What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Unequal revenue sharing can be discussed, but no team in the PAC 12 (-2) has enough leverage to make those demands actually work. If they are being made (and that‘s a big if), I imagine it would be to create a wedge issue to dissolve the conference, assuming that somehow makes it easier for the B1G to grab teams at a reduced share guilt-free.

Unequal revenue sharing can be discussed, but no team in the PAC 12 (-2) has enough leverage to make those demands actually work. If they are being made (and that‘s a big if), I imagine it would be to create a wedge issue to dissolve the conference, assuming that somehow makes it easier for the B1G to grab teams at a reduced share guilt-free.
Exactly. What are Oregon and Washington going to do when everyone says no?

I would be a big advocate of CU going to the B1G and saying they would take a substantially reduced payout throughout this entire media deal.

Alot of expansion talk with McMurphy in this interview. He talks about how FSU could potentially get out of the ACC for around a $70-75 exit fee minus the media rights part, the idea of UW and UO going to the B1G at some point, the 4C schools as Big 12 candidates and how the B1G would love to get FSU and Miami.

Listening to the podcast of champions today and David woods (ucla 247 reporter) says the same guy who told him usc and ucla were going to the big 10 told him cu and Utah are gone. He didn’t say to where although I would assume the big 12.

Listening to the podcast of champions today and David woods (ucla 247 reporter) says the same guy who told him usc and ucla were going to the big 10 told him cu and Utah are gone. He didn’t say to where although I would assume the big 12.

Big 10 obviously!

He probably was "told" by the guy he watches on his local 5PM news.

I am sure we have covered this, but what if Prime has specifically said to send us to the BIG12 because it connects him to everywhere he wants to go recruit, and just like the PAC, he knows we could dominate there?

I am sure we have covered this, but what if Prime has specifically said to send us to the BIG12 because it connects him to everywhere he wants to go recruit, and just like the PAC, he knows we could dominate there?
If a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its ass hopping.*

*please note that I was going to use a different version of this idiom until I realized it could be read as erasing of trans people. I'm proud of my personal growth.

I get it. We are talking about sports. But while I get it, it does bother me that just about everyone seems dismissive of academic reputation to the point of ridiculing college presidents for caring more about that than they do about maximizing sports entertainment dollars for their university. I don't believe it's an either/or proposition and do believe these things can be complementary. I guess I don't understand being into college athletics and not caring about the main mission of colleges. Or maybe I do understand and it's why college sports get so much support in cities and states which don't have pro teams - these are their pro teams and have little to do with education in the minds of their supporters.

I get it. We are talking about sports. But while I get it, it does bother me that just about everyone seems dismissive of academic reputation to the point of ridiculing college presidents for caring more about that than they do about maximizing sports entertainment dollars for their university. I don't believe it's an either/or proposition and do believe these things can be complementary. I guess I don't understand being into college athletics and not caring about the main mission of colleges. Or maybe I do understand and it's why college sports get so much support in cities and states which don't have pro teams - these are their pro teams and have little to do with education in the minds of their supporters.
College should be the celebration of applied intelligence and excellence in a particular field

We want the best doctors that need to study medicine
We want the best lawyers that need to study law

Football, Lacrosse, E-Sports, Social Media Influence, Robotics, whatever is the mastery of a job or career

Amazed we do not just go and set the trend on Nutrition, Fitness, Exercise, Public Speaking, Finance, Charitable Work, Politics, etc. to help someone get a degree in Sports Management, oh yeah we have that, why is this not the overall Degree Program that every Football player just goes through?

College should be the celebration of applied intelligence and excellence in a particular field

We want the best doctors that need to study medicine
We want the best lawyers that need to study law

Football, Lacrosse, E-Sports, Social Media Influence, Robotics, whatever is the mastery of a job or career

Amazed we do not just go and set the trend on Nutrition, Fitness, Exercise, Public Speaking, Finance, Charitable Work, Politics, etc. to help someone get a degree in Sports Management, oh yeah we have that, why is this not the overall Degree Program that every Football player just goes through?

Not every athlete wants a career in athletics. Also, there aren't enough jobs in the field if everyone who played college sports tried to work in the field the next 40 years of their lives.

I’ve yet to hear a compelling argument about why a University can’t maintain its academic prestige and mission while being in the same athletic conference as Universities with “lesser” academic reputations. Texas did it for a very long time with no real problem and the money and athletic prestige is what drove them to the SEC, not academics.

I’ve yet to hear a compelling argument about why a University can’t maintain its academic prestige and mission while being in the same athletic conference as Universities with “lesser” academic reputations. Texas did it for a very long time with no real problem and the money and athletic prestige is what drove them to the SEC, not academics.
I don't know.

Hypothetically, let's say Harvard decided it wanted to become a CFB power again. They jump to FBS but want to establish themselves before trying to compete in a conference like the B1G. So they accept the AAC invite.

Do we think leaving behind its Ivy League ties and affiliating with the members of that new league would have a negative impact on its academic mission?

I don't know.

Hypothetically, let's say Harvard decided it wanted to become a CFB power again. They jump to FBS but want to establish themselves before trying to compete in a conference like the B1G. So they accept the AAC invite.

Do we think leaving behind its Ivy League ties and affiliating with the members of that new league would have a negative impact on its academic mission?
I'm not sure whether or not I'm agreeing with your perspective.

I am impressed with this example.

You have me thinking about this point in a way I hadn't previously.

I don't know.

Would all of their former students still start every sentence with, “when I was at Harvard”?

I don't know.

Do they still have some of the most rigorous admission requirements, best professors, etc that currently make them one of the most prestigious Universities in the world in that hypothetical, or do they drop all that to be on par with the admissions of the other AAC programs? Because if it’s the former, you are basically saying that Harvard’s prestige most comes from being associated with Princeton, Yale, etc.

It’s a walk and chew situation. You can have great academics AND care about athletic excellence in football.

Edit: I also think you’re picking the most extreme example to try and make a point. Why not address the example of Texas that I used? Does associating with ASU make UCLA any less of a prestigious school? CU’s academic reputation has plummeted since joining the Pac

I'm not sure whether or not I'm agreeing with your perspective.

I am impressed with this example.

You have me thinking about this point in a way I hadn't previously.
I don't know what I think yet. So to work through it I started with what I'd consider the ultimate example of a case where it could be true. If it's not true there, it's not true anywhere. If it would compromise research partnerships, reputation, donation or academic performance negatively, then that means it does compromise university mission and other cases would be a matter of degree. Also, that the impact could be real, but be surmounted by the positive impacts on academics due to exposure, positive branding, attracting more diversity, increased revenues & booster support, etc.

I think it's an interesting exercise. Particularly because I believe this is what is driving the decisions of the university presidents, who are the CEOs in these business deals.

I’m not sure the correlation between academics and conference affiliation is really that strong. It seems to me that since we left the Pac-12, our academic reputation has gone down.

Not every athlete wants a career in athletics. Also, there aren't enough jobs in the field if everyone who played college sports tried to work in the field the next 40 years of their lives.
I can relate, I went to my particular undergrad because I got nearly a full ride to play baseball. I had a chance to play independent ball after school, but I had already traded my right arm for a heavily subsidized education. I chose to move on, that lack of drive might be why I wasn't great, but it was the deal I made in my head when I accepted the scholarship.

Back