What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Eric Bien(i)emy's next job speculation, shut out again

That depends on if a guy is in it to get a title before his name and a big check or if he wants to make a career out of being a head coach.

It would have been fun to see what he could have done as coach at CU but right now with what our administration is doing if he has any hopes of longevity and accomplishment as a head coach he is probably right to not touch this job with a 10 foot pole.

The CU job is a coach killer. Mel saw it and got out, GB who had been highly successful suddenly became average or below when the attitude changed, Hawkins for all his faults won big in Boise, sucked in Boulder, is back to winning big at UC Davis, MikeMac had been a winner. I'll grant that Dorrell was average or below at best.

Each of these coaches found out that CU is not a place were winning is likely.

EB has enough of a history that when (if) he gets an NFL head coaching job he is going to get one shot at it. Going to a place like CU and winning 4-5 games a season would completely end his hopes of being a winning coach in the NFL, or anywhere else.
So, your assumption is that he WILL get an NFL Coaching job

As much as I hate to say that your CU Coach Killer conclusion is correct, what would you say if the UCLA job came open?

My point was to take all this guaranteed money that they gave Dorrell and with that in your pocket, everything is gravy from there

College Football is over anyway

So, your assumption is that he WILL get an NFL Coaching job

As much as I hate to say that your CU Coach Killer conclusion is correct, what would you say if the UCLA job came open?

My point was to take all this guaranteed money that they gave Dorrell and with that in your pocket, everything is gravy from there

College Football is over anyway
The wild card is if he ever will get an NFL job but all indications are that is his dream and his goal.

The landscape of college football is completely changed, you are correct that college football as we have known it is a thing of the past.

If he doesn't get an NFL job he is a big enough name that he should be able to get a quality college job and UCLA might be a very good possibility. They have some donors who have in the past been willing to step up and do what it takes to at least be competitive. If I'm EB and get offered that job I take a close look at the administration to find out if they are willing to do what it takes to compete, I meet with some of the donors and find out the same.

I do the same for any other job offered that I might consider.

Dorrell doesn't care that he won't ever get another HC offer, this job is his retirement lottery ticket. EB as I said wants to win, want's to have a head coaching career. He is smart enough to know that his first HC job could very well be his last HC job. He needs to pick wisely.

The CU job wouldn't be picking wisely.

And it is a when, not if. Just can’t come fast enough
I hate to say it but granting that Dorrell is not the coach who would be the answer he is also not the problem.

At this point unless something changes significantly above the level of RG it isn't going to matter who the coach is.

This is why EB was smart not to take the job when it was open.

We can all get excited when KD is eventually fired but it won't be long until we are calling for the next guy to be fired, and the guy after him.

I hate to say it but granting that Dorrell is not the coach who would be the answer he is also not the problem.

At this point unless something changes significantly above the level of RG it isn't going to matter who the coach is.

We can all get excited when KD is eventually fired but it won't be long until we are calling for the next guy to be fired, and the guy after him.
If you don’t think hiring EB as HC would change the course of this program, you’re drunk. It’s all about recruiting more than ever and he has the cred to do that that in the new CFB era. Players want to connect with coaches who they believe can best prepare them for the league. An EB hire would get the fans and alumni back on board and with even a semi decent NLI bump we’d be back into bowl games fairly quickly i imagine. And right now, that would be enough for most of us.

Quite true. Unless there is a wholesale change from the Chancellor to the AD, the program will swirl and be at best mediocre. Trouble with KD is that he is not even capable of mediocre.

But you are right, this is a horrible job set up the way it is. Our last shot at a decent hire is gone until there are massive changes.

If you don’t think hiring EB as HC would change the course of this program, you’re drunk. It’s all about recruiting more than ever and he has the cred to do that that in the new CFB era. Players want to connect with coaches who they believe can best prepare them for the league. An EB hire would get the fans and alumni back on board and with even a semi decent NLI bump we’d be back into bowl games fairly quickly i imagine. And right now, that would be enough for most of us.
trainwreck GIF

It would be Herm Edwards Part Dos, at best.

EB can recruit his butt off. Doesn't do any good if the administration decides it wants to pretend we are an elite academic school and not let half of them in, if they don't cooperate with NIL competitiveness, if they aren't willing to allow some flexibility in student athlete academics, if they give him a budget that let's him build and keep a staff that can recruit, and all of the rest of the things that are mandatory to even be competitive in college football in the current situation.

He probably would give us a temporary boost but it would be more like a dead body bounce as we flop back down to the depths we have chosen to be in.

Quite true. Unless there is a wholesale change from the Chancellor to the AD, the program will swirl and be at best mediocre. Trouble with KD is that he is not even capable of mediocre.

But you are right, this is a horrible job set up the way it is. Our last shot at a decent hire is gone until there are massive changes.
This is why I don't get worked up over KD.

At least he's providing some stability, which we needed.

I’m starting to think CU should go the Savannah Banana’s route - be the program that is a ton of fun and a great afternoon for the family regardless of the outcome of the game. If we’re going to suck let’s at least be entertaining.

A change in HC might squeeze out an extra win here or there, but the rot starts at the top. Great recruiters need solid admin support in order to have recruiting success, that support is nonexistent at CU.

Its kind of a big deal, kind of isnt. EB is kind of a firey guy. Which isnt as important in the pros yet lends itself very well to the college game both in recruiting and game day motivation. And probably part of the reason he keeps getting passed over for NFLHC jobs.

Im reminded of the Chauncey Billups comments about having to endure Rick Petinos foray into the NBA that flopped pretty fast.

Its kind of a big deal, kind of isnt. EB is kind of a firey guy. Which isnt as important in the pros yet lends itself very well to the college game both in recruiting and game day motivation. And probably part of the reason he keeps getting passed over for NFLHC jobs.

Im reminded of the Chauncey Billups comments about having to endure Rick Petinos foray into the NBA that flopped pretty fast.
EB could get a Big12 head job in a minute
If Leipold leaves Kansas, EB could get that job easy

My opinion on EB is known and while I agree it doesn't look good when the coaches are publicly arguing with high profile players, I also do not think that the OC and the QB need to be buddies or get along for them to have a successful professional relationship.

My opinion on EB is known and while I agree it doesn't look good when the coaches are publicly arguing with high profile players, I also do not think that the OC and the QB need to be buddies or get along for them to have a successful professional relationship.
That’s fine but the discussion is about him as a HC, not OC

Back