What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU-UCLA Game Thread! Espn 2 5 PM MT

We've got to have another rb step up with some carries. Broussard will be doubtful to last carrying it 30 times a game. They are definitely relying on the running game to set things up.

Coming out of last night I was obviously encouraged. I was impressed by Noyer’s passing, but I was not surprised by the grit and leadership that carried over to the team.

Loved our offense. Balanced, lots of NFL sets, pre-snap movement, and limited amounts of “gimmicks” that kill drives when they don’t work. You can tell Dorrell and staff are going to bring the NFL style to CU and that can only help in recruiting I would think.

The defense had opportunity obviously, but a lot of it was getting lined up and not feeling comfortable with assignments which didn’t allow them to play as fast as I think they are capable. I would expect improvements on the D side of the ball as the season progresses.

One last musing, at the time I was like WTF, but in reflection the move to bring in Lytle was genius. The only way to shed the infatuation with a backup QB is to let them play and have fans see the difference. Even the most ardent Noyer bashing fans had to have been clamoring to get him back in the game at that junction. Might be giving him too much credit, but Dorrell might be playing some chess while others are playing checkers.

Coming out of last night I was obviously encouraged. I was impressed by Noyer’s passing, but I was not surprised by the grit and leadership that carried over to the team.

Loved our offense. Balanced, lots of NFL sets, pre-snap movement, and limited amounts of “gimmicks” that kill drives when they don’t work. You can tell Dorrell and staff are going to bring the NFL style to CU and that can only help in recruiting I would think.

The defense had opportunity obviously, but a lot of it was getting lined up and not feeling comfortable with assignments which didn’t allow them to play as fast as I think they are capable. I would expect improvements on the D side of the ball as the season progresses.

One last musing, at the time I was like WTF, but in reflection the move to bring in Lytle was genius. The only way to shed the infatuation with a backup QB is to let them play and have fans see the difference. Even the most ardent Noyer bashing fans had to have been clamoring to get him back in the game at that junction. Might be giving him too much credit, but Dorrell might be playing some chess while others are playing checkers.
I saw KD pull down his mask and say “I hope Duff is happy”.

You may be right but I can’t see a first year coach in his first game adding any risk to the game to end debate with doubters like that. Maybe just me but that’s hard to see

With how much they are running Noyer, which I like, they know they need a back up ready to play. I’m happy they recognize that and are getting Lytle real snaps.

@Creebuzz made a great point in the chat that even though momentum was on our side and Noyer was playing well, that was a smart time for Lytle to come in. Not a high pressure situation In terms of the score or field position. If he moved the offense, great. But if he went three and out, not a huge problem. Just punt the ball and play field position football with a defense who was at that point still playing lights out.

With how much they are running Noyer, which I like, they know they need a back up ready to play. I’m happy they recognize that and are getting Lytle real snaps.

@Creebuzz made a great point in the chat that even though momentum was on our side and Noyer was playing well, that was a smart time for Lytle to come in. Not a high pressure situation In terms of the score or field position. If he moved the offense, great. But if he went three and out, not a huge problem. Just punt the ball and play field position football with a defense who was at that point still playing lights out.
I don’t agree with that at all, we should have tried to score there and taking Noyer out was a huge mistake. It’s the first game, he was playing well and we reward him with that? Wtf.

I don’t agree with that at all, we should have tried to score there and taking Noyer out was a huge mistake. It’s the first game, he was playing well and we reward him with that? Wtf.
I would bet both QBs knew it was coming as part of the game plan. Lytle earned some snaps. I’m cool with it. I hope he gets a few more so he has a chance to get in a rhythm. But, Noyer is a clear starter.

I would bet both QBs knew it was coming as part of the game plan. Lytle earned some snaps. I’m cool with it. I hope he gets a few more so he has a chance to get in a rhythm. But, Noyer is a clear starter.
Based on what I heard, lytle didn’t earn anything lol

If not at a time like last night, when would you say a back up should get snaps? If the answer is not until the game is out of hand one way or the other, that’s what has happened for the last five years to our detriment.

If you want any real depth at all at the qb position you have to give the backup snaps that matter <<full stop>>.

There was no, and will never be an "almost no risk" situation to get the backup real snaps. There's *always* a reason not to do it. Which is why our coaches the last decade or so haven't had the balls to do it.

If not at a time like last night, when would you say a back up should get snaps? If the answer is not until the game is out of hand one way or the other, that’s what has happened for the last five years to our detriment.
Agree. For the past few years there was always an excuse for not getting a backup time.

I loved what I saw in Noyer last night but the guy is running the ball like Sefo did trying to knock out LBs. We are always one play away from needs the back-up to be ready to go. Having a backup who has actually taken snaps while it still mattered is a big thing.

