What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU-UCLA Game Thread! Espn 2 5 PM MT

Why would I surrender? I have the entirety of nearly two decades to support my position and you have kool-aid fueled hope. We’ve covered this issue ad nauseum. In a few years from now when we are wondering why we keep reaching for mediocrity and how we can possibly get better, I’m going to gravedig this thread and show y’all that you still don’t get it.

Actually you are the one using “hope” as a strategy. You are “hoping” that Lewis is that guy. He isn’t yet.

From the MSU fan boards:
Just listened to Mels post game presser. Not impressed, in fact he sounded, in my opinion a bit rattled, as he should be. Why he didn’t let a back up qb play more is beyond me. Not saying it would change the game result at all but you have to develop your second string in case of injury. Just doesn’t make any sense if you are trying to manage for the long term as well as the short term.
I wonder if Mel references meat and potatoes?

Why would I surrender? I have the entirety of nearly two decades to support my position and you have kool-aid fueled hope. We’ve covered this issue ad nauseum. In a few years from now when we are wondering why we keep reaching for mediocrity and how we can possibly get better, I’m going to gravedig this thread and show y’all that you still don’t get it.

In fairness to you, if Noyer and Lytle stink it up later in the season, then by all means, give the kid Lewis a shot. But for now, based on what we saw last night, keep rolling with Noyer

Actually you are the one using “hope” as a strategy. You are “hoping” that Lewis is that guy. He isn’t yet.
You have a reading problem. My comments aren’t specific to Lewis, although he is one player who fits.

We should be giving run to all players this season to find out who’s a player and who’s not a player. Then, we continue the process of turning over dead weight or figuring out if they have the juice to get better.

We lost the spring, had a mini mini camp, and now are just doing what we always do - mostly play upperclassmen because they’re older. We have to think differently. This season does not matter for wins and losses. It does matter for roster management and development.

You have a reading problem. My comments aren’t specific to Lewis, although he is one player who fits.

We should be giving run to all players this season to find out who’s a player and who’s not a player. Then, we continue the process of turning over dead weight or figuring out if they have the juice to get better.

We lost the spring, had a mini mini camp, and now are just doing what we always do - mostly play upperclassmen because they’re older. We have to think differently. This season does not matter for wins and losses. It does matter for roster management and development.
I don’t entirely disagree with you on this subject, but the guys playing aren’t just playing because they’re older. Most of them are just better. Part of your philosophy would mean playing the younger OL, which would result in an absolute cluster****. There has to be a base level competency before a player can step onto the field at all. There’s also the idea that a coach starts losing all credibility when he plays the worse guys over the better guys just because they’re younger. It’s a great way to completely lose the team. If all talent and ability is equal, play the younger guys.

Reactions: DBT
I don’t entirely disagree with you on this subject, but the guys playing aren’t just playing because they’re older. Most of them are just better. Part of your philosophy would mean playing the younger OL, which would result in an absolute cluster****. There has to be a base level competency before a player can step onto the field at all. There’s also the idea that a coach starts losing all credibility when he plays the worse guys over the better guys just because they’re younger. It’s a great way to completely lose the team. If all talent and ability is equal, play the younger guys.
The team is not lost if we play the entire team to find out who can play and who needs to go. I’m not even saying that younger players have to all play entire games if they are a “disaster”.

I see this season as an extension and replacement for the camps and long term practices that we missed. We will lose talented younger players to transfer because we will sacrifice their development since we care about winning in an irrelevant season.

What this all comes down to are your views about this season for CU. I don’t care if KD loses or wins this year. My expectations are low for wins and losses. What I care about is roster evaluation/management, player development for players who will return in 2021, etc., and having a real recruiting game plan based upon the needs we have on the field.

There are many here (me included) who WANT to win, but where we are divided is in whether or not we should behave like we’re in a normal season. I care more about 2021, etc. than 2020 because Colorado is not a contender and we will likely only get a maximum of six games.

If we’re going to do what we did in game one in all games, we better be a 4+ win team. If we do what we did and only get 1-2 more wins (assuming 6 games), this season will be a disaster.

There is a time and place to give development time to younger players that can be meaningful. You don't pull your first string and put in your backups in a tight game on a critical drive. Nobody does that. The problem with previous staffs has been leaving the starters out there longer than they should have, or putting backups in and not letting them really run the playbook, or not giving a backup a shot when when the starter is obviously not being effective. That is why Clemson puts up scores like 60-3 against lesser talent, because they put the younger guys in and let them play.

I don't know your background or if you ever played ball, but if a coach really wants to lose his team, he starts not playing guys that have earned the right to play. I don't mean earned the right to play because they stuck around for 4 years (MM attitude), but because they flat out won the starting job whether they are a freshman or a 5th year senior. Try telling some kid that has busted his balls to earn the starting position that that he's great, he's worked hard, and has earned the position, but winning this year doesn't really matter and so he's not going to play and see how well that goes over.

Winning matters.

Recurring matters.

Right now HCKD is an unknown quantity to recruits. Some recruits will take it on faith that he can turn it around and they'll commit VERBALLY without a visit or before seeing on-field results. Others will need to see the needle moving in the right direction.

