What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU @ UCF - September 28 @ 1:30 PM MT Pregame Thread

If we ran a mature offense we’d put up 50 in games like this. Sandlot O has too many 2nd and 25 drive busters.
Colorado needs to commit to running the ball, period or it will be another game where the opposing D will be putting pressure on Shedeur leading to drive busting and an inconsistent O. While I am hoping they don't UCF will likely line up a half a dozen potential rushers on each play all standing up, none with their hand down and also run plenty of stunts which the line has struggled against leading to more than a few three and outs or drive busters. That is unless Colorado commits to run the ball and gash that defense set up to rush the passer. Meanwhile UCF is likely the best Offense Colorado has face this year. The point spread is telling us the big betters don't believe CU will stop being so commited to passing the ball. And if we see more shallow or behind the line of scrimmage close to lateral passes.. oh it could get bad.. so the most important key to a win is CU has de commit to pass first offense and commit to run the ball enough so teams can't so disrespect the run and go after SS2.

Colorado plays tight man coverage most of the time, with very heavy blitz rate. This is a extremely bad match up against a rushing offense with a QB who can really run and a couple of stud athletes in WR positions.

Even if we can score on them and try to catch up, they will grind our D down and score at will in the end.

I am not saying this is what's going to happen, just explaining why is this a bad match up for us.
You lost all credibility with "a couple of stud athletes in WR positions."

Reactions: GRM
CU doesn't have to play tight man coverage though OR utilize a heavy blitz rate if they don't want to. Its been the preffered choice to date and likely will be against most teams going forward because it plays to our stengthes. However, I don't see previous schemes to be a predictor of the one they use this weekend. That said, if RL sticks with it in this game he's not what we all hope he is. The other factor that isn't being discussed is that unlike last year, we are much, much deeper on the DL. It isn't going to be nearly as easy to wear down the DL when CU has fresh bodies to substitute late into the game. If they do wear the DL down, it will come much later in the game than anticipated

It is a difficult match up for CU but the perceived advantages for UCF aren't nearly as great as the lines suggest if CU doesn't even a little proactice game planning
This. It's amazing how some people think we live in a world where coaches don't adjust gameplans for the opponent. SMH.

If we ran a mature offense we’d put up 50 in games like this. Sandlot O has too many 2nd and 25 drive busters.
Explain in coaching terms what a mature offense looks like. Be sure to include technical terms.
Bored Daily Show GIF by CTV Comedy Channel

• Haha
Colorado needs to commit to running the ball, period or it will be another game where the opposing D will be putting pressure on Shedeur leading to drive busting and an inconsistent O. While I am hoping they don't UCF will likely line up a half a dozen potential rushers on each play all standing up, none with their hand down and also run plenty of stunts which the line has struggled against leading to more than a few three and outs or drive busters. That is unless Colorado commits to run the ball and gash that defense set up to rush the passer. Meanwhile UCF is likely the best Offense Colorado has face this year. The point spread is telling us the big betters don't believe CU will stop being so commited to passing the ball. And if we see more shallow or behind the line of scrimmage close to lateral passes.. oh it could get bad.. so the most important key to a win is CU has de commit to pass first offense and commit to run the ball enough so teams can't so disrespect the run and go after SS2.
Explain to me your thought process around running the ball against 6 in the box -> "...line up a half a dozen potential rushers on each play."

Excited Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

I took the under, the money line, and the points in various iterations.

this is a huge prove it game for the defense. the pundits don't trust our D. I think that is the main reason for the spread. even if the weather is sucky, we are going to score some points. if the D holds up, and I think it will, then we cruise to victory.

also, we some guys coming back next year who are starting to show some stuff. this is super encouraging as the pundits were saying we don't "develop" players which I have thought was yet another baseless canard.

this is a huge prove it game for the defense. the pundits don't trust our D. I think that is the main reason for the spread. even if the weather is sucky, we are going to score some points. if the D holds up, and I think it will, then we cruise to victory.

also, we some guys coming back next year who are starting to show some stuff. this is super encouraging as the pundits were saying we don't "develop" players which I have thought was yet another baseless canard.
assuming anyone is coming back next year is a fool's choice in the portal era.

Old School Yes GIF

I wouldn't have thought Lama would be the next poster needing a lesson in how to use multiquote

Despite being huge under-dogs and on the road, I like the Buffs for the upset. A GM coached team will be ready, and it would be a tough win. I just think this team can play with anyone and they have overcome adversity this year. UCF's running QB may be tough, however this will be the 3rd time they have seen a running QB this year. Hopefully, those adjustments come easier. CU has to put it together in all three phases--not perfect but good and we will have a shot to win.

