What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU-UCLA Game Thread! Espn 2 5 PM MT

That's a good question. The passing game was kept pretty simple to get Noyer going, but he converted. One of the most encouraging things was to see the OL dominating like they did, especially against a UCLA team that embarrassed them a year ago. We'll see.

How the **** did that happen last year? I thought Mel Tucker was all about being physical.

This season doesn’t matter. We can win more NEXT season (and in future seasons) by giving younger players run.

One thing the people in your camp don’t understand: NOT giving meaningful snaps to younger players is why a guy like Noyer got buried on the depth chart.

Many people here are decrying previous staffs for not “knowing what they had” in Noyer. They’re doing the same thing this staff is doing: these coaches want to win now so they’re playing what they have.

So we should have started Ashaad Clayton over Broussard at running back? Clayton is the younger player.....

Bruossard was amazing with his way of being at pretty much full speed as he enters the hole, and he just FLOWS thought the hole, either a cut, shuffle, slide, whatever to make it through and the defender is probably amazed he is already through.

He must watch Bruce Lee movies, and he knows how to "be like water"

Keep it up Brou

He runs a lot like Lindsay does.

Again, they've been here seven months. We need stability more than anything right now.

They will earn the right to stay over the next 3 years. Otherwise, see ya. They better start figuring out the recruiting and HCKD better be prepared to lose his longtime friend he made the recruiting coordinator.

They will earn the right to stay over the next 3 years. Otherwise, see ya. They better start figuring out the recruiting and HCKD better be prepared to lose his longtime friend he made the recruiting coordinator.

That's basically what I was saying earlier. If we're recruiting like this then, I'll be right there with you and others asking questions. For right now, I'm not. There were some things I didn't love last night (see UCLA carving our defense up in the second half), but I'll take a W. A lot easier to correct that after a win.

None of us would have have bet prior to the game that Noyer and Broussard would have ended up the week as the top-rated players in the PAC in their respective positions. OL was dominant. There are certainly issues in the defensive backfield, but those seem to be coachable issues and not athletic ones. Buffs covered the Vegas spread by 12 points. Buffs are +8 at Stanford next week, which is an insult. I say Sko Buffs...

What if we don’t win 3 games and don’t give meaningful run to younger players? Then where are we with their development?

I expect Lewis to make Freshman errors. I’d rather he make them in an abbreviated season with muted expectations than a regular season when we expect the team to win.
This posts displays a basic lack of understanding of competitive team sports.

I didn't like not using our TOs at the end of the half, and there was a play when we should have gone for it, but didn't. I'll have to check the replay. Play calling good on O, D questionable
That situation at the end of half seemed strange to me too. For now Im giving him the benefit of the doubt because I am impressed with the rest the game.

This posts displays a basic lack of understanding of competitive team sports.
You’re right. Let’s just keep doing the same thing and continue being terrible at getting great players and developing great players.

We are arguing an empirical issue. Colorado has tried your way. It has not worked. But, I guess I don’t understand that we’ve been terrible for nearly two decades either, huh?

He runs a lot like Lindsay does.
He runs like NFL Lindsay, but College Lindsay was a bit of a Hammer instead of a Wrench. Phil has begun to master patience and hole development and burst, but Broussard has this really unique body sneak that just cruises through the hole and has multiple moves in the toolbox to make yards. I really like the young man and hope that he is like Phil in having stronger knees and a great career.

You’re right. Let’s just keep doing the same thing and continue being terrible at getting great players and developing great players.

We are arguing an empirical issue. Colorado has tried your way. It has not worked. But, I guess I don’t understand that we’ve been terrible for nearly two decades either, huh?
Doing the same thing means we go undefeated. This isn't an argument I'd dig my heels in.

Recruiting is certainly very important. And so is coaching. You can't be a great recruiter if you're a crappy coach. And vice versa.

Rewatched that lead up to halftime and man is that absolutely terrible time management!!! Dorrell has his arms crossed like its a Sunday Pickup game and nobody has any hurry up in them. We are moving the ball and could have pushed for a TD!!! I think the final should have been 54-35 at least if we stayed on the gas. Was that KD or DC that made the choices on timing? Would love to know for a friend!

Recruiting is certainly very important. And so is coaching. You can't be a great recruiter if you're a crappy coach. And vice versa.
But you can be a Great Recruiter, Decent Coach, and CRAPPY Human Being right? (Tucker and many others)

Doing the same thing means we go undefeated. This isn't an argument I'd dig my heels in.

