What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I'd like to see us go back to 10 team conferences as well. It would have been better if the NCAA managed the rights and did it on behalf of all conferences. That lack of centralization has created this steaming pile of ****.
Klatt had Ryan Day on his podcast today and they discussed this. Day said he believes the best thing for the sport at this point would be looking at the NFL model and emulating that from a central governing body, uniform scheduling, etc

i'd take the old big 8 back in a minute if that were possible.

first we let the ****ing texans into the big 8 and they ****ed us all over. then, we and nu and mizzery figure we don't want to be junior ****ing partners to texas and seek alternate arrangements. then, the ****ing pac ****s the bed over and over. then usc does us dirty and here we are.

THIS big 12 is not the same as the old big 8/12. it isn't even close.

maybe northwestern will get the death penalty. for some reason, that would somehow make me feel a bit better.
Oh come on, you don't remember BYU, Cincinnatti, **** Baylor and West Virginia in the Big 8? I remember those glory days of UCF claiming that our national championship wasn't legit because we didn't invent space travel. Those were the good old days...

Klatt had Ryan Day on his podcast today and they discussed this. Day said he believes the best thing for the sport at this point would be looking at the NFL model and emulating that from a central governing body, uniform scheduling, etc
So make CFB just like the NFL? Why? We already have the No Fun League to ignore (at least I do). If CFB simply homogenizes with the NFL what's the point? Why not just have a few expansion teams in the NFL and play some games on Saturday.

So make CFB just like the NFL? Why? We already have the No Fun League to ignore (at least I do). If CFB simply homogenizes with the NFL what's the point? Why not just have a few expansion teams in the NFL and play some games on Saturday.

I agree that thats a risk if you dont keep some things that make college football uniquely college football. I didnt listen in but sounds like Klatt and Day were not talking about a draft or a CBA (the NIL collectives are illegal anyways) just a central body to regulate conferences, arrange TV deals, and do the scheduling.

Sometimes I wonder if a REGIONALLY aligned promotion relegation model would be cool. Say the Pac12 (top), MWC (sub), and the Big Sky(bottom). Worst teams go down next season. Best teams promote up next season. Maybe six or eight regions (sooo many more schools in the east). You want more money, get promoted to top level.

If something isnt done we will have one mega conference, one right near it, and a bunch of left outs grumbling about letting this bull**** happen.

Last edited:
The college football we see today is nearly unrecognizable when compared to the college football of 20 years ago. The NCAA has no authority, and there’s no unified voice at all. That genie isn’t going back in the bottle. It’s not going to get better.

I agree that thats a risk if you dont keep some things that make college football uniquely college football. I didnt listen in but sounds like Klatt and Day were not talking about a draft or a CBA (the NIL collectives are illegal anyways) just a central body to regulate conferences, arrange TV deals, and do the scheduling.

If something isnt done we will have one mega conference, one right near it, and a bunch of left outs grumbling about letting this bull**** happen.
So something like; the NCAA?

The college football we see today is nearly unrecognizable when compared to the college football of 20 years ago. The NCAA has no authority, and there’s no unified voice at all. That genie isn’t going back in the bottle. It’s not going to get better.

Im not in complete agreement. The NCAA is made up of hundreds of Presidents organizations. They do meet and vote. Eventually enough of them will be in the 'left out' majority and they'll vote to do something about it. Sooner or later someone has to grow some balls.

Sure, those last 20 teams that make up the super conference can leave and start their own org. But that will make scheduling problems for them.

Exactly.

Heck, on conference alignment I would bet that if we put it to a fan vote we'd overwhelmingly choose the 2001 conference alignment over today. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2001-standings.html

Our only hope is for it to get back to something like that through an NFL type structure with a unifying authority, regional divisions, and an equitable playoff. Right now, it's the last phase of what's been 30 years of reshuffling which has mostly made the sport worse.

Maybe it’s just me but when I hear people like Day say “NFL model” it’s just jibberish. What an “NFL model” really implies is a super league. But I don’t think anyone has the stones to say we don’t need 2 teams in Mississippi, 3 teams in Indiana and North Carolina. Any governing body would happen after this league is created by networks. He left that part out bc no one can come out and say the hard part that would need to happen.

But what incentive does the sec and big have to go along with that? They like having all the cards and all the control. I don't see them freely giving that up. Hell, the sec doesn't even want to move to 9 conference games.

Maybe it’s just me but when I hear people like Day say “NFL model” it’s just jibberish. What an “NFL model” really implies is a super league. But I don’t think anyone has the stones to say we don’t need 2 teams in Mississippi, 3 teams in Indiana and North Carolina. Any governing body would happen after this league is created by networks. He left that part out bc no one can come out and say the hard part that would need to happen.
That's not what I hear when I hear NFL model.

I hear competitive balance. I hear a league that prevents the strong from boxing out the weak from ever getting better.
I hear a league that has to deal with draft rights and salary caps, and has to build a team by astute talent evaluation/development.

I've always been a CFB guy first, but I was on my way out before Coach Prime.
Coach Prime is has no peers in how he's able to recruit and so we've suddenly got hope.
But any other head coach, in at least 20 years, CFB does not really allow the poor to get richer.

I think you're stuck on the idea of CFB and what it was 20 years ago, rather than what it is today. The sport we have today is broken

It's getting harder and harder to defend it all, but whatever, there is no choice and until numbers are presented, CU is doing the right thing by not jumping.
They have to announce the deal before media day. I’d have a hard time seeing the upside if they can’t get it done by then. Also, I’d say it’s fair to fire Kliavkoff if no deal is announced by then.

