What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I don't know if the Pac had interest in UTEP, but they're a great addition for the MWC. There's a good rivalry there with UNM, primarily for hoops. I'd expect the MWC to target another former WAC co-member. Maybe LA Tech? They also have the option of making Hawaii a full member. There have got to be Hawaii donors or even government support which would allow them to make some financial concessions on travel if necessary, right?

Isn't the main Hawaii benefit is that whoever plays them gets a 13th football game? I think that used to be worth a lot with P-4 schools paying for teams to come play them OCC or Hawaii covering travel costs for the away game. Now with the purported B1G/SEC scheduling partnership, I think the B-12/ACC probably follows with something similar, and the mid-majors may be further screwed since the # of OOC games potentially shrinks. For many of the B1G schools, they play local mid-majors to help the state coffers.

Both the MWC and PAC are ugly other than BSU and SDSU. I don't really get why all of this is going on. Neither conference is great.

They have to get to eight full & football playing schools to stay in FBS. Both conferences are still one school short of meeting that FBS conference requirement.

They have to get to eight full & football playing schools to stay in FBS. Both conferences are still one school short of meeting that FBS conference requirement.
Yep. And the Pac-12 has to have it done for the 2026 season so they are seriously on the clock.

I like the idea of them adding Grand Canyon for non-football to have a presence in AZ, but they have to figure out football/ full membership. Texas State makes the most sense to me if the UNLV ship has sailed.

For the MWC, I think that LA Tech, elevating Hawaii to full membership or accepting Sacramento State with its commitment to invest in a move up to FBS are its best options.

Yep. And the Pac-12 has to have it done for the 2026 season so they are seriously on the clock.

I like the idea of them adding Grand Canyon for non-football to have a presence in AZ, but they have to figure out football/ full membership. Texas State makes the most sense to me if the UNLV ship has sailed.

For the MWC, I think that LA Tech, elevating Hawaii to full membership or accepting Sacramento State with its commitment to invest in a move up to FBS are its best options.

The MWC doesn't have to get to eight until 2028 but their media rights deal ends after the 2026 football season. It's best to have all the schools under the lock & key of a GoR before going to market.

Does the PAC even have a media rights deal in place? MWC media rights expire in two years and whatever is left of the conference is going to get pennies on the dollar compared to whatever they get now. Welcome to the Mountain West, your new home for Wednesday night college football. The rejects PAC have cobbled together don't do any better driving any demand.

I think NMSU probably has less value than if the MWC invited Idaho to move back up to FBS. NMSU is 2nd fiddle in a barely relevant state for recruiting and media, has zero national cache, and even locally its metro market is basically a suburb of the El Paso market the MWC just got with UTEP.
...and it's in Las Cruces.

Does the PAC even have a media rights deal in place? MWC media rights expire in two years and whatever is left of the conference is going to get pennies on the dollar compared to whatever they get now. Welcome to the Mountain West, your new home for Wednesday night college football. The rejects PAC have cobbled together don't do any better driving any demand.

The PAC doesn't have a media rights deal in place for 2026 yet. They have to get their 2026 conference membership finalized ASAP so they can go to market for those media rights.

Do any of those moves make either conference better? Hell no. Just because they are schools in mid-major markets doesn't mean Sac State is going to get more than 10,000 to a game or La Tech is going to get anyone to tune into them playing Wyoming.

Both the MWC and PAC are ugly other than BSU and SDSU. I don't really get why all of this is going on. Neither conference is great.

I agree with you. I do not think either conference will get a leg up on the other, or the other Mid-Major conferences either. They will be all be viewed as Mid-Majors. None of these conferences will land huge TV deals or private equity partnerships.

Two things at play as this MWC/PAC realignment appears to be: (1) conference/partnership perception, and (2) geography. I think the $$ is a wash, maybe advantage MWC in the short-term, if they get all their Fees owed under contract. It could be Pac-12 somewhat in the long-term, if they can pull out Silicon valley money.

