What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

No, it's good.
in 1991:
  • PSU, FSU, Louisville and South Carolina were all independent
  • the Big East and SWC were actual football conferences
  • CU was in the Big VIII without any conference opponents in FL, TX or CA

Franklin said the other option is to connect somewhere, but that probably adds the same amount of time, if not more. The logistics for getting a P4 football team from PA to CA are really ****ty
Maybe James can donate some of his (guaranteed) $7.5 million/year base salary to fund the runway expansion considering that adding the west coast teams is a large part of why Penn State can afford to pay him $7.5 million/year to coach a game and his top players now make more per year than probably 90 percent of the people in State College (median household income under $50K) on top of a full ride scholarship.

Cry me a ****ing river, James.

Problem solved.

I'd actually go back to 1990, with a few tweaks. But here are what the major conferences were:

ACC
Clemson, Duke, GA Tech, Maryland, NC, NC State, Virginia, Wake Forest

Big 8
Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, K State, Mizzou, Nebraska, Oklahoma, OK State

Big Ten
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin

Pac-10
Arizona, ASU, Cal, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, WSU

SEC
Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Miss, Miss State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

SWC
Arkansas, Baylor, Houston, Rice, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Texas Tech

Top Independents (could be a conference)
Boston College, BYU, Cincinnati, Florida State, Louisville, Memphis, Miami, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pitt, Rutgers, South Carolina, Syracuse, Utah, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

Let's say we wanted 7 conferences of 10 teams each. It wouldn't take much movement to make it happen, which is probably the proposed plan. Things like maybe adding BYU/Utah to the Big 8 to make it 10 teams and some other tweaks until you get down to 10 teams for a "Big East" football conference.

Truth is, many G5 programs don't even hit the actual requirements on attendance and whatnot to be FBS members but are given a pass. In fact, they had to get rid of the requirement last year. It was that you had to have average attendance of at least 15k over the past 2 seasons. Pretty much half the MAC should have been relegated by rule, for example.

A few wealthy contributors could take care of that problem annually.

Also CSU earned almost $4.4M more in student fees than CU did in their most recent reports. Even UNC in Greeley has CU beat by about $500K despite having about 1/3 the size of student body that CU has. Wyoming made the same as CU despite having similar student body size to UNC.

Central Florida students paid about $23M in student fees and having a large student body helped in that case.

Given that you mentioned the MAC:

Buffalo: $10M
WMU: $0
CMU: $0
Miami OH: $17M
Toldeo: $9.4M
EMU: $0
Akron: $0
Ohio: $0
Ball State: $12.45M
Kent State: $11.5M
Bowling Green: $13.3M
NIU: $6.8M
UMass: $10.6M

And this is going to blow some minds: NIU, who beat Norte Dame, had a $24M athletics budget in 2022 and believe it or not, UNC earned a little more (about $22M) than NIU that same year but had a smaller $18M athletics budget. If UNC was to move to FBS, they would need a little under $1M to fund 22 scholarships (based on out of state tuition) and they will need to just add another sport which likely would be beach volleyball to get to the FBS mandated 16 sports.

That is why I said there isn't much difference between FCS & G5 football. And the fear that this new college football model is going to wreck FCS & G5 schools is probably way overblown.

in 1991:
  • PSU, FSU, Louisville and South Carolina were all independent
  • the Big East and SWC were actual football conferences
  • CU was in the Big VIII without any conference opponents in FL, TX or CA

You could make the argument that the sleazy boosters in the SWC made all this happen. They chased Arkansas to the SEC, which destabilized the SWC enough to where UT and A&M bolted and took TTU and ****bailer with them, and away we went.

I’m sure the B1G couldn’t care less about James Franklin’s gripe here, but it’s pretty funny listening to the complaints everybody knew would come when four west coast schools joined a Midwest and Eastern conference.

Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Who would be the 8 permanent members of tier 1 revenue? Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas and Notre Dame? The other 8 that would comprise tier 1 but subject to relegation: Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn State, Tennessee, Florida, Auburn, Clemson and FSU?

A lot of bruised egos coming from this group
I don't know how you get any of the teams without a permanent revenue tier to agree to that. You're telling me Oklahoma and Auburn are going to be ok with the potential of relegation while Texas and Alabama could theoretically have 10 straight losing seasons and still be making more?

