What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU vs. UCLA

It's not so much about where he goes, it's that his time here has run its course. he's had a ton of games to try and make it work here and it's not worked out. He's getting booed by his fellow students and not improving. Him keeping it together for the last year is impressive if you ask me.
There is no doubt that he seems like a quality kid. I was even impressed with the improvement of his interviews from last year to this year. He is growing up, no doubt. (I should note that this may be mitigated somewhat by his sideline conduct when he's not starting. A lot can be read into that, but it doesn't look great.)

All that said. I agree with the consensus that he is not a P5 QB... maybe even a G5 QB. It's really interesting just how different being a college QB is from being a high school QB, and again how different from college to professional.

There was a study done, I think, on that--finding that it was one of the most random personnel issues in all of employment: as I recall, they couldn't find any consistent factors that were useful in forecasting success from the college to pro level for QBs.

Last edited:
I won’t be too heartbroken if Lewis and/or Shrout leave after the season, but counting on a 175 pound freshman QB to last the season with zero experience behind him and the tough part of the schedule still ahead of us would be problematic.
If McCown shows just any bit of a pulse this week, it's likely his job until something crazy happens. I will also put this out there - the OL will probably play better in front of him. From experience, lineman tend to "watch over" a younger, smaller guy back there and will take it upon themselves to not get him broken. I also think the team may respond well to him. He's got a little of that Koy fire and brashness. I guarantee the team noticed that he didn't go out of bounds on his scrambles last week and fought for extra yards. Dumb, sure. But, at least he didn't slide a yard short.

As a betting man I'll lay it out there right now. Shrout stays. McCown stays depending on '22 PT and the potential new hire. Lewis and Carter are both gone. Kopp - no one cares.

Last edited:
I won’t be too heartbroken if Lewis and/or Shrout leave after the season, but counting on a 175 pound freshman QB to last the season with zero experience behind him and the tough part of the schedule still ahead of us would be problematic.
Um, excuse ME, sir.

There's a QB on the roster with actual game experience against P5 competition besides Shrout and Lewis

Ummm… I am comfortable with a smaller sizing up to 23.5. But, I am hearing we may see UCLA -19.5 to UCLA -20.5 just because 21 and 22 aren’t great numbers. I am waiting to see because I legitimately think the 22 is fairly sharp.
How can the books tell on this number? It seems hard to me. Do they know how bad CU really is? And how do they think about UCLA last week?

There was a study done, I think, on that--finding that it was one of the most random personnel issues in all of employment: as I recall, they couldn't find any consistent factors that were useful in forecasting success from the college to pro level for QBs.
They obviously didn't talk to skibum in their "study."

My predictions about college quarterbacks successfully moving up to the nfl are consistently right more than 50% of the time.

<insert first round draft pick qb name here> is going to be a bust at <insert city of team that drafted him here>.

I'd like to see Lewis take a stab at Coastal Carolina's offense
Episode 12 Omg GIF by ABC Network

That would be an absolute disaster.

How can the books tell on this number? It seems hard to me. Do they know how bad CU really is? And how do they think about UCLA last week?
Action has not shifted very much on this one. Went from 21.5 and 20.5 as openers to a little bit of 22 and now back down to 21.5. I think many bettors feel that UCLA will overlook Colorado given their following games. I also think the books have nailed that the UCLA offense can self destruct at times without much effort from the opposing defense.

Books definitely know how bad Colorado is, but I also feel like there’s a sentiment around the players feeling disrespected and being at home. I personally think the players are quitting earlier each game. Only thing that prevents the players from shutting down is early success. This is why probably UCLA covers most numbers.

But, as is always my maxim: I bet numbers first, teams second.

Shrout has already used his free transfer, so I am under the impression he would have to sit out a year and lose that year of eligibility. Is that not correct?

Lewis could certainly transfer, but he's almost literally the worst FBS QB over the past 15 games, so I just don't know where he's going to go.
Is it possible that Shrout and Lewis just haven’t been coached?? I kind of feel like we’re not seeing progression in any of the players. I could be wrong but it seems our current coaches like expect them to be college game day ready right out of high school (or transfer in Shrout’s case),. The coaching staff needs to help them advance and I don’t think we’re seeing that at all. They seem to stay at the same level at which they arrived. Not their fault as the coaching staff is supposed to assess whether they can play at this level before we recruit them. What could a different staff do with these QBs?

Last edited:
Is it possible that Shrout and Lewis just haven’t been coached?? I kind of feel like we’re not seeing progression in any of the players. I could be wrong but it seems our current coaches like expect them to be college game day ready right out of high school (or transfer in Shrout’s case),. The coaching staff needs to help them advance and I don’t think we’re seeing that at all. They seem to stay at the same level at which they arrived. Not their fault as the coaching staff is supposed to assess whether they can play at this level before we recruit them. What could a different staff do with these QBs?
I think most of the issues with Lewis stem from him listening too intently to his coaches.

Don't give up an interception, they said.

Don't abandon the pocket, they said.

Don't risk a downfield throw & check down if not wide open, they said.

Don't risk your body if you do run, they said.

He's a hard working, good young man who tried to do what was asked of him. Karl made him play tight, timid and ineffective.

P.S. The only reason Shrout got on the field is that he gained a bit of Karl's trust by cutting out the gunslinger stuff.

P.P.S. Hopefully McCown doesn't get ruined because he'll listen to his dad on how to play the position and flush what Karl tells him.

Action has not shifted very much on this one. Went from 21.5 and 20.5 as openers to a little bit of 22 and now back down to 21.5. I think many bettors feel that UCLA will overlook Colorado given their following games. I also think the books have nailed that the UCLA offense can self destruct at times without much effort from the opposing defense.

Books definitely know how bad Colorado is, but I also feel like there’s a sentiment around the players feeling disrespected and being at home. I personally think the players are quitting earlier each game. Only thing that prevents the players from shutting down is early success. This is why probably UCLA covers most numbers.

But, as is always my maxim: I bet numbers first, teams second.
Thanks for thoughts. Now we have unknown of frosh QB. Who knows? Stay away for me. I just have a morbid. curiosity.

McCown was hit hard on two occasions last week by third string defensive players. He makes good decisions and delivers the ball downfield quickly. I am concerned about him being tossed around by NFL sized d lineman in this game.

Back