What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

lots of people associated with professional sports ownership and sports media. I could be wrong, but I suspect this idea is being pushed not by fans of the sport, but rather by people who stand who profit from making college sports more like the pros.

Gordon Gee is also involved. Current WVU president and he was the CU president when the Buffs won the national championship in 1990.

I suspect this is the general direction college football is headed. The conferences have become caricatures.
I am slowly coming around to the idea of relegation/promotion in a system like this. You have to give the schools in the top group an incentive to continue to invest in their programs and you have to give the schools on the outside looking in some hope that they aren’t stuck in the same situation permanently.

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

I suspect this is the general direction college football is headed. The conferences have become caricatures.
I am slowly coming around to the idea of relegation/promotion in a system like this. You have to give the schools in the top group an incentive to continue to invest in their programs and you have to give the schools on the outside looking in some hope that they aren’t stuck in the same situation permanently.
I don't love it, but parts of it make a lot of sense.

The problem is that the Power 12 schools would not be relegated in this case from what I have read. Hope that is wrong.

Because what we have now is idiotic. Something vaguely resembling regional conferences makes more sense than the current system where conference teams won’t play other conference teams in some years, and will have to travel across three time zones for games in some years.

The problem is that the Power 12 schools would not be relegated in this case from what I have read. Hope that is wrong.
Depending on how the “Power 12” is defined, it’s pretty unlikely any of them would end up in a position where relegation was a factor.

Because what we have now is idiotic. Something vaguely resembling regional conferences makes more sense than the current system where conference teams won’t play other conference teams in some years, and will have to travel across three time zones for games in some years.

You would play your five divisional opponents every season. That means CU would be playing Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State every year in addition to eight other P12 games.

I saw the same thing. They are in the bottom footnotes. They don't play in a lower "division" but in the G-8, always automatic bids to move up if they meet the criteria to move up. Sort of an in-between status, titled towards the lower G-8 with enhanced chance to move up.

While Navy is in the P12 East division.

While Navy is in the P12 East division.

I think that might be because Navy has been to a bowl game like 15 times in the last 20 years, which is better than a bunch of the teams in the upper division. Also, they have 5 active rivalry games against teams in the upper Power 12. Certainly, they would be in relegation territory given they have not had a winning season since 2019, but 4-0 this year. Air Force not making it was a surprise, but they did not take anyone from the MWC. I think Memphis was the only other AAC team that made the upper.

Last edited:
I think that might be because Navy has been to a bowl game like 15 times in the last 20 years, which is better than a bunch of the teams in the upper division. Also, they have 5 active rivalry games against teams in the upper Power 12. Certainly, they would be in relegation territory given they have had a winning season since 2019, but 4-0 this year. Air Force not making it was a surprise, but they did not take anyone from the MWC. I think Memphis was the only other AAC team that made the upper.
Academies probably won't be able to meet the upcoming major conference requirements of the school paying football players a salary as a percentage of revenue. I don't know that they won't become more like the Ivy model for athletics.

I like the idea of the p72 with relegation. I don't love the illustrated division we are in, but it would be way better than what is currently underway. Clemson and Bama would be in the catbird seat. the south division is tough.

just so we make the cut.

72 isn't going to happen when the media companies will pay a lot more per team for 48.

And nobody is going to accept a relegation model:

"Hey FOX, looks like USC won't be on your network next year because of the mess they've been since the penalties from the NIL scandal. But no worries - we're replacing them with Toledo."

Bill Farley is super smart on realignment and his Substack is really good as well as his emails that send updates.
Today he sent out links to the Utah State PAC12 contracts with a lot of crazy stuff

72 isn't going to happen when the media companies will pay a lot more per team for 48.

"Hey FOX, looks like USC won't be on your network next year because of the mess they've been since the penalties from the NIL scandal. But no worries - we're replacing them with Toledo."
On the one hand, I agree that relegation would be a non starter - unless it was structured in a way that no true blue blood would ever be at a real risk of relegation.

Otoh, I simply don't think you can come up with a model that would be accepted by enough of the public (including lawmakers) that does not include a realistic pathway for schools to move up.

Aaaand, I don't think you can have one (pathway to move up) without the other (relegation).

I think the magic number will end up being 64 to start. and they may even do 2 classes of citizenship beyond that. just like now where the g5 gets a taste. maybe the relegation is for the next tier-- I think it would 64 protected. you think 48. either way, maybe those that are just outside that cut, are in the relegation class.

Back