What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

You got to include ESPN+ in the equation and then it would show ESPN has a huge majority of D1 conferences under contract. Should be enough to be an anti-trust issue.
ok, I believe you. not a subject in which I have depth of knowledge.

Only three schools are wanted by the sec and big10. ND UVA and UNC

They are simply waiting for 6 to break for big12, so they can fight for those 3.
Virginia to me is a bit of a head scratcher.
Great university with great academics to boot.
Other than some basketball, not great in sports and I'm skeptical that they get good tv ratings.

Other than some basketball, not great in sports and I'm skeptical that they get good tv ratings.

Virigina has a good number of high school football players who are D1 prospects. Tidewater region.

And the B1G didn't bat an eye when they let Maryland in and I don't think they get good tv ratings either.

I'm mostly agreeing with you, but devils advocate... what UVA gives is:
1. a presence in Virginia, which neither P2 conf has
2. a foothold in the WMA, which the SEC lacks
3. another AAU member, which the B1G apparently values

So FSU and Clemson bring more money to the B12, but not to the SEC and B1G? How does that work?
I don’t know about the big 10, but the SEC already has those TV markets. I heard something about AAU membership being important to the Big 10. I don’t think Clemson or FSU are AAU members.

Essentially, FSU and Clemson aren’t accretive to the B1G and SEC but they are to the B12. What I read into that is that nobody is accretive for the SEC and B1G anymore. They’ve reached their limits while the B12 hasn’t yet.

The B1G and SEC can drop schools to increase the size of the remaining schools or, but I really doubt they want to do that.

Pretty good scenario for the Big 12 is this were to materialize
It is, but only if it means more money per school, which I assume would have to be a given but none of the fringe "insiders" floating these rumors have really mentioned it. I don't think adding half the ACC at the same prorated amount for the next 6 years and then renegotiating a deal would be that great. Any consolidation like this would have to mean an amended media deal with sizeable increases.

It is, but only if it means more money per school, which I assume would have to be a given but none of the fringe "insiders" floating these rumors have really mentioned it. I don't think adding half the ACC at the same prorated amount for the next 6 years and then renegotiating a deal would be that great. Any consolidation like this would have to mean an amended media deal with sizeable increases.
Well, if the B12 takes 6 schools, the B1G takes 4 schools (Fox only contract), and 7 schools are left twisting in the wind, that's what? $330M/year (7 nothing, 4 now paid by Fox) to get redistributed after the new schools get trued up so ESPN has flat costs but a wildly better product?

What I don't know is what it could mean to the B12 contract being split between ESPN and Fox. Maybe ESPN bargains for more product/games?

You'd assume in the short term not much changes as there will be a lot of litigation involved with the conference and Schools of the ACC.

Media dollars is down the road and anyone saying otherwise in the short term is just speculating, IMO. However, you probably have a pretty good idea from media partners on what they are willing to pay, so it may all come hand in hand. I think all we know now is that the ACC is cooked.

You'd assume in the short term not much changes as there will be a lot of litigation involved with the conference and Schools of the ACC.

Media dollars is down the road and anyone saying otherwise in the short term is just speculating, IMO. However, you probably have a pretty good idea from media partners on what they are willing to pay, so it may all come hand in hand. I think all we know now is that the ACC is cooked.
For whatever its worth, some people connected to the Cal athletic department are saying that there is indeed some fire behind the FSU/ Clemson to the Big XII smoke, that it appears Clemson, in particular, has found a loophole in their litigation that has the ACC front office more aggressively exploring settlement options, and that Yormark has already gotten feedback from the media partners on what a Big XII with FSU and Clemson could expect to be paid.

For whatever its worth.

Last edited:
For whatever its worth, some people connected to the Cal athletic department are saying that there is indeed some fire to the FSU/ Clemson to the Big XII talk, that it appears Clemson, in particular, has found a loophole in their litigation that has the ACC front office more aggressively exploring settlement options, and that Yormark has already gotten feedback from the media partners on what a Big XII with FSU and Clemson could expect to be paid.

For whatever its worth.
When my guy BerkeleyBuff is saying this...

For whatever its worth, some people connected to the Cal athletic department are saying that there is indeed some fire to the FSU/ Clemson to the Big XII talk, that it appears Clemson, in particular, has found a loophole in their litigation that has the ACC front office more aggressively exploring settlement options, and that Yormark has already gotten feedback from the media partners on what a Big XII with FSU and Clemson could expect to be paid.

For whatever its worth.
Man, Cal and Furd would be so screwed, even more so than now. End up in a cross-continental conference and then that conference loses two of its top teams.

For whatever its worth.
Your boy says ESPN going to be using their 2027 opt out.

Does either School or fan base even care?
More than most people not associated with either would believe, but it's also one of those things that makes both think about what the future is anyways/ how much they want to or can compete in the college football landscape as it is today. Cal has a brand new chancellor - one who is extremely pro-athletics - but I have no direct insight on where he leans on things.

Clemson and FSU in B12 would be dope

How do we kick out Cincinnati, UCF, Houston, and BYU?
New conference rules:
* All chili is not allowed to have spaghetti
* No longer allowed to pay employees with Hilton Honors Points
* No space programs allowed (note: UCF will think THIS is why they got kicked out, but we can humor them)
* Games are only played on Sundays

Problem. Solved.

More than most people not associated with either would believe, but it's also one of those things that makes both think about what the future is anyways/ how much they want to or can compete in the college football landscape as it is today. Cal has a brand new chancellor - one who is extremely pro-athletics - but I have no direct insight on where he leans on things.
I looked at ESPN's conference standings page for next year. The P2 looks mighty pathetic with just OSU and WSU. I think those two and Cal and Furd came out of the P12 implosion in the worst shape.

It is pretty sad the P12 collapsed.

I know it's water under the bridge at this point, but damn did the Pac-12 screw up.

There was absolutely a path to creating a Pac-14 through UT & OU and expanding from there in a strategic way. Bad leadership and member hubris killed what should have been a juggernaut of a conference.

I loved the dream of a Pac-16 via KU, OU, UT and UH. Pod scheduling for football (NW, Cali, Mountain & Central) with 3 games against your pod & 2 each from every other pod each year. Regional rivalries plus every team playing someone from every region each year. For CU, that would mean we always play Utah, Arizona and ASU. Then we'd have UW or WSU, UO or OSU, Cal or Furd, USC or UCLA, UT or UH, and OU or KU on 2-year cycles of Home/Away.

On par with anyone for football, basketball, Olympic sports, recruiting grounds, media markets and academic prestige. It should have happened. Furk.

Last edited:
I know it's water under the bridge at this point, but damn did the Pac-12 screw up.

There was absolutely a path to creating a Pac-14 through UT & OU and expanding from there in a strategic way. Bad leadership and member hubris killed what should have been a juggernaut of a conference.

I loved the dream of a Pac-16 via KU, OU, UT and UH. Pod scheduling for football (NW, Cali, Mountain & Central) with 3 games against your pod & 2 each from every other pod each year. Regional rivalries plus every team playing someone from every region each year. For CU, that would mean we always play Utah, Arizona and ASU. Then we'd have UW or WSU, UO or OSU, Cal or Furd, USC or UCLA, UT or UH, and OU or KU on 2-year cycles of Home/Away.

On par with anyone for football, basketball, Olympic sports, recruiting grounds, media markets and academic prestige. It should have happened. Furk.
I’d put equal blame on that between UT arrogance (unequal rev share) and P12 university presidents.

Oh, and UT just FAFO joining the SEC.

Rumor has it, get this, OSU and WSU powers that be vetoed the addition of OU and UT.

Back