You could make the argument that the sleazy boosters in the SWC made all this happen. They chased Arkansas to the SEC, which destabilized the SWC enough to where UT and A&M bolted and took TTU and ****bailer with them, and away we went.
That was the biggest one. Number two would have been things falling apart on the plan for PSU & Miami to lead an Eastern Conference, causing the B1G expansion and a hot mess of a Big East that gave equal power to non-football schools.

I grew up there and it drives me crazy that we didn't get PSU, Cuse, BC, Pitt, WVU, Rutgers, VA Tech, Miami, Cincinnati and Louisville back then.

Hopefully the final configuration gives us something like that (maybe swap Miami for Notre Dame and keep Miami grouped with the ACC along with Florida State).

I don't know how you get any of the teams without a permanent revenue tier to agree to that. You're telling me Oklahoma and Auburn are going to be ok with the potential of relegation while Texas and Alabama could theoretically have 10 straight losing seasons and still be making more?
If they get the top 8 to agree, the others have no choice, tbh.

How do you figure? If the top 8 agree but no one else does, are the top 8 going to go split off and have their own little 8 team pow wow every year? It would require buy in from a majority of the proposed schools.

How do you figure? If the top 8 agree but no one else does, are the top 8 going to go split off and have their own little 8 team pow wow every year? It would require buy in from a majority of the proposed schools.
Oh the other 54 teams in tier 2 and tier 3 all want this and would agree on it tomorrow, make no mistake. The only real thing standing in the way are the B1G and SEC commissioners and the “top 8” programs. If those 10 entities are on board, the next 8 from tier 1 will have no choice.

The hyper elites draw a ton of water, but there's leverage outside of them. However, at the end of the day I think everyone invited says "yes" if the proposal is:

1. $125M per year in media revenue.
2. Emphasis on playing rivalry games.
3. Geographic groupings.
4. Maintaining conference affiliation.
5. Enhanced revenue based on performance (making conf & national playoffs).

As long as relegation wouldn't mean dropping out of the 70 but only a drop in revenue tier, it's hard to die on that hill even if there was a selection of superpowers that aren't subject to relegation. I also don't think they would die on the hill of not having any more games played against teams that aren't in the 70 (CU's not going to turn this down to protect its CSU rivalry, for example).

Keeping Deion until the next set of realignment happens needs to the goal. Of CU can capitalize on what is happening with football they can land in the Power 2.

Perhaps the lawyers could comment.

I would be inclined to agree with this. Those that are left out could probably sue the two largest conferences TV partners for attempting to rig the marketplace against their better interests. I suppose other TV networks could also sue for being shut out depending on wether the conferences favor their current partners over and outsider.

1728414339300.png

I would be inclined to agree with this. Those that are left out could probably sue the two largest conferences TV partners for attempting to rig the marketplace against their better interests. I suppose other TV networks could also sue for being shut out depending on wether the conferences favor their current partners over and outsider.

View attachment 76868
There will be lawsuits. But winning is questionable and the result of a win would be financial damages, with things still going forward. Maybe some schools get a nice check while still being left out.

Who would be the 8 permanent members of tier 1 revenue? Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas and Notre Dame? The other 8 that would comprise tier 1 but subject to relegation: Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn State, Tennessee, Florida, Auburn, Clemson and FSU?

A lot of bruised egos sandy vaginas coming from this group

Fify. **** all those arrogant ****s.

There will be lawsuits. But winning is questionable and the result of a win would be financial damages, with things still going forward. Maybe some schools get a nice check while still being left out.

Did the Bell system win in 1982? No. And a judge ordered the break up. Thats precisely what needs to happen forcing schools back to the regions they belong in. These mega conferences are incredibly bad in the long run for a majority of institutions, for players, for the game, and for the sports outside of football. They are bad for everyone except the TV people who get to create these matchups and the fewer and fewer schools in The Club.

Twenty years after theyre done creating the P2 the public will give NO ****s about the left out schools and after the newness wears off probably a few ****s about a few of the games that are in the P2. Once they can only get the ratings with SOME of the schools in the P2 the TV people will work to create a P1.

At which point the NFL likely starts a few minor leagues and takes the best players right out of high school because they cant afford the talent drain.

Ill grudgingly admit that in the post progerssive era of the courts the break up part is less likely. But this era will also pass and if it becomes as skewed as Alabama wants to be eventually a break up will happen.

