What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Could you whine a little more? Then don’t watch the games. you self righteous piece of crap!
mickey mouse troll GIF

I'm honestly wondering if we're all looking the wrong way on the additional team.

What if the smoke in Tallahassee is real?

Now assume they're the next in, and it's only two spots between UO, UW @ UA?
Someone on 247 said the ACC media deal is currently paying each school $36m/year. I can't seem to find that, in fact, google says that's not accurate, but if so, FSU isn't leaving that for less money

FSU could be a travel partner with UCF, they could even give them shoes. But that might be a bridge too far. I am not sure the B12 wants a 2 front war with the P12-3 and the ACC.
I’m not seeing this reported anywhere. FSU wants into the B12? Doesn’t seem legit.

I’m not seeing this reported anywhere. FSU wants into the B12? Doesn’t seem legit.
I think it is just some speculation. FSU is making waves about leaving the ACC, but honestly, I think they are shooting for the SEC if they leave. But it would be pretty awesome to have them join the B12.

FSU could be a travel partner with UCF, they could even give them shoes. But that might be a bridge too far. I am not sure the B12 wants a 2 front war with the P12-3 and the ACC.
The biggest lesson in conference realignment so far is "play offense, not defense," and that seems to be true for both schools and confrences.

It gives a destination pairing (that term makes so much more sense than "travel partner") for UCF, it brings clear and obvious media value, and creates a real scarcity problem in terms of available landing spots for the remaining pac schools.

Bring UO and UW as the last destination pair to get to 16, you really do have an argument that it's P3 not P2*.

*I'm not saying it's a winning argument, but it's one you can very nearly make with a straight face.

I think it is just some speculation. FSU is making waves about leaving the ACC, but honestly, I think they are shooting for the SEC if they leave. But it would be pretty awesome to have them join the B12.
SEC poaching the ACC to go to 18 or 20... and still playing an 8-game schedule... would be the most on-brand thing ever.

FSU isn't going B12, but them leaving could send the ACC panicking and now Pitt/Louisville/VT might be on the outs looking in.

The Big 12 is stopping at 14/16 is to leave room for going to 20 out east.

Got to be UO & UW if we're thinking about positioning to be part of an eventual "Power 3" landscape with a conference that could be within economic spitting distance and couldn't be left out.
This. Big 12 needs to pull all the stops on getting those two

Also, if the ACC were to become unstable then one of the top targets has to be Pitt. Great rivalry with WVU (ratings marquee game), great recruiting grounds, huge population state, football prestige of Natty & National Awards + recent ACC Championship Games, AAU academics.

Except for the $. And that's what this is all about.
I could see a world where there is a P3 in 7-10 years with the ACC breaking apart with some of those teams moving to the SEC, BIG, and BIG 12. Twenty or so teams in 3 conferences makes sense. That is provided the Big 12 gets Oregon and Washington

Also, if the ACC were to become unstable then one of the top targets has to be Pitt. Great rivalry with WVU (ratings marquee game), great recruiting grounds, huge population state, football prestige of Natty & National Awards + recent ACC Championship Games, AAU academics.
Pitt would be a fantastic add.
They could also develop a rival with Cincinnati.

This. Big 12 needs to pull all the stops on getting those two
Very telling ESPN and Fox had no problem paying pro rata for CU. I’m sure it would apply for Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Utah, Arizona and ASU in that order. Unlikely Stanford would ever budge. But if I’m those networks I approve 5 out of 6 of these schools on a first come first serve basis and tell them to go to 18. Basically a low cost conference merger of the best brands and have a western pod.

Idk what kind of value Cal holds. Can’t be good in a conference that has no interest in academics.

Will any of this happen? Maybe 1% chance but you never know.

Very telling ESPN and Fox had no problem paying pro rata for CU. I’m sure it would apply for Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Utah, Arizona and ASU in that order. Unlikely Stanford would ever budge. But if I’m those networks I approve 5 out of 6 of these schools on a first come first serve basis and tell them to go to 18. Basically a low cost conference merger of the best brands and have a western pod.

Idk what kind of value Cal holds. Can’t be good in a conference that has no interest in academics.

Will any of this happen? Maybe 1% chance but you never know.
The networks won't let them go to 18

I could see a world where there is a P3 in 7-10 years with the ACC breaking apart with some of those teams moving to the SEC, BIG, and BIG 12. Twenty or so teams in 3 conferences makes sense. That is provided the Big 12 gets Oregon and Washington
Big 12 doesn't need UW/UO. ASU and UU will suffice.

Always thought it might work like this.
1). Big XII grabs CU
2). AU follows
3). UO/UW get discounted to Big 10
4). ASU + 1 to Big XII
5). Big 10 going to 18 destabilized ACC as SEC looks to follow to 18-20
6.) Rest of PAC goes to MWC
7). Race to 20

Agreed. But not now.

Let's say the B1G and SEC both went to 20.

Just to put something out there, let's say.

B1G went with Notre Dame, Stanford, Virginia and North Carolina

SEC went with FSU, Miami, Georgia Tech and Clemson

Big 12 is at 16 after adding CU, UA, UO and UW.

I think my four Big 12 adds would be NCST, VT, Pitt and then #4 is a tough call. You've got Pac options like Cal, Utah and ASU along with Louisville, Syracuse and Duke plus some G5s that could go on a run and make investments that changes their narrative over the coming seasons.

I hope someone better than UConn shows up. But hey one thing I believe to be true— Coach Prime and this staff and the way the roster is getting built— we can own this conference sooner rather than later and then see what happens.
Then we get relegated to the Big 10.

That is the plan.

The networks won't let them go to 18
I don't think it's that they won't let them, it's that approving 18 would require additional negotiation and you'd have to bring the right brands in to make it work. That's why UW/UO are mentioned, as ASU, UU, UA, etc., aren't going to generate enough revenue to justify 18.

Curious what people's thoughts are on the basketball only conferences, mainly Big East. In the above scenario, would Duke drop football and go Big East. I would hate for the Big 12 to gobble up UCONN. What UCONN did for the Big East this year was awesome. Big East basketball finally might be back and it crushes me that football driven realignment might destroy it again.

Curious what people's thoughts are on the basketball only conferences, mainly Big East. In the above scenario, would Duke drop football and go Big East. I would hate for the Big 12 to gobble up UCONN. What UCONN did for the Big East this year was awesome. Big East basketball finally might be back and it crushes me that football driven realignment might destroy it again.
No school in the P5/4 will drop football because the TV money far outweighs anything else. Even if the ACC were to exist as the 4th conference, the worst case scenario would be some sort of partnership with the Pac-11 leftovers and those schools would be the next best thing to the P3 conferences (SEC, B10, B13). The money is still there for viability and helps them pay for their other sports.

Basketball is a complete non-factor in all of this. They don't make anything CLOSE to what football makes. I am also dissapointed that the Big East changed. It was the best basketball BY FAR and the fact that realignment killed that conference is further proof that Basketball doesnt hold a candle to football.

Football drives EVERYTHING.

Big 12 doesn't need UW/UO. ASU and UU will suffice.

Always thought it might work like this.
1). Big XII grabs CU
2). AU follows
3). UO/UW get discounted to Big 10
4). ASU + 1 to Big XII
5). Big 10 going to 18 destabilized ACC as SEC looks to follow to 18-20
6.) Rest of PAC goes to MWC
7). Race to 20
Reports are 14.

It’s AZ if they want. Then……………..UCONN
I personally think UA is all talk and doesn’t have the balls to move without ASU (who doesn’t want to move so neither will be the next to move).

The biggest flight risks are Oregon and Washington imo.

Back