What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I honestly don’t understand why wouldn’t want:

FSU
Clemson
UVA
Louiseville
Nebraska*
Miami**

*They belong here, they’re a natural rival, and the conference needs a doormat to balance out the new additions.

**Conferences are better when you have a program that has been historically dominant, and you hate them.

Colorado and Prime bring serious ratings to the Big 12, but FSU and Clemson aren't (rumored) to be interested because of Colorado.
My point is that there is a rumor about the idea of a "Best of the Rest Conference" as a precursor to a Super League
If FSU and Clemson come to the Big12, as well as North Carolina and Louisville and even Miami, then there is a potential way to assemble a 12-16 team "other" group that would ultimately equal, rival, or beat the B1G or SEC without the garbage at the bottom

Imagine

Colorado
Kansas
Utah
Arizona
Houston
West Virginia
Oklahoma State
BYU
Clemson (South Carolina)
FSU (North Florida)
Miami (South Florida)
Louisville (Kentucky)
North Carolina
Duke
Pitt
Notre Dame

Would be worthy of an equal sized TV deal as the other two without a doubt

FSU and Clemson are just parking themselves for the final order

Just a random thought but suppose we go with 20 football schools and one basketball school (could be Gonzaga or Wichita State for instance), there would be no round robins in MBB and you could simply flip the "12" to "21" in the Big 12.

We Are So Dumb Season 3 GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

Just a random thought but suppose we go with 20 football schools and one basketball school (could be Gonzaga or Wichita State for instance), there would be no round robins in MBB and you could simply flip the "12" to "21" in the Big 12.
Basketball is a happy by-product and largely irrelevant. No major conference moves are happening because of basketball. (Big East twiddles it's thumbs wondering what will happen to college basketball)

Basketball is a happy by-product and largely irrelevant. No major conference moves are happening because of basketball. (Big East twiddles it's thumbs wondering what will happen to college basketball)

Agree with what you are saying and I was looking at the value of having just one game against someone in basketball like football. Grow big enough and maybe the Big 12 can sell the football and basketball packages separately when the time comes.

Moron LOL
Should I have used Correlation instead of Causation
So they can twist my words a bit and make for a chuckle for all you chucklefukks
Colorado was the third most watched team in CFB in 2023
Colorado has created its own media ecosphere and thus its own growing value and brand again
My point was that without that form of opportunity and success, not shown by any other Big12 School, then the ACC teams would not necessarily even see how a move the Big12 would make any sense, unless Yormark and in turn the Prime Effect gives them hope for a path to more profitability and competitiveness and to become the Leaders of a creative and open minded conference or situation.
Oh well, laugh is on me

Should I have used Correlation instead of Causation
So they can twist my words a bit and make for a chuckle for all you chucklefukks
Colorado was the third most watched team in CFB in 2023
Colorado has created its own media ecosphere and thus its own growing value and brand again
My point was that without that form of opportunity and success, not shown by any other Big12 School, then the ACC teams would not necessarily even see how a move the Big12 would make any sense, unless Yormark and in turn the Prime Effect gives them hope for a path to more profitability and competitiveness and to become the Leaders of a creative and open minded conference or situation.
Oh well, laugh is on me

quote-there-s-no-such-thing-as-bad-publicity-p-t-barnum-76-11-96.jpg

Jason Scheer is annoying, but he stuck to his guns that Colorado was interested in the B12 and having talks a lot earlier than most reported. A lot of us thought it unlikely but his claims ended up being vindicated.
Was the timing a matter of dispute? I’m pleasantly surprised that we were quickly looking to get off of the sinking P12 boat…

Many of those fringe media types have been saying for months that FSU isn’t desirable for the P2.

I think FSU is likely going to force its way out of the ACC and join the Big 12, but I would bet it’s conditional on not signing a long term GOR and maintaining flexibility for 5-6 years down the road.

Then again, if the Big 12 adds the top 6 from the ACC and the ESPN money shifts from ACC to Big 12, it becomes a legitimate P3

Many of those fringe media types have been saying for months that FSU isn’t desirable for the P2.

I think FSU is likely going to force its way out of the ACC and join the Big 12, but I would bet it’s conditional on not signing a long term GOR and maintaining flexibility for 5-6 years down the road.

