What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Check the date of the Tweet. I get that those two programs are the obvious prize in the ACC, but I'm sure many people laughed at this. Are we sure he doesn't have any sources?

I think UNC is the prize of the ACC. UNC would be welcomed with open arms by either P2.

All reports and rumor for the last week are that FSU and Clemson aren't wanted by either (i.e. not "the prize").

I think UNC is the prize of the ACC. UNC would be welcomed with open arms by either P2.

All reports and rumor for the last week are that FSU and Clemson aren't wanted by either (i.e. not "the prize").
I get that’s become the consensus speculation, but FSU and Clemson are the bigger brands and better programs. UNC gives the P2 access to NC and meets their accreditation requirements.

I get that’s become the consensus speculation, but FSU and Clemson are the bigger brands and better programs. UNC gives the P2 access to NC and meets their accreditation requirements.

Yea it is kind of odd but if the SEC is looking to expand their footprint then the state of NC is the most logical choice by far. And for the B1G UNC meets their AAU requirements if that's truly a requirement for them.

A 2nd team to add doesn't seem so obvious though. UVA has the high academics but not the brand recognition that UNC has. I doubt the B1G would have any interest in VT but the SEC, maybe.

I know it's water under the bridge at this point, but damn did the Pac-12 screw up.

There was absolutely a path to creating a Pac-14 through UT & OU and expanding from there in a strategic way. Bad leadership and member hubris killed what should have been a juggernaut of a conference.

I loved the dream of a Pac-16 via KU, OU, UT and UH. Pod scheduling for football (NW, Cali, Mountain & Central) with 3 games against your pod & 2 each from every other pod each year. Regional rivalries plus every team playing someone from every region each year. For CU, that would mean we always play Utah, Arizona and ASU. Then we'd have UW or WSU, UO or OSU, Cal or Furd, USC or UCLA, UT or UH, and OU or KU on 2-year cycles of Home/Away.

On par with anyone for football, basketball, Olympic sports, recruiting grounds, media markets and academic prestige. It should have happened. Furk.
One day, nik will have pods. This is what I wish for you.

In a 64-team super league, there will inevitably be sub regions. They will look an awful lot like conferences we used to have. Nik will refer to them as pods.

This is all happening because TBS/TNT lost their NBA contract and now has the money to spend on college athletics.
TBS is part of Warner-Discovery which is $35+ Billion in Debt with a market cap valuation of $24 Billion - definition of being bankrupt. They don't have a bunch of money to spend without assurances of profit. TBS/TNT are both linear programing entities and the linear business model is has been in steady decline for over a decade.

TBS has not lost the NBA, they have a right to match clause in their existing contract which some think they will invoke and the NBA will not honor the clause resulting in some litigation. Both sides are lawyering up for this eventuality.

Cut off part of tweet makes sense. The only thing I'm thinking is not accounted for properly is the SEC. It's hard to believe they are completely standing pat.

The B12 going first again, and we're hearing #Clemson, #FSU, #CardNation, #VaTech, #Pitt and #NCState, leaving the AAU accredited #UNC and #UVA, #GT and #TheU for the #B1G.

Totally makes sense. The B1G getting Atlanta (GT) and Florida (TheU) would be huge in addition to UNC & UVA.

????

To the ACC? I'm fairly certain the conference will let them stay.
FSU is obviously not getting into the BIG without AAU accreditation and the SEC were taking shots at them yesterday. It seems like the P2 want nothing to do with FSU.

FSU wants out of the ACC like its the plague. They have been very clear with that stance and into a P2 conference

Last edited:
I'm very confused as to the people who still are insistent that FSU will end up in a P2 conference. The news that the Big and the SEC don't want them isn't new - like at all. Neither conference thinks FSU (or Clemson) add value. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they have done market share studies about this and are not talking out of their asses. The SEC thinks they have the state of Florida already covered with UF. The Big Ten has been very clear they are not interested in FSU and I'm sure they have their reasons. Same with Clemson. SEC has South Carolina covered with USC and the Big Ten has been clear about Clemson, too.

The talk about the Big Ten in re: the ACC has been pretty crystal for a long time, as well. They want UVa and UNC. You can question why all you want, but the talk has literally never wavered on this. We can all throw out reasons why we think that is weird or question their priorities, but just saying "FSU has better athletics than UVa and that's all that matters" doesn't change what has been pretty evident for a long time.

Cut off part of tweet makes sense. The only thing I'm thinking is not accounted for properly is the SEC. It's hard to believe they are completely standing pat.

The B12 going first again, and we're hearing #Clemson, #FSU, #CardNation, #VaTech, #Pitt and #NCState, leaving the AAU accredited #UNC and #UVA, #GT and #TheU for the #B1G.

I'll believe Miami when I see it. This is the very first time I've seen them (or GT) mentioned as a serious Big Ten candidate.

because you believe the SEC and the B1G are likely to pass on the 'prize' and invite less valuable schools? I'm not following where your reasoning is going here.
I think there are different reasons for the P2 wanting to add programs at this time as I explained already. FSU and Clemson are the best football brands and programs in the ACC but they don’t meet what the P2 are currently looking to add

Really? I've seen that mentioned here and there for at least 4-5 years.

I've seen random posters say it, or in comments on Twitter or reddit, but I've not seen from anyone I would consider actually knowledgeable. I could be wrong though.

Florida and Florida State dominate the State of Florida. Miami is a distant third, at best, and will likely fall behind UCF soon.
Something happened. It didn't used to be that way.

Maybe the boats & hos scandal broke them, but up until the late 1990's, whenever Miami wasn't on probation, I recall them out-recruiting the other Florida schools. Of course, they were on reduced scholarships more often than not back then.

Maybe the boats & hos scandal broke them, but up until the late 1990's, whenever Miami wasn't on probation, I recall them out-recruiting the other Florida schools. Of course, they were on reduced scholarships more often than not back then.
It’s more an alumni/admin change. They want to be known more for their academic prestige than the u. Also driving an hour to your home games kills school spirit. UCF’s upswing correlates directly with their On-campus stadium.

Florida and Florida State dominate the State of Florida. Miami is a distant third, at best, and will likely fall behind UCF soon.

It’s more an alumni/admin change. They want to be known more for their academic prestige than the u. Also driving an hour to your home games kills school spirit. UCF’s upswing correlates directly with their On-campus stadium.

All of the above.

To me its the admins since Tad Foote retired which have been much more academic. Foote was essentially Gordon Gee for UM.

UM is a Smaller private school (12,500) that costs as much as Harvard doesnt help. Must student are from far away places. Most of the fans holding season tickets are locals with no affiliation

Losing the Orange Bowl and having to play at Joe Robbie is awful. I suspect when the new Soccer stadium is done that will be much closer and near the airport they might try to play there.

I think attendance would increase if they were better again and they played in a better location.

What Miami does offer any conference is a large TV market

Back