What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU @ UCF - September 28 @ 1:30 PM MT Pregame Thread

I’m not sure what the bad match up I keep hearing about is.
Right? They are run heavy and great at it. But our run defense is top 15 in the country. They have a below average pass rush, Shedeur excels when not pressured. I don't see the bad match up piece at all. I think each team has weaknesses the other can expose and strengths they will have to find a way around.

Sure we haven't been great against running QB's. They haven't been great in pass defense.

I’m not sure what the bad match up I keep hearing about is.
Colorado plays tight man coverage most of the time, with very heavy blitz rate. This is a extremely bad match up against a rushing offense with a QB who can really run and a couple of stud athletes in WR positions.

Even if we can score on them and try to catch up, they will grind our D down and score at will in the end.

I am not saying this is what's going to happen, just explaining why is this a bad match up for us.

Right? They are run heavy and great at it. But our run defense is top 15 in the country. They have a below average pass rush, Shedeur excels when not pressured. I don't see the bad match up piece at all. I think each team has weaknesses the other can expose and strengths they will have to find a way around.
Outside of the fact it’s east of the Mississippi and I’m attending, I feel pretty good.

Sure we haven't been great against running QB's. They haven't been great in pass defense.
If both team successfully expose the weakness of the other side, UCF is still much more likely to win in the end. Colorado offense is just not consistent enough.

Although I agree that if that's the case, we will not lose by 2 TDs.

If both team successfully expose the weakness of the other side, UCF is still much more likely to win in the end. Colorado offense is just not consistent enough.

Although I agree that if that's the case, we will not lose by 2 TDs.
What's the weakness of CU's defense, cause it certainly isn't the designed run game. Maybe the QB scramble?

I guess I don't really get the logic behind any of this. UCF has a very bad pass defense, which feeds into CU's offensive strength. If CU is able to be explosive in the passing game and score consistently, UCF isn't going to be able to stick with the gameplan of 75% run and sustaining long drives and eating clock.

If CU is able to be explosive in the passing game and score consistently
That's a big if. This year's offense has not been able to score consistently.

UCF isn't going to be able to stick with the gameplan of 75% run and sustaining long drives and eating clock.
Yes they will. Watch the TCU game and you will see. It's their true identities. They grind you down by running even when they are way behind.

The great trait of UCF offense is that they know what they got in QB. They know KJ is not a pocket passer (unlike Kansas/Kansas State/WVU who tried to make their QB look better than a runner), so they don't even pretend to beat you by passing. KJ just happens to have a big arm and they happen to have some great WRs, so they can hurt you when you are overly aggressive in run D.

I am not saying CU can't win, but a lot of things need to be right in our offense in order to win this game.

running QBs have always hurt us. maybe that?

Colorado plays tight man coverage most of the time, with very heavy blitz rate. This is a extremely bad match up against a rushing offense with a QB who can really run and a couple of stud athletes in WR positions.

Even if we can score on them and try to catch up, they will grind our D down and score at will in the end.

I am not saying this is what's going to happen, just explaining why is this a bad match up for us.
CU doesn't have to play tight man coverage though OR utilize a heavy blitz rate if they don't want to. Its been the preffered choice to date and likely will be against most teams going forward because it plays to our stengthes. However, I don't see previous schemes to be a predictor of the one they use this weekend. That said, if RL sticks with it in this game he's not what we all hope he is. The other factor that isn't being discussed is that unlike last year, we are much, much deeper on the DL. It isn't going to be nearly as easy to wear down the DL when CU has fresh bodies to substitute late into the game. If they do wear the DL down, it will come much later in the game than anticipated

It is a difficult match up for CU but the perceived advantages for UCF aren't nearly as great as the lines suggest if CU doesn't even a little proactice game planning

Klatt does think it's a very bad matchup for us. Nothing to do with being good or bad, just bad matchup. IMO, it's usually dangerous to touch the line for games like this
I disagree with the match up analysis, a bit. We finally have a bit of a more solid run defense. Sure we’ve had trouble with running/scrambling QBs, but that’s not abnormal for most Ds. And we still haven’t given up a bunch of points on D.

I think we can load the box with our LBs finally being solid against the run. Then man up their one good WR and play Zone elsewhere. I think our DC can handle this and adjust. I also think our DL is starting to get a pass rush, and I’m seeing more from the Edge guys each week.

Maybe I’m the only one. lol

Which players are redshirting and "tapping out" of the season? Prime said it's happening and that probably means 2 deep guys who aren't getting lots of snaps. OL? DB? Are the areas i think of. Maybe some LB.

If we ran a mature offense we’d put up 50 in games like this. Sandlot O has too many 2nd and 25 drive busters.
Love this take, especially if we are getting pounded by the run and holding up, but then getting put back on the field too soon.

Give me your 2-3 sentence explanation of your "Mature Offense" comment, because I completely agree!

Shilo only has one penalty this year. Travis has two on defense. Once again, let's be realistic when talking Shilo. He's a legit NFL safety. Those don't fall off trees
Are Hunter’s penalties Personal Fouls?

Is Shilo’s?

What is Hunter’s snap to penalty ratio?
What is Shilo’s

And do Craig and Stoudmire

Last edited:
Two things...Shilo isn't a good player, and our defense is far better with him off the field. On3 has pointed out this fact. Shiloh can't cover and is slow, and if he's back in the starting lineup when he's back, it'll be daddy ball, and we'll suffer for it.

Second. CU's defense has allowed 19 points in four second halfs this year. That's elite.

We can stop the run. Jefferson is an ok runner but not a burner at all.

We should be able to win this game.

Two things...Shilo isn't a good player, and our defense is far better with him off the field. On3 has pointed out this fact. Shiloh can't cover and is slow, and if he's back in the starting lineup when he's back, it'll be daddy ball, and we'll suffer for it.

Second. CU's defense has allowed 19 points in four second halfs this year. That's elite.

We can stop the run. Jefferson is an ok runner but not a burner at all.

We should be able to win this game.
Just because you say it doesn't make it true.

2nd Highest graded defender last year - Shilo.

3rd highest graded defender in game 1 - Shilo

1st for playing more than 20%, 50%, and 80% of defensive stats against NDSU.

Shilo hate has to stop. He can play. I don't even understand it. Him and Benson get so much hate when the all22s don't agree

On3 has had it out for Shilo for awhile. Had him rated a 82 as a transfer which is low end FCS. They had him as JSU worst safety transfer wise by a mile. Shilo can play and he was extremely reliable for us last year and in game 1.

If you are interested: Fox has a 24/7 show on Helene. It's on the free channel slate of a smart TV.

No political comments

If you are interested: Fox has a 24/7 show on Helene. It's on the free channel slate of a smart TV.

No political comments
That coverage will be very focused on the coasts, as it should be. I’m in Orlando for work this week and the residents are very unbothered, I was informing some of them about a potential hurricane this week. No material rain overnight and currently calm and cloudy…

Back