Then again, if the Big 12 adds the top 6 from the ACC and the ESPN money shifts from ACC to Big 12, it becomes a legitimate P3
How is the Big 12 so much better than the ACC that it is worth $100s of millions to make the change?

How is the Big 12 so much better than the ACC that it is worth $100s of millions to make the change?
Because the ACC is locked into another 13 years of a mediocre media deal. The Big 12 has roughly the same deal but with two different media companies and has a short term deal with far more flexibility.

It’s similar to the Pac vs Big 12 battle. It wasn’t that the B12 was better (it wasn’t), but Yormark was smarter than Scott and Kliavkov in getting the media deal done before the Pac 12 and then poaching members and destabilizing it.

FSU wants out of the ACC badly, and Clemson is likely likeminded. Those are tentpole programs for the ACC so once they’ve decided they want out, the entire conference is now destabilized

Because the ACC is locked into another 13 years of a mediocre media deal. The Big 12 has roughly the same deal but with two different media companies and has a short term deal with far more flexibility.

It’s similar to the Pac vs Big 12 battle. It wasn’t that the B12 was better (it wasn’t), but Yormark was smarter than Scott and Kliavkov in getting the media deal done before the Pac 12 and then poaching members and destabilizing it.

FSU wants out of the ACC badly, and Clemson is likely likeminded. Those are tentpole programs for the ACC so once they’ve decided they want out, the entire conference is now destabilized
Just to play devils advocate, I think sources from the B1G and SEC are just playing legalese. The article said they aren't interested in FSU "if the ACC survives."

So $100s of millions for a few years of likely more revenue (unknown how much).

So $100s of millions for a few years of likely more revenue (unknown how much).
I have no idea what kind of deal FSU is talking with the Big 12 or PE companies about, but they obviously believe there is a serious issue with their current situation for one reason or another

ESPN does have an opt out that they have until February to exercise. That would end the media rights deal in 2027 instead of 2036 which means after this season, two more seasons on the media rights deal. That's why FSU & Clemson to the B12 is hot.
ESPN pays $30m/year/school to 14 schools and then $8m/year for Stanford and Cal. SMU is not getting any media share for a couple years, iirc.

That’s $436m/year total that they could opt out of and direct toward the new Big 12 that includes FSU, Clemson and 2-4 others.

That would bring the Big 12 to around 20-22 programs and even if they directed half of that ACC money to the Big 12, evenly, that would be an extra $10m pspy over what the ACC and Big 12 are currently making. Obviously, ESPN shifting the full amount to the Big 12 would get all schools upward of $50m pspy and that doesn’t include what Fox would likely add to get access to the new content with FSU and Clemson.

It’s possible they are all looking at this as a way for each Big 12 program to secure a $50-$60m+ media payout which would put them in the same ball park as the other two.

ESPN pays $30m/year/school to 14 schools and then $8m/year for Stanford and Cal. SMU is not getting any media share for a couple years, iirc.

That’s $436m/year total that they could opt out of and direct toward the new Big 12 that includes FSU, Clemson and 2-4 others.

That would bring the Big 12 to around 20-22 programs and even if they directed half of that ACC money to the Big 12, evenly, that would be an extra $10m pspy over what the ACC and Big 12 are currently making. Obviously, ESPN shifting the full amount to the Big 12 would get all schools upward of $50m pspy and that doesn’t include what Fox would likely add to get access to the new content with FSU and Clemson.

It’s possible they are all looking at this as a way for each Big 12 program to secure a $50-$60m+ media payout which would put them in the same ball park as the other two.

ESPN would save some money by not having to pay the ACC three years down the road and some ACC fans on X told me that CBS could get a deal with the Big 12 to bring those ACC schools on board in addition to ESPN & Fox throwing more money in the pot...not unlike Amazon bringing Oregon & Washington into the B1G.

I have no idea what kind of deal FSU is talking with the Big 12 or PE companies about, but they obviously believe there is a serious issue with their current situation for one reason or another
One word to distill down what is driving the delusion: Florida.

I don’t believe that they have a better offer. I think they see that Florida is in a better position than them and want that but don’t understand that their situation is the result of Bowden wanting an easier schedule and a decade of administrative incompetence. They need to look in a mirror and blame themselves.

Back