What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I'm so glad the Pac 12 didn't survive and that they didn't have to rely on Apple TV.

Article was focused on Hollywood not live sports. I'm glad CU is in a better place right now but I was one of those people who was hoping for a streaming only deal even if games still ended up on the linear networks.

Article was focused on Hollywood not live sports. I'm glad CU is in a better place right now but I was one of those people who was hoping for a streaming only deal even if games still ended up on the linear networks.
Here's the 'money-shot' quote from the article.

Apple is spending billions of dollars a year on original programming that has received strong reviews and many awards nominations. But its streaming service is attracting just 0.2% of TV viewing in the US. Apple TV+ generates less viewing in one month than Netflix does in one day.

Yikes ! 0.2% of TV viewing.
Colorado dodged a bullet here.

Here's the 'money-shot' quote from the article.

Apple is spending billions of dollars a year on original programming that has received strong reviews and many awards nominations. But its streaming service is attracting just 0.2% of TV viewing in the US. Apple TV+ generates less viewing in one month than Netflix does in one day.

Yikes ! 0.2% of TV viewing.
Colorado dodged a bullet here.

Who knows what would have happened had we stayed in the P12...next week will be when Ralphie flees the P12 and into the B12 gates.

All the stupidity about Prime to USC or other things do not take into consideration that being the king of something is a lot better than being just another cog in a league already dominated by others. Yes, many Big12 programs think they are ready to be the big dog, but most of the smart folks know that Colorado and Coach Prime can and will be the driver of the league and Yormark knows that he wants to keep Prime right where he is, and we (Colorado) must keep him here, even considering versions of ownership, profit and revenue sharing, etc...

IMG_3323.jpg
IMG_3321.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

All the stupidity about Prime to USC or other things do not take into consideration that being the king of something is a lot better than being just another cog in a league already dominated by others. Yes, many Big12 programs think they are ready to be the big dog, but most of the smart folks know that Colorado and Coach Prime can and will be the driver of the league and Yormark knows that he wants to keep Prime right where he is, and we (Colorado) must keep him here, even considering versions of ownership, profit and revenue sharing, etc...

View attachment 74007
View attachment 74009

View attachment 74010
Im shocked that The Athletic and Mandel put together a cogent thoughtful response

Im shocked that The Athletic and Mandel put together a cogent thoughtful response
Totally agree
Seeing a lot of folks coming off of the hate and realizing Colorado is really committed
By today’s value metrics, CU is killing it
I want a creative record new contract for Prime
He is worth about $15 million per year easily

Looking at those scholarship numbers, I'm not certain that CU has to add another women's sport in this case.

Why is softball not even on the list?

NM ... I didn't click the link to see the full list. But still ... IMO that should be prioritized

Article from that tweet:

Those that are not defendants in the settlement case — schools and conferences in the Group of Five, FCS and non-football playing Division I programs — are bound by the roster limits, reporting system and enforcement mechanism only if they choose to share revenue with athletes. They can opt out of the new model if they decline to share revenue.

Realignment cranking up in 3...2...1...

For some elite power programs, the total cost of both the scholarship additions and the sharing of revenue with athletes will exceed $30 million annually. To maintain compliance with the federal Title IX law, any scholarship increases in a men’s sport will likely need to be replicated in a women’s sport, driving up the additional costs.

But not all programs can afford to add so many additional scholarships. Some administrators are in the process of “tiering” their sports by decreasing investment on certain programs and increasing investment in others. This includes staff and salary cuts as well as the reduction in scholarships from Olympic sports, especially those that generate little to no revenue.

Oly programs look like they will be gutted at many schools.

Most of those are ridiculously excessive. It's not making sense to me.

Yeah I don’t really understand the point of all this

Hard to make sense of everything when some details are missing:

1. Could some schools opt in for revenue sharing for football & basketball and opt out for the rest of their sports?
2. Will revenue sharing be determined at the conference level or at the school level?
3. Will revenue sharing be determined on a sport by sport basis or department-wide? If one sport isn't making much revenue, the athletes from that sport won't get paid as much as the athletes from the sport that is making bank.

On the one hand, they're raising scholarships so high for non-revenue sports that it becomes easier to add a bunch of women's scholarships to gain Title IX balance. But they're also making it so that matching men's and women's sports have the same scholarship allotments, which works against Title IX balance (with some sports now having more men's scholarships than women's). So that doesn't seem to be the motivation.

So, I thought maybe the focus was to put an end to walk-on status or partial scholarships to avoid NIL abuse of stacking rosters and stashing players, while ensuring that teams had large enough practice rosters to continue conducting their programs as they currently do without the elimination of walk-ons becoming burdensome. It seems to work that way for football (105) and basketball (15), but there's no way a men's lacrosse team needs 48 players or currently has that many as the standard with that many walk-ons (currently 12.6 scholarships) or that women's rowing with 20 current scholarships needed to go to 68 to put every partial scholarship and walk-on in the program on scholarship.