This take of yours is dumb. I am talking about program development. He is talking about hoping that we’ll win 1–2 games more because of the empirically denied “winning begets winning” mantra.

What begets winning is, first, recruiting. You sell better players than the ones in your program with playing time and/or a pathway to the NFL. We don’t have a good recruiting strategy. How can we identify the positions that are most important? We need player evaluation on the field. We don’t get player evaluation if players can’t get run.

But I hear... “we want to win!” This is not a regular year. Everyone but Colorado fans recognize this. This is a mulligan year. We won’t win the division, the conference, or the CFP. This is a perfect opportunity to develop players and find out which offers need to be cut so we can try and do better in closing recruits who can come in and help.

We have tried this “play the oldest” strategy for nearly 20 years. It has not worked. It’s like one game gives y’all amnesia.

The rule in these situations is that if the younger player gives your team the same opportunity to win (or close) then you go with the younger player.
Based on what I saw last night and the fact that Lytle is the number two, it isn’t even close.
After a spring season and a real training camp in the fall, Lewis may get there, but all the evidence points to the fact that he isn’t there yet.
Since we can assume that he isn’t there, imagine how hard it would be to recruit another great QB in the near future if they had already crowned Lewis the starter.
HCKD is handling the situation just right.

The rule in these situations is that if the younger player gives your team the same opportunity to win (or close) then you go with the younger player.
Based on what I saw last night and the fact that Lytle is the number two, it isn’t even close.
After a spring season and a real training camp in the fall, Lewis may get there, but all the evidence points to the fact that he isn’t there yet.
Since we can assume that he isn’t there, imagine how hard it would be to recruit another great QB in the near future if they had already crowned Lewis the starter.
HCKD is handling the situation just right.
If Lewis not the guy, you know, so you can adjust for 2021 not have to wait for 2022. Right now, we don’t have a player coming in for 2021 who makes sense at the QB position. We do not have the depth.

You can’t build depth if guys sit.

But sure, having a guy in medical school play almost every game at QB for two years is a great way to build depth. This is not going to work.

From the MSU fan boards:
Just listened to Mels post game presser. Not impressed, in fact he sounded, in my opinion a bit rattled, as he should be. Why he didn’t let a back up qb play more is beyond me. Not saying it would change the game result at all but you have to develop your second string in case of injury. Just doesn’t make any sense if you are trying to manage for the long term as well as the short term.

One thing that you can say about Manhattan is that he digs in! He knows no surrender!!
Why would I surrender? I have the entirety of nearly two decades to support my position and you have kool-aid fueled hope. We’ve covered this issue ad nauseum. In a few years from now when we are wondering why we keep reaching for mediocrity and how we can possibly get better, I’m going to gravedig this thread and show y’all that you still don’t get it.

From the MSU fan boards:
Just listened to Mels post game presser. Not impressed, in fact he sounded, in my opinion a bit rattled, as he should be. Why he didn’t let a back up qb play more is beyond me. Not saying it would change the game result at all but you have to develop your second string in case of injury. Just doesn’t make any sense if you are trying to manage for the long term as well as the short term.

I've gotta watch that for myself. Had friends who couldn't stop talking about how badly they got their asses kicked. **** the Big 10 for making me pick between having to hate-watch Nebraska or Mel Tucker because they both played at the same time.

Why would I surrender? I have the entirety of nearly two decades to support my position and you have kool-aid fueled hope. We’ve covered this issue ad nauseum. In a few years from now when we are wondering why we keep reaching for mediocrity and how we can possibly get better, I’m going to gravedig this thread and show y’all that you still don’t get it.

And I'm gonna gravedig your posts if Karl Dorrell has success here, Mel.

If Lewis not the guy, you know, so you can adjust for 2021 not have to wait for 2022. Right now, we don’t have a player coming in for 2021 who makes sense at the QB position. We do not have the depth.

You can’t build depth if guys sit.

But sure, having a guy in medical school play almost every game at QB for two years is a great way to build depth. This is not going to work.

You build depth by recruiting more and better guys and creating internal competition. That becomes tougher if you start a freshman.

If Lewis was a 4 or 5 star guy you might have a better case, but you don’t have a strong argument here.

Back