What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU-UCLA Game Thread! Espn 2 5 PM MT

About as shockingly a good offensive performance as I have seen in a long time. Just wow.

Toughness and leadership matter at the QB position. Who knew?

Judging by the rest of the conferences around the country, I am ready for the rollercoaster that is 2020 college football.

And LOL Chip Kelly

About as shockingly a good offensive performance as I have seen in a long time. Just wow.

Judging by the rest of the conferences around the country, I am ready for the rollercoaster that is 2020 college football.

And LOL Chip Kelly

Good take as usual, but we missed you you during the game thread. At least I did lol

Noyer's management of the game was very good and in general his post-snap decision making was too. No real silly decisions and most of his throws were very accurate. Also, several physically tough runs that were key.

Don't know what to say about Broussard's debut, but I sure didn't expect that.

Also, don't know that to think of the multitude of big plays given up by the defense. It seems thaat figuring out that the tight end might be running up the seam could be something to think consider.

Noyer's management of the game was very good and in general his post-snap decision making was too. No real silly decisions and most of his throws were very accurate. Also, several physically tough runs that were key.

Don't know what to say about Broussard's debut, but I sure didn't expect that.

Also, don't know that to think of the multitude of big plays given up by the defense. It seems thaat figuring out that the tight end might be running up the seam could be something to think consider.
We gave up some gashers!

Even though the second half had some difficult moments, I never once lost confidence in the offense doing what it needed to do. Everything leading up to this season considered, that, in itself, is a huge victory.

Offense: A-. Really fantastic showing by both Noyer and Broussard. Broussard looks like an absolute stud and Noyer seems poised and in control. He threw confidently and made some great plays with his feet. The playcalling was fantastic. The Lytle series was a headscratcher.

Defense: C. Bit of a rollercoaster performance, with extreme highs and lows. I'd definitely give the front 7 a significantly higher rank than the secondary. Loved the aggressive play calling in the first half, but once UCLA adjusted, we started giving up big, big plays. Still, we managed to step up when we needed to in the second half, with two fourth down stops to complement the barrage of turnovers from the first half. UCLA is not a great team by any means though, so I still feel a bit of a question mark hanging over this unit.

Special Teams: C-. Fantastic coverage on punts and created a major turnover early in the game. Two blocked kicks and another one falling short is disappointing. We all feel significantly better about this game if even 2 of the 3 missed/blocked field goals manage to connect.

Coacing: A-. Overall, I feel like this performance was better than the sum of its parts. Karl Dorrell had this team absolutely ready to play, and Chev's play calling was fantastic. I dislike the decision to paly Lytle for that series in the 2nd quarter when Noyer was rolling, but do like that they're willing it up at qb a bit and get some experience passed around- it seems more and more like CU is one of the only college programs that doesn't really do this. The clock management to end the 1st half was extremely weird.... but, given the circumstances...

And LOL Chip Kelly
Noyer was Shocking for sure. Kinda makes you wonder about why he wasn’t playing more last year??

I thought our D would play much better given all the talk about how experienced our front 7 is... Stanford will be a significant battle in the trenches. The jury is still out but they made critical stops when needed.

Noyer was a pleasant surprise. Great to see him play so calm and not scared like Montez. Our running game could be reminiscent of 2001 very impressed with Broussard! He played like a man on a mission.

Ugly win... thought we were going to score 50 plus but the W is all that matters! #SkoBuffs on to Stanford.

I thought our D would play much better given all the talk about how experienced our front 7 is... Stanford will be a significant battle in the trenches. The jury is still out but they made critical stops when needed.

Noyer was a pleasant surprise. Great to see him play so calm and not scared like Montez. Our running game could be reminiscent of 2001 very impressed with Broussard! He played like a man on a mission.

Ugly win... thought we were going to score 50 plus but the W is all that matters! #SkoBuffs on to Stanford.
Front seven got gashed on some screen plays and some draws, also by a highly mobile QB. Hoping that was in part due to it being the first game after having limited practice time.

DBs got torched but that limited practice could be a part of that along with having a true freshman on the hot corner with single deep coverage more often that he should have.

We bailed UCLA out at least three times on DPI calls that were legit calls but where the pass wasn't close enough to the receiver that it could have been caught without the interference. Each kept a drive going. Hopefully they get that cleaned up.

FIXES:
Defensive Play Calling and Coverage
Special Teams Blocking and Kicking
Chev calling way too many throws to the sideline (for little to no gain and even losing yardage). Very successful when throwing downfield (Is there anyone who has his ear?)

Otherwise, considering the lead up to this game, very very positive

Folks, we WON THE GAME!!!

New Coach
New Staff Members
New QB
New RB
Mostly New WR
No Fans
No Spring Ball

fUCLA has had the same coach and QB for 3 years, and that coach is the supposedly great Chip Kelly
Added one FIX

Mangham does not pick up his feet.
Mangham is SLOOOOOOOOWWWWWW.

This is a guy who barely averaged 4 yards a carry last year. Slow acceleration, slow top speed. I tried to tell you guys before last season he wasn't gonna do much, and even after being less than impressive, people here still tried talking him up and saying he'd pass Fontenot...which really had me wondering if we were all watching the same games.

IMO, he looks like a bigger Byron Ellis out there.

I'll have my crow for breakfast, Noyer really surprised me. He was very solid, mature out there, moment wasn't too big for him. Broussard was really good, that's one of the best friends a qb can have is somebody that can carry the rock. Stanley was really good too, had some te production as well. Defense needs to get their head out, damn near blew a 28 point lead. Kicking game needs to figure it out. Overall, very happy with the win, plenty to work on though.

And LOL Chip Kelly
Chev called a great game. Very impressive. Time will tell how much was coaching, talent and execution and how much was a bad opponent.

Love that Noyer doesn't turtle. Tough, aggressive kid. The 40 yarder (or so) in the 4th quarter was a beautiful toss. I also had no idea Broussard was that good. Hope he stays healthy. O-line was much better than I anticipated last night. Let's hope that continues.

I was pleasantly surprised with the D in the first half, but the wheels completely fell off in the second. Not sure if that was adjustments made by the cubs and not by us. The TE over the middle burned us at least 3 times. Hope they are able to adjust more effectively going forward.

We're not going to get 4 turnovers a game. Without them, we lose this one. UCLA will be our easiest one on the schedule (san the 'cats, but it's a roadie) so the coaches have their work cut out for them if we're going to get another W. I highly doubt we'll play all the remaining games due to escalations w/ COVID.

It does feel good to win the opener, though!

Back