Pac or that he is going to make it all work, but it won't be due to GK not having the savvy to figure it out.
No sh1t. ABC has effectively already bid on us, and won't come in higher than the espn offer. Also, university presidents absolutely are involved in media rights negotiations.

Problem is, CBS is going to have to wait another year for the Big 12, so are they willing to go a full season with zero CFB content once the SEC drops them

ABC has effectively already bid on us, and won't come in higher than the espn offer. Also, university presidents absolutely are involved in media rights negotiations.
Dude. ABC and ESPN are the same. And University Presidents are kept apprised of the situation and are the ultimate decision makers, but this is exactly why they brought in GK and exactly why he hired Sports Media Advisors to guide the negotiations.

🤣

So USC and UCLA are going to agree that each of their home games will begin at 7:30 p.m. local time? Also, which B10 school is in the mountain time zone?

The far western portion of Nebraska is in the Mtn Time Zone, but the school obviously is not. Learned this the hard way as I was an hour late for an appointment once in North Platte assuming it too was in the MTZ when the actual dividing line is to the west. Ogallala, Sidney, Scottsbluff and other garden spots are in the MTZ.

Heh. The B1G ain’t in four time zones. It’s always amazing to me how easily the Mountain Time zone is completely overlooked.

Heh. The B1G ain’t in four time zones. It’s always amazing to me how easily the Mountain Time zone is completely overlooked.

The Nub patrons at Ole's Big Game Bar in Paxton, NE disagree. Even the 3 year olds are wearing red. It's a nightmare.

Like UCLA and Cal?
As I understand it, the UC Regents were largely in the dark on UCLA’s move and it was done at the campus level which is part of what prompted Gavin Newsome to ask for an inquiry.

Link
(Newsome) has expressed concern about what he views as a lack of transparency by UCLA, which informed UC President Michael V. Drake about its conversations with Big Ten officials but did not consult with regents. Only a handful of UC regents were notified just before the decision was announced.

Back