V Baylor, CU gave up 200 yards in the return game, which can/should/must be fixable. Special teams just have to be much better. This game may have been a different story without those returns. However, still CU overcame pulling a rabbit out of the hat in the end. We need a KO guy who can mostly put it through the end zone--here's to Pal or whoever they find to do that!

D was good again. Except for some gashes (i.e. the 4th & 1 going to the house), the D was mostly solid even without creating a turnover until OT. % wise they did well on 3rd and 4th down. They only gave up 1 drive the length of the field, and held Baylor many times despite their good field position. Baylor had 9 drives lasting 5 plays or less, only 3 with more plays. No doubt, their running QB hurt us, but CU mostly shut down the backs. Their QB only threw for 148 yards, ran for 90, longest pass was 30 yards. I would like more sacks and turnovers, however the Dline held up it's end again. LB's better. Secondary is as advertised, even with Shilo out. Overall, I'd say BL's defensive install is going well. It seems that CU has mostly found the guys that will be playing barring injuries. All season the D has been hard hitting and have definitely shown more depth. Thus far, they have made good in-game/halftime adjustments, which is a major plus. The D is building consistency, and just continue this process. I think they keep us in the UCF game.

The O is a skittish and still finding it's footing. Big plays are there. Oline still very much a work in progress. V. Baylor CU ran the ball more, many SS runs, and it is what it is. Overall, it was more running/balance even if it is not the backs. The backs had 21 attempts. They got it home in OT running at the very end. CU decisively won the time of possession category, for the 1st time in quite a while. The sack numbers, holding penalties, and forced QB scrambles are not good and have to be mitigated as the season progresses. Hits on SS have go down. I find it a combination: some plays are the Oline losing 1on1 battles or bad line/blitz decisions plus SS not taking the quick hot read or making the right read--line, play, or open WR. IMO, SS shows great escape ability, yet some of those could be stepping up, moving to wrong place, or not rolling out. SS holds onto the ball longer than necessary, however they want those big plays. That said, as SS's goes, probably the O goes. To be considered a 1st round elite QB, SS will have to show that he can win on the road--both close games and blowouts. Saturday is a big opportunity for him. IMO, over the past 2 games I see Shurmer and SS gelling more, so this could push them forward. If this is incremental improvement for the Oline, rather than the total regression we saw last year, the O can be better/more consistent.

Comparing CU's games to UCFs, CU has certainly been tested. CU is not pretty or a well-oiled machine by any means, but they are finding are ways to improve and just win. UCF had a nice comeback @TCU (who got boat-raced last week by SMU) and is coming off their bye week. UCF's other games were against nobodys, so hope CU is the more battle tested (higher competition) of the teams. Perhaps UCF maybe comes out flat after the early bye, or CU has some early breaks that fall their way. One thing about this season is that CU has not really put together things in the 1st half (O, D or special teams), thus we have hardly played being ahead. If SS has a good road game and/or CU gets an early drop on UCF, UCF may not handle the adversity well so opportunity knocks.

Hoping for 4-1 into the bye week. Then CU gets guys healthy and the Oline shuffle could be in full force. With the extra days over the bye week, Shumer should be able to install more of his offense--maybe more motion, pistol, etc.... Same witht he defense, they will layer in more stuff.

Last edited:
Explain to me your thought process around running the ball against 6 in the box -> "...line up a half a dozen potential rushers on each play."
See photo below.. this is in regards to defense pre snap all defenders standing with additional db available to blitz as well against the 10 personnel CU uses with 1 RB in shotgun with 4 WR's
no run is expected or respected.. stunts.. How are you going to protect 2?

Attachments

• 6 potential pre snap plus nickle for 7! 40-4 screenshot.png
    6 potential pre snap plus nickle for 7! 40-4 screenshot.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
Kobe Hudson and Xavier Townsend. Kobe Hudson will be the best WR we have faced this season. If you don't think they are stud athletes, I don't know what to tell you.
Well actually, Tory Horton is the best WR we have faced this season. He was just hurt and thrown out there when he shouldn't have been playing. But other than him, Hudson is the best WR.
See photo below.. this is in regards to defense pre snap all defenders standing with additional db available to blitz as well against the 10 personnel CU uses with 1 RB in shotgun and no TE's with 4 WR's
FIFY

The thing that baffles me is that, on paper, I think CU has a distinct talent advantage over 7 or 8 teams on their schedule. If you limited to skill position players, I would even go so far as to say they have better talent than all 12 of the teams on the schedule. Yet, lesser teams show up with a game plan that works, while CU seems to struggle to find it stride. The defense has made good adjustments in the 2nd half and overall has played really well. But the offense seems disorganized in relying purely on hero ball to win.