I sort of see the P12 coming in with Ore St. and Wash St. being (thinking they are) the "Big Hats," sort of analogous to the 1st iteration of the B-12. Initially, it sounded great with the B-12 adding Texas and the other SWC remnants, but after about 5 years of good competition, Texas, OU, and the B-12 South sort of incrementally took over the conference. The "Big Hats" moved the championship games. Longhorn Network got a special deal. Eventully, the B-12 North teams bolted with A&M even bolting the B-12 South going to the SEC. For the B-12 North, a few years in there was growing dissatisfaction--sort of an unequal partnership, where States of Texas/OK dominated.

I wonder if some of same fears were in play in the PAC offers. MWC teams that stayed may have concluded they don't need the "Big Hats" or a NoCal/NW centered conference. They were more comfortable with their known partners, reforming with closer geography in adding closer schools with exposure in Texas, and maintaining same basic partnership with the added benefit of Exit Fees. Except for CSU, they essentially keep the same identity they had in old WAC. BYU and Utah have been gone for years, but the others are sort of set. San Jose St. is the MWC team last geographical. They must have been po'd not to be appraoched by the Pac12 early on. I like the MWC adding UTEP. They can play with 7 until 2026, but they probably add 2 more school giving them a 10 team football league.

Geography can be huge. Personally, I thought the P-12N downfall (Colorado, Nebraska, Missou) was eventually the inability to recruit Texas, as they could in the Big-8. All of a sudden with the split conferences, many great lower tier Texas players (generally Texas, A&M, OKLA, and SEC got most of the Blue Chips) that CU,NEB and Missue could lure (plus compete) stayed in the Southern division. Eventually, the RG3's, Tech's players, and others 2nd Tier Texas recruits stayed in the B-12 South so their parents could watch them play 4-7 times a year. I think the MWC teams that stayed did so to keep their footprints and the one's that bolted except SDSU/CSU are betting on a NW/NoCal footprint or doing it their own way. I thought UNLV would bolt, as they could recruit So-Cal with SDSU but they wanted to stay put. With UNLV staying in the MWC, they keep the Vegas tie-in. I wonder where the PAC-12 championships will be--Silicon valley is maybe my guess.

Football Scoop guy.

Sam Houston State could be on the move to CUSA. Sun Belt could back fill with the schools below:

And if that comes to pass, Conference USA could then backfill with Stephen F. Austin, Texas A&M-Commerce, Houston Christian or San Antonio-based Incarnate Word. Texas Woman's University doesn't currently field a football team, but a Division I conference might call to inquire just in case.

I wonder if adding Hawaii in football would let them at least meet the eight team minimum with a convenient reinterpretation by the ncaa.

I mean it's not like any of this has any meaningful impact on the real money and power, so as long as it's kinda sorta in line with existing rules and precedent, I could see it being a relatively easy "waiver."

The funny thing is that the CSU fans think they are going to see a huge jump in revenue because “PAC 12.” That new group of teams should be called the Little Brother Conference. It’s anchored by the two schools who couldn’t get an offer from the P4.

I wonder if adding Hawaii in football would let them at least meet the eight team minimum with a convenient reinterpretation by the ncaa.

I mean it's not like any of this has any meaningful impact on the real money and power, so as long as it's kinda sorta in line with existing rules and precedent, I could see it being a relatively easy "waiver."

The PAC is a better geographical fit for Hawaii's non-football sports teams. If the PAC really wanted Hawaii, I think that would have been done by now.

The MWC expanded into two divisions, the PAC8 division and the WAC-SR division.
There was no value added, no lucrative TV contracts forthcoming, zilch.

The fact that UNLV voted to stay put and pick up 24% of the $55M in poaching fees coming their way tells you all you need to know: The PAC12 is likely not economically viable with the various exit fees etc. I think a lot of these schools are in trouble with their AD budgets.

I have a hard time seeing how the new PAC is any stronger than the MWC. They seem about equal to me.

You could argue that the MWC is dominant in three states (New Mexico, Nevada, and Hawaii) while the PAC is only the dominant brand in one (Idaho).

I still think a reverse merger of the entire MWC into the two team PAC, keeping all the residual cash, adding Zaga and St Mary’s in bball, would’ve been the better play.

Back