All I know is momentum is not something to jack around with in football, any sport actually. I don't mind getting reps for other guys, we need to. I guess it was the timing more than anything imho.
Going one series with Lytle wasn't going to jack up our momentum. Having a backup QB that the first team offense has played with some is a good way to keep momentum if needed.

Last night the momentum got messed up not by playing Lytle but by lousy special teams play (two blocked FG attempts and another miss) and the defense not being able to handle the screen play.

Agree. For the past few years there was always an excuse for not getting a backup time.

I loved what I saw in Noyer last night but the guy is running the ball like Sefo did trying to knock out LBs. We are always one play away from needs the back-up to be ready to go. Having a backup who has actually taken snaps while it still mattered is a big thing.

Going one series with Lytle wasn't going to jack up our momentum. Having a backup QB that the first team offense has played with some is a good way to keep momentum if needed.

Last night the momentum got messed up not by playing Lytle but by lousy special teams play (two blocked FG attempts and another miss) and the defense not being able to handle the screen play.
Not sure why we struggled so much with the screen plays. I was screaming, “SCEEEN!” at tv, each time.

Not sure why we struggled so much with the screen plays. I was screaming, “SCEEEN!” at tv, each time.
An inability to get to the qb without individual guys absolutely selling out to get there. When they're focused that hard on one thing, it's hard to have the awareness to stop a screen.

Last edited:
It’s just what happens when you have to blitz to get pressure.
I guess, but it didn’t look to me like the front 4 had any recognition of the screen play as they were getting past the OL. Usually someone has that “oh ****” moment when they realize that the Guard is waving them through. Our front 4 never seemed to have that, despite my great play recognition and tv coaching!

It’s just what happens when you have to blitz to get pressure.

Agreed. The third quarter was UCLA adjusting to us selling out (successfully) in pretty much every passing situation in the first half. Everything settled down a bit in the 4th and we were able to hold on.

Buffs need to also give Clayton some playtime. This is a 'free' season and if he doesn't play I could easily see him get discouraged and want out. With Broussard looking so dominant, Clayton may not see a scenario where he becomes the star.

I think he will eventually, he was injured for a lot of camp and probably doesn’t have a good feel for the offense yet

Buffs need to also give Clayton some playtime. This is a 'free' season and if he doesn't play I could easily see him get discouraged and want out. With Broussard looking so dominant, Clayton may not see a scenario where he becomes the star.

He was injured and missed a decent amount of practice, I think. The first thing the coaches mention when talking about why Broussard ended up top of the depth chart is his blocking. So, you have to assume Clayton has some catching up to do there.

I’d like to see him as well, and think we will at some point, but he’s buried because of injuries, lack of offseason, and likely lack of knowledge and pass pro, etc. He would be disillusioned to think he’d be “the guy” anywhere better than CU right now.

A lot of fun.
Noyer was very good.
Broussard was great.
O-line was solid.
Coaching and D suspect.
No feel for Noyer and the long ball. Glad he stayed around.

I’d like to see him as well, and think we will at some point, but he’s buried because of injuries, lack of offseason, and likely lack of knowledge and pass pro, etc. He would be disillusioned to think he’d be “the guy” anywhere better than CU right now.
#1 Mangram (sp) was real productive last year and I wondered why he wasn't more prominent.

On one early spot, the Ump was right there as the ucla guy stepped out, but instead of placing the ball down, he made a display of looking to the opposite sideline, and the flagstick, before putting it down for 1st and 10. I thought it was a bad spot. I've got it in my head, that old-time P12 officials favor teams like ucla, usc, over CU and the utes. BB too.

#1 Mangram (sp) was real productive last year and I wondered why he wasn't more prominent.
I liked Mangham a lot last year as well and felt he was the more patient and dynamic runner between he and Fontenot. Thought this would be a breakout season for him. I haven’t watched last nights game yet, but seems like he struggled

Impressed by Noyer (keep Lytle off the field)

CU defense should be better than they showed. Lots of mental breaks. Its great to be able to fix those coming off of a win. Need more rotation in the front 7 so that we have a fresh pass rush in the 4th qtr.

We ran the ball much more physically than I thought we could. That said, Broussard is for real. Big drop off with Mangham in there. We need another back to spell Broussard. Fontenot, Clayton?

Chiv play calling gets a B+ (improvement). Game prep gets an A.

UCLA is bad and was woefully unprepared. DTR is a liability, and I expected more from a 3rd year starter.

Solid first game considering new staff and no spring ball. Stanford looks to be an interesting match up.

Go Buffs!

Back