That's not what I hear when I hear NFL model.

I hear competitive balance. I hear a league that prevents the strong from boxing out the weak from ever getting better.
I hear a league that has to deal with draft rights and salary caps, and has to build a team by astute talent evaluation/development.

I've always been a CFB guy first, but I was on my way out before Coach Prime.
Coach Prime is has no peers in how he's able to recruit and so we've suddenly got hope.
But any other head coach, in at least 20 years, CFB does not really allow the poor to get richer.
Yes it’s different rules plus a breakaway conference model that’s starts with the B1G and SEC adding a few more teams then doing their own thing. Definitely not about keeping the existing conference model alive.

But what incentive does the sec and big have to go along with that? They like having all the cards and all the control. I don't see them freely giving that up. Hell, the sec doesn't even want to move to 9 conference games.
The networks are calling the shots. They see how successful the NFL model is and will want to replicate that as much as possible. Look what they did with the B1G; it's the exact NFL model.

FOX gets Noon ET
CBS gets 330 ET
NBC gets 830 ET (Saturday Night Football)

Further expansion is coming to both leagues. They are both going to at least 20, and probably 24. The per school revenue probably won't be as high in 2035 or 2040 as it is today because of it, but College Football "works" as a multi-billion dollar sport because of the inclusiveness. If Colorado was no longer technically able to compete for the same championship that Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, OU, Georgia, Michigan, USC, etc I would completely cease to care about that sport.

The NFL can’t play on Saturday because the 1961 sports broadcasting act wanted to protect colleges from the monopoly power of the NFL. SEC/B1G push this too far and what’s to keep legislators in left behind states from letting the NFL compete with CFB?

I think you're stuck on the idea of CFB and what it was 20 years ago, rather than what it is today. The sport we have today is broken
Not really. I see what is happening. I have said in other places I think it will hold my interest for about 3-7 years and then I will find other interests. As others have observed, the money, the rich getting richer, etc. will force some attempt to make it viable to keep the golden goose laying eggs. Viability will look a lot like the NFL, and when that day comes, I am no longer interested. CFB is headed there at a pretty rapid clip.

It was the quirks of CFB, a modicum of uncertainty as to the Natl. Champ, imbalance between teams, the vagaries of recruiting, traditional, regional match ups, a frankly bizarre bowl system, that made CFB way more fun than the homogenized, over marketed and monetized within an inch of its life NFL.

That being said, would I prefer to rewind the tape and have CFB played the way it was back in the day? Sure, but nobody believes that genie is going back in the bottle.

If Colorado was no longer technically able to compete for the same championship that Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, OU, Georgia, Michigan, USC, etc I would completely cease to care about that sport.

ouch. I got some bad news for you, man.

Got to agree with Hokie...I would not be surprised if CU already has been left behind. Let's assume that the P2 break away and form Division S for football or something like that. I don't think CU makes the cut at this point but CU should be able to be one of those top teams in D1 if the school gets behind the football team.

The B12 appears to know that a fate like that is going to happen and is investing more in basketball. I'm not certain if the P12 is thinking the same way because all the news is about the media rights deal and nothing else. The P12 isn't much different from the B12 sans USC & UCLA.

Like I have said in the past, good football is not exclusive to FBS football.

it was your use of "technically" that ruled out the CFP mythical championship
Why?

Got to agree with Hokie...I would not be surprised if CU already has been left behind. Let's assume that the P2 break away and form Division S for football or something like that. I don't think CU makes the cut at this point but CU should be able to be one of those top teams in D1 if the school gets behind the football team.

The B12 appears to know that a fate like that is going to happen and is investing more in basketball. I'm not certain if the P12 is thinking the same way because all the news is about the media rights deal and nothing else. The P12 isn't much different from the B12 sans USC & UCLA.

Until the CFP is officially closed to the non-P2, CU is still "technically" competing for it, which was my whole point

to be clear, my statement isn't that we're left behind, my statement is reflective of there being NO sanctioned championship that both CU and those other teams play for. for each school Yak listed, their respective conference championship is the highest recognized "technical" championship any FBS school competes for.

the CFP, LLC is not technically a real championship, although it is unquestionably important to revenue, recruiting and to fans.

I believe Sanders is recruiting at a level where competitively, CU will be able to hang with any school in the nation. including those that play in different conferences.

to be clear, my statement isn't that we're left behind, my statement is reflective of there being NO sanctioned championship that both CU and those other teams play for. for each school Yak listed, their respective conference championship is the highest recognized "technical" championship any FBS school competes for.

I believe Sanders is recruiting at a level where competitively, CU will be able to hang with any school in the nation. including those that play in different conferences.
I've been hokie'd I know, but the CFP National Championship is a real thing and that's what I am referring to

This is exactly what I was saying yesterday. The battle isn’t about money or exposure, it’s about being left behind willingly (joining B12), unwillingly (staying w/ P12 + potentially getting shafted later on) or possibly joining the party by battling it out w/ Prime and winning big against teams that will have an invite to the party (UW, Oregon).

Red pill or blue pill.

This is capitalist America. I am sure you can work the rest out yourself.

And there's the rub. But is there enough of us to matter
There are now 69(?) P5 programs. If the P2 hold at 32 total, that means alienating half the P5 college football landscape, and would probably also kill off the G5. Most of those 32 markets are actually small markets in the Midwest and the South, w/r/t population, and the large markets that are captured (LA and NY) are mostly apathetic toward CFB.

The NFL is the most popular league by a wide margin because it incorporates almost the entire country.

Back