Did the Bell system win in 1982? No. And a judge ordered the break up. Thats precisely what needs to happen forcing schools back to the regions they belong in. These mega conferences are incredibly bad in the long run for a majority of institutions, for players, for the game, and for the sports outside of football. They are bad for everyone except the TV people who get to create these matchups and the fewer and fewer schools in The Club.

Twenty years after theyre done creating the P2 the public will give NO ****s about the left out schools and after the newness wears off probably a few ****s about a few of the games that are in the P2. Once they can only get the ratings with SOME of the schools in the P2 the TV people will work to create a P1.

At which point the NFL likely starts a few minor leagues and takes the best players right out of high school because they cant afford the talent drain.

Ill grudgingly admit that in the post progerssive era of the courts the break up part is less likely. But this era will also pass and if it becomes as skewed as Alabama wants to be eventually a break up will happen.
I don't think we're talking about a P2 right now. It's more about realignment so that there are optimized power conferences separating into an umbrella media deal & post-season structure which would result in them only playing one another.

Good football is not limited to FBS football and whoever gets left behind will still be able to provide good entertainment.

Every time there was a shakeup like this in college sports, I wasn't happy about that but this time around, I'm looking forward to the basketball product since there will be fewer round robin games which would give more meaning to those conference games and you could think that the same would be said about the other sports out there.

Good football is not limited to FBS football and whoever gets left behind will still be able to provide good entertainment.

Every time there was a shakeup like this in college sports, I wasn't happy about that but this time around, I'm looking forward to the basketball product since there will be fewer round robin games which would give more meaning to those conference games and you could think that the same would be said about the other sports out there.
There is definitely good, competitive, creative and well coached football at all levels. I don't generally find it compelling, though, compared to the P4 level of FBS except in a limited dose. Something about crowd energy & size, pageantry and, of course, hype of marketing telling me it's THE EVENT which I'm certainly not immune to.

to everyone who posted about my post on the James Franklin thing: I went to Vandy a year and came back to Colorado for a family health situation and transferred to CC. Life is life. I don't think about it much, long time ago.

My Vandy peeps, despite Franklin success thought he was a prick and would get Vandy in a bad place......and there was a thing*.

I didn't watch the vid clip and so I was just going off what other posters posted about the travel thing.

Re-fueling thing makes a lot of sense but at the same time the B10 increase in revenue should be rubber hitting in the road taken care of (yeah, it sucks now you got to travel but there's the money to do it?). unless it isn't?

build a gawd damned runway with the NIL return money.....next time he beats tOSU or Mich. :cool:

*kinda rapey thing scandal at Vandy when he was there but I know we had that with Barney too so I suspend judgement.

I thinks it’s great that Franklin is crying about this. The absurdity of this current round of realignment needs to be put on display with a giant spotlight shown on it.
What? There was nothing weird about finishing last Saturday by watching Miami play a late night conference game at Cal. This is our new normal and we are supposed to love this.

View attachment 76868

Bringing a lawsuit is easy getting the result you want is difficult. Having an industrial economicist look at the entire thing before legal even touches would be my approach. What is the market, are firms showing price fixing behavior, is there a degree of natural monopoly, how many viable suppliers to the firms actually exist, etc are all questions that should be considered before you turn what laws, regulations, or agreements can be used to promote an opposition to the SEC and B1G. One can make legal arguments for pretty much any position what matters if subject matter experts and case law support your arguments to a high enough degree. The legal remedy is usually damages in the form of money and in rare circumstances minor regulatory concessions or modification guidelines for future behavior (see Microsoft following concerns over browsers in early 2000s). Given the wider regulatory environment it is unlikely it would be possible to stop the plans of the Super 2 barring additional legislation or cases brought before the top levels of the federal court system.

Last edited:

A lot of bruised egos coming from this group
I would think Oklahoma would be permanent.

If they're going by viewership, it's probably a toss up between LSU and Penn State for #8. If you go by "all time success" then Oklahoma would jump them.

I'm not sure contraction into a tighter and tighter group of "haves" is a long term recipe for success at OU. They've had amazing success over the years, but for the vast majority of that time, they've had one real conference rival challenging them for supremacy - the Nubs in the Big Eight and Texas in the Big 12. Now they've just been launched into a pool where they are suddenly just another program.

Back