I'm very confused on this because the allocations don't seem to match with a consistent goal.

On the one hand, they're raising scholarships so high for non-revenue sports that it becomes easier to add a bunch of women's scholarships to gain Title IX balance. But they're also making it so that matching men's and women's sports have the same scholarship allotments, which works against Title IX balance (with some sports now having more men's scholarships than women's). So that doesn't seem to be the motivation.

So, I thought maybe the focus was to put an end to walk-on status or partial scholarships to avoid NIL abuse of stacking rosters and stashing players, while ensuring that teams had large enough practice rosters to continue conducting their programs as they currently do without the elimination of walk-ons becoming burdensome. It seems to work that way for football (105) and basketball (15), but there's no way a men's lacrosse team needs 48 players or currently has that many as the standard with that many walk-ons (currently 12.6 scholarships) or that women's rowing with 20 current scholarships needed to go to 68 to put every partial scholarship and walk-on in the program on scholarship.

I'm very confused on this because the allocations don't seem to match with a consistent goal.
Feels like they raise women’s sports scholarships like equestrian, tumbling and fencing so much that it provides flexibility to add women to those relatively less expensive sports so that football can increase without violating Title IX

Most of those are ridiculously excessive. It's not making sense to me.

It's a kill shot to the lower funded schools/ADs.

To me what this says is that the P2 (or 3 or 4) decided that they did not want to strike out on their own and create an entire new athletic governance body; they're sticking with the NCAA.

But... in order to do that, they need to push the rest of the scrubs down the pecking order. They're essentially making D1 more exclusive/expensive. If you want to compete at this level, it's gonna cost you.

Yes, it's going to push a lot of schools and a lot of sports down to D2.

Make no mistake, that is absolutely the intention.

ESPN.com has more details and I will post the summary of those things from the article:

• Any Division I athlete who played a sport from 2016 to present day is eligible for past damages, which will be determined by a proposed formula

• Football and men's basketball players from power conference schools will be eligible to receive an average of $135,000

• Women's basketball players from power conference schools could receive an average of $35,000

• Highest individual estimated payout for one athlete will be $1.8 million

Schools will be permitted for the first time to pay their athletes directly via NIL deals; each school could provide up to 22% of the average revenue that power conference schools generate from media rights, ticket sales and sponsorships -- a sum that is expected to be between $20 and $22 million per school when settlement goes into effect

• The $20-22 million figure that serves, in effect, as a salary cap will increase over time as the leagues' revenue grows; number expected to grow to nearly $33 million per school by end of settlement's 10-year term

• Those payments when combined with tuition and other benefits athletes already receive will create a system where many schools are sharing close to half of the revenue they generate with athletes

• The 50/50 split calculation considers all athletes at the school as one group rather than on a sport-by-sport basis

• Athletes would still be able to make money from NIL deals with third parties

• The NCAA agreed to remove any limits on the number of scholarships a school can provide to athletes

• Settlement allows for the court to appoint a "special master" to rule on any disputes about new rules related to player compensation

Revenue splits will be determined on the entire AD not sport by sport nor conference.

Up to 22% of the average revenue that the school produces from media rights, ticket sales, and sponsorships. The full ride scholarships will bring that figure closer to 50% of all revenues.

Recruiting violations via NIL deals looks like it would be heard by a special master appointed by the court instead of the NCAA.

This is the week!

night driving GIF by South Park

Finebaum explained that while Virginia Tech may offer a better football game, the decision would be based on academics and the SEC's preference for state universities going forward.

"I believe that the SEC now wants to target state universities," Finebaum said. "In the state or commonwealth of Virginia, the University of Virginia is more highly regarded than Virginia Tech."

Academics not good enough to join the conference with Mississippi State and Arkansas. Ouch

Link

You also have to look at these changes in the broader picture where enrollment at US colleges and universities is declining fast - google "college enrollment cliff" if you are currently unaware. Nationally, enrollment is expected to drop by 100,000 students per year every year for the next 4-5 years. That's half a million customers simply disappearing.

So, you're in an industry with a massively declining customer base, what do you do?

The answer is to set yourself apart as a leader ASAP to maintain your customer base and your position while those at the bottom suffer the pain.

Right now, aside from a very, very few highly selective universities, every school in the country is trying to maximize its appeal to enrolling students, and if you can increase your appeal, while also decreasing other schools' appeal, of course you're going to do it.

We are absolutely going to see a slew of schools moving down to D2 - that is 100% intentional.

Academics not good enough to join the conference with Mississippi State and Arkansas. Ouch

Link

The ACC is about as stringent as the Pac-12 was and if VT is a member of the ACC, they qualify academically for the SEC. If the SEC could take Oklahoma in, surely they can take VT in.

Right now, the SEC is trying to improve its academic prestige by taking in two AAU universities in UVA & UNC after taking Texas & Texas A&M in their recent expansions.

That SEC homer is just moving the goalposts.

Back