Last year, Stanford's coaching staff absolutely pantsed CU's coaching staff. It seems they continually get out coached, and that makes me wonder whether they actually will get to 7 wins this year.

The thing that baffles me is that, on paper, I think CU has a distinct talent advantage over 7 or 8 teams on their schedule. If you limited to skill position players, I would even go so far as to say they have better talent than all 12 of the teams on the schedule. Yet, lesser teams show up with a game plan that works, while CU seems to struggle to find it stride. The defense has made good adjustments in the 2nd half and overall has played really well. But the offense seems disorganized in relying purely on hero ball to win.

Last year, Stanford's coaching staff absolutely pantsed CU's coaching staff. It seems they continually get out coached, and that makes me wonder whether they actually will get to 7 wins this year.
In general, agree with you. That said, save for one or two players, and we know who we’re talking about, this roster is very average. The I ain’t hard to find thing is overrated. Winning is required.

Stating the obvious, the offense isn’t sound. Many well documented reasons for it and it’s unlikely to change significantly. The wins the team gets from here on out will be the defense masking the inefficiencies of the offense.

Last edited:

I would contend that if you go back and watch the 2nd half of the Stanford game again (nobody should actually do that), you would find that it was, in fact, the CU coaching staff that pantsed the CU coaching staff. I agree that we are consistently outcoached, but that debacle was a ****ing masterclass in how not to coach/manage a game with a lead.

See photo below.. this is in regards to defense pre snap all defenders standing with additional db available to blitz as well against the 10 personnel CU uses with 1 RB in shotgun with 4 WR's
You run draws, screens, rollouts and quick pass game until they back off. You also employ Smalls as an extra pass pro/chip blocker which they have done. This is also the exact situation you want Shedeur to make a call at the LOS. I would LOVE UCF to put 6 in the box and blitz. That means they're most likely going man on the edges and SS2 would shred them. UCF's defense is more similar to CSU than Baylor or Nebraska.

You run draws, screens, rollouts and quick pass game until they back off. You also employ Smalls as an extra pass pro/chip blocker which they have done. This is also the exact situation you want Shedeur to make a call at the LOS. I would LOVE UCF to put 6 in the box and blitz. That means they're most likely going man on the edges and SS2 would shred them. UCF's defense is more similar to CSU than Baylor or Nebraska.
I bet Shedeur is so happy he's done with 3-3-5 defenses for the year (he's done right? RIGHT?)

Offense is 88th or something horrible like that in points per drive versus FBS opponents. It's not good!

I really like the results when we’ve used the pistol formation. #2 simply cannot hold onto the ball for as long as he has.

I really like the results when we’ve used the pistol formation. #2 simply cannot hold onto the ball for as long as he has.
I think the holding the ball is 100% due to the play calling. The last 2 games we've started well with quick passing games routes. Then, for whatever fvcking reason we start running 15-30 yard route concepts and viola, SS2 is under duress while waiting for the receivers to complete their routes. Watching the film it's not even as if the defenses have overly adjusted to take away the underneath stuff, we just decide to start going deeper. It's baffling.

more of the same coming then. They give Shedeur fits.
I think whether we can figure out a effective way to count 3-3-5 is utterly critical in terms of our bowl hope. The three 3-3-5 teams that I am aware of (Cincinnati, TT and KSU) are pretty much the most winnable games left on our schedule. If we go 2-1 against those 3, I like our bowl chance.

I think whether we can figure out a effective way to count 3-3-5 is utterly critical in terms of our bowl hope. The three 3-3-5 teams that I am aware of (Cincinnati, TT and KSU) are pretty much the most winnable games left on our schedule. If we go 2-1 against those 3, I like our bowl chance.
woof. OL needs to get settled so they can adapt to blitzes and stunts. Too bad that's been impossible since Prime got here.

Just because you say it doesn't make it true.

2nd Highest graded defender last year - Shilo.

3rd highest graded defender in game 1 - Shilo

1st for playing more than 20%, 50%, and 80% of defensive stats against NDSU.

Shilo hate has to stop. He can play. I don't even understand it. Him and Benson get so much hate when the all22s don't agree

On3 has had it out for Shilo for awhile. Had him rated a 82 as a transfer which is low end FCS. They had him as JSU worst safety transfer wise by a mile. Shilo can play and he was extremely reliable for us last year and in game 1.
You talking PFF grades?

The stuff where guys make guesses on a players assignment then grade them based off those guesses?

Arizona should absolutely be a win

Arizona should absolutely be a win
I put Utah as a definite loss and am hopeful that we get a split for UA/Kansas (both are away games which are tough in big12). OSU has been ****ty so far but they always improve towards the end of the season in recent years, so IDK.

I think either way, we need to find a way to have 2-1 against Cincinnati/TT/KSU

Back