What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Just to play devils advocate, I think sources from the B1G and SEC are just playing legalese. The article said they aren't interested in FSU "if the ACC survives."
I really think it's about Carolina. FSU and Clemson are not needle movers for the P2.

I take the report about the B1G & SEC not having interest in FSU/Clemson or in expansion with a HUGE grain of salt. They and their media partners have a history of denials about this sort of thing until the ink is dry. They don't want any legal basis for a claim they tampered and caused a conference to implode. They don't want anyone left behind and suffering material loss to be able to sue.

I take the report about the B1G & SEC not having interest in FSU/Clemson or in expansion with a HUGE grain of salt. They and their media partners have a history of denials about this sort of thing until the ink is dry. They don't want any legal basis for a claim they tampered and caused a conference to implode. They don't want anyone left behind and suffering material loss to be able to sue.
“When you get your little deal worked out with the B12, give us a call before you sign final papers.” G. Sankey

I think the doormat programs are speaking up loudly about what is happening, and they would just rather have a 3rd conference be developed that copies their situation with about 4 tiers of programs.

The Big12 ironically is in a really good position here if they can add FSU, Clemson, Miami, and say Louisville or Pitt.

Very very strong 3rd conference that likely can get ESPN, FOX, TBS, and CBS to jack us up in to the right numbers to make this all work

I see a 60 team, 3 conference structure forming, and it would work pretty slick to have 4 teams from each one for the CFP

The same B1G and SEC that effectively killed off two conferences by poaching Texas/OU and USC/UCLA in complete and total secrecy?? GMAB, neither conference gives a **** about optics. If either thought Clemson or FSU brought more money to their conferences, they’d be right in the middle of it.

Only three schools are wanted by the sec and big10. ND UVA and UNC

They are simply waiting for 6 to break for big12, so they can fight for those 3.

This is all happening because TBS/TNT lost their NBA contract and now has the money to spend on college athletics.

This is all happening because TBS/TNT lost their NBA contract and now has the money to spend on college athletics.
If TBS can make the Big12 equal or close to the others, and Florida State and Clemson can feel like the beasts in the East, then game on.
This makes Utah and Colorado the beasts from the West if we can go into max effort with Prime
Give him anything he wants, including a huge contract

The same B1G and SEC that effectively killed off two conferences by poaching Texas/OU and USC/UCLA in complete and total secrecy?? GMAB, neither conference gives a **** about optics. If either thought Clemson or FSU brought more money to their conferences, they’d be right in the middle of it.
They wouldn't at this point, not publicly. The B1G continually said they weren't interested in UO/ UW... until suddenly they were. All the quotes from the SEC/ B1G are not interested "if the ACC survives." They're just speaking legalese/ coach speak to avoid tortious interference. With the exception of the Big XII last round, conferences never broadcast their interest beforehand.

*That said, I'd love to be wrong. I'll be pleasantly shocked if FSU and Clemson ever end up in the Big XII.

Counter to this hypothesis is that those schools are on the record as making the first move to leave the ACC. That would seemingly avoid the legal liability from the P2 being accused of tampering.

They wouldn't at this point, not publicly. The B1G continually said they weren't interested in UO/ UW... until suddenly they were. All the quotes from the SEC/ B1G are not interested "if the ACC survives." They're just speaking legalese/ coach speak to avoid tortious interference. With the exception of the Big XII last round, conferences never broadcast their interest beforehand.

*That said, I'd love to be wrong. I'll be pleasantly shocked if FSU and Clemson ever end up in the Big XII.
They waited until the B12 moved by taking the 4 corner schools. This time they’ll wait until the B12 makes the first move with FSU/Clemson.

The irony is the SEC almost broke the B12, who was in turn saved by the incompetence of the Pac12 and being aggressive. The B1G really did break the Pac12 by taking USC/UCLA, but they could have survived that with even modest vision by the University presidents and the AD.

Remember that the networks are still pulling the strings, not the conferences. If ESPN can still get FSU/Clemson and the rest of the “meaningful” ACC inventory for the same or lower price as they are currently paying for the entire ACC inventory, that is far more appealing for the next 5-6 years than trying to move them into the SEC. Fox also has incentive to move them to the Big 12 rather than B1G.

Just saying this again.

Going to end up with a 64 team league. We will have 8, 8 team divisions. Divisions will largely be based on geography. We will basically be right back to where we were in 2011 before everything went haywire.

Playoffs will basically be 16 teams, with winner of your division title game going to an 8 team playoff.

Get ready for the return of the Big 8.

So FSU and Clemson bring more money to the B12, but not to the SEC and B1G? How does that work?

Just saying this again.

Going to end up with a 64 team league. We will have 8, 8 team divisions. Divisions will largely be based on geography. We will basically be right back to where we were in 2011 before everything went haywire.

Playoffs will basically be 16 teams, with winner of your division title game going to an 8 team playoff.

Nah

Just saying this again.

This is the direction we appear to be heading. Might need three conferences of 20-24 to get there, first.

Should be significant because ESPN & the ACC wouldn't want that stuff to be revealed in a court of law so hence the settlement talks which leads us to today's rumors of FSU & Clemson to the Big 12. If that ESPN stuff gets out in the blue like that, that might be enough for the Feds to launch an anti-trust investigation of ESPN.

Should be significant because ESPN & the ACC wouldn't want that stuff to be revealed in a court of law so hence the settlement talks which leads us to today's rumors of FSU & Clemson to the Big 12. If that ESPN stuff gets out in the blue like that, that might be enough for the Feds to launch an anti-trust investigation of ESPN.
I'll let Allbuffs general counsel weigh in, but I don't think anti-trust applies to ESPN when they clearly have significant competition like Fox, CBS, etc.. (and appear to be losing ground to the competition).

I'll let Allbuffs general counsel weigh in, but I don't think anti-trust applies to ESPN when they clearly have significant competition like Fox, CBS, etc.. (and appear to be losing ground to the competition).

You got to include ESPN+ in the equation and then it would show ESPN has a huge majority of D1 conferences under contract. Should be enough to be an anti-trust issue.

Back