There are some recruits that will never consider CO, that's fine. For the the others they will need to see signs of life. They'll need to see wins, player development, the start of a winning culture, and fan support. If a recruit that was on the fence about CU sees wins and a coach that is developing players in a way that showcases their best qualities and produces wins we'll see increases in the quality of recruits.

If a guy like Jalen Sami continues to develop and mashed it to the NFL it's just that much easier to sell Jalen Sami 2.0 that CU is the place for him. Broussard probably identified with Phil Lindsay. Brenden Rice probably identified with Laviska Shenult.

That's how CU can build a solid foundation for recruiting. We can't follow the Alabama model. We need to follow the model of:

Get the most out of players with good/great coaching
Show production on the field
Win to create buzz and exposure to the program nationally
Get CU players in to the NFL
Sell kids on the idea that they'll be next

Once kids see consistently that players from CU are getting better and getting to the NFL other kids will want to be next.

That sells itself.

Me thinks manhattanbuf and others have positioned himself as anti-HCKD and doesn’t believe this staff has what it takes. Sucky place to be IMO, CU does well and you’re “wrong” driving one to have to search for evidence that supports your belief (ala this thread); CU struggles and you get to be “right” about a losing team.

Sit back and enjoy the ride, fellas.

Thinking this season is irrelevant is just ignorant. The PAC is planning on having the Championship game, the Playoffs for the NC is going forward. Some of our seniors are playing to show they can play in the NFL, thats why they came back, is to play. Just because this season is ****ed up with the multiple schedule changes, the lock downs, and no spring ball, does not make it irrelevant. We will have a PAC 12 Champion crowned at the end of the season.
I for one never said play the older guys (I have never wanted that) I have ALWAYS stated to play the best 11 each side of the ball.
The problem we have had for years is the best 11 didnt always play.
Our Starting line up was 6SR, 9JR, 6SO, 1FR.
You need to earn playing time, you do not earn it by being in the system the longest, you earn it by being better at your position than the next guy. Play the best 22, I dont care what year they are.

Me thinks manhattanbuf and others have positioned himself as anti-HCKD and doesn’t believe this staff has what it takes. Sucky place to be IMO, CU does well and you’re “wrong” driving one to have to search for evidence that supports your belief (ala this thread); CU struggles and you get to be “right” about a losing team.

Sit back and enjoy the ride, fellas.

I don't think it is establishing himself as anti-HCKD and I'll venture a guess he was pretty damn happy we won Saturday. @manhattanbuf has very real reasons to think this coaching staff doesn't have what it takes when it comes to recruiting. I might disagree with him whether we should be trying to win now or solely focusing on the future but if there aren't serious changes in the way this staff recruits just winning isn't going to do it.

The team is not lost if we play the entire team to find out who can play and who needs to go. I’m not even saying that younger players have to all play entire games if they are a “disaster”.

I see this season as an extension and replacement for the camps and long term practices that we missed. We will lose talented younger players to transfer because we will sacrifice their development since we care about winning in an irrelevant season.

What this all comes down to are your views about this season for CU. I don’t care if KD loses or wins this year. My expectations are low for wins and losses. What I care about is roster evaluation/management, player development for players who will return in 2021, etc., and having a real recruiting game plan based upon the needs we have on the field.

There are many here (me included) who WANT to win, but where we are divided is in whether or not we should behave like we’re in a normal season. I care more about 2021, etc. than 2020 because Colorado is not a contender and we will likely only get a maximum of six games.

If we’re going to do what we did in game one in all games, we better be a 4+ win team. If we do what we did and only get 1-2 more wins (assuming 6 games), this season will be a disaster.
I agree once it’s clear that it really is a lost season. Right now, the team won a game that most of us chalked up as a loss. The team deserves a chance to show they can keep it going.

The staff has already shown they’ll play young players (Gonzales) and back ups. They’ve made some good decisions so far with Noyer and Brou. I hope if things go sideways they listen to your advice but right now I’d like to see a win against the tree.

Can we actually talk about the game? I thought the OL looked amazing. I know UCLA gave up the ball a lot, but we still out rushed and outgained them.

The OL was incredible. Probably as dominant a performance as I’ve seen from a CU OL in 10 or more years.
The defense needs to plug some holes. Which is weird because I think the narrative going into the season was that our defense was going to have to win a few games for us.

This next game will tell us a lot, I think. Stanford plus a much different style than UCLA.

The OL was incredible. Probably as dominant a performance as I’ve seen from a CU OL in 10 or more years.
The defense needs to plug some holes. Which is weird because I think the narrative going into the season was that our defense was going to have to win a few games for us.

This next game will tell us a lot, I think. Stanford plus a much different style than UCLA.
Stanford was balanced vs Oregon. Moved ball with QB2.

I hope the PAC12N does the football in 60 this season...don't know why they wouldn't...I think that's the best thing about that whole network

Last year, our defense was atrocious through the first half of the season. Then migrated to "servicable" by the end of the year.

We are running basically the same scheme, I believe. We need servicable NOW and then good later in the year => in a season with (Maybe) half as many games.

Last edited:
Back