What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Eric Bieniemy - OC Kansas City Chiefs (NFL)

4.5 Million a year would allow for two million dollar coordinators and an average of 312.5k for the other 8 assistants. Or 750k for each coordinator and 375k for each assistant. Seems pretty good, go win some games and make your money.

Which is why you try to alleviate some of those concerns when negotiating. We just got burned by trying to make him choose to stay.
You can try. But at the end of the day all you can do is put together a large buyout if the coach is willing - you've got to give something to get that, though. It's all going to come down to what other offers materialize and how good the coach sees his current situation at CU.

Hell, even if CU hired me as a completely unqualified candidate who would take a salary of under a million bucks a year and be damn grateful for it they still carry a ton of risk. Because if I was somehow successful I'd expect to be paid my new market value and be provided the competitive resources I saw at the programs I'm expected to beat. Thinking we're going to find a sensational coach who will happily stay at CU even if it's at lower pay and with competitive disadvantages simply because he loves the Buffs is chasing a damn unicorn.

You can try. But at the end of the day all you can do is put together a large buyout if the coach is willing - you've got to give something to get that, though. It's all going to come down to what other offers materialize and how good the coach sees his current situation at CU.

Hell, even if CU hired me as a completely unqualified candidate who would take a salary of under a million bucks a year and be damn grateful for it they still carry a ton of risk. Because if I was somehow successful I'd expect to be paid my new market value and be provided the competitive resources I saw at the programs I'm expected to beat. Thinking we're going to find a sensational coach who will happily stay at CU even if it's at lower pay and with competitive disadvantages simply because he loves the Buffs is chasing a damn unicorn.
Right. My reply to Manhattan that you replied to said that, if not clearly enough.

Good point. I will be off team George if he doesn't make a concerted effort to get our salary pool very, very competitive level...enough of "this is a destination job"...ugh...

He also said he loved playing for him. Had no issues with him as has been speculated by others.

Even if EB rubbed players the wrong way in the Embree years, he could have improved under Andy Reid in that regard also. Reid gets a lot of credit for his innovative offense but he's also one of the most reveered players' coaches of all time

EB will use the Chiefs concepts, which may be high level, but are also based on coordinated motion and misdirection. Reid actually brought college football to the pros to help be more successful. This was posted on nfl.com a year ago

With Andy Reid (and offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy) adept at crafting creative plays pulled straight from collegiate playbooks, the Chiefs stress opposing defenses with their collective speed, quickness, and scheme deception.

The Chiefs featured a variety of misdirection plays, including the fly sweep, to keep defenders on their heels. The misdirection and deception are tantalizing eye candy to defenders, which leads to hesitation and uncertainty at the point of attack. Considering the speed and explosiveness of Hill and Watkins on vertical routes, any momentary pause can result in the ball flying over the head of defenders in the back end.

But there's so much more to K.C.'s offense than a "bombs away" approach with a second-year signal-caller at the helm. The team has added more quick-rhythm concepts to the game plan, with an assortment of bubble/jailbreak screens designed to immediately get the ball into the hands of Hill and Watkins on the outside. Both burners can turn these line-of-scrimmage passes into explosive gains with their quickness and dynamic open-field skills. Kelce is also a weapon on these concepts, as a big-bodied playmaker with A-plus athleticism and speed.

New Playbook with great concepts

Mahomes on Bieniemy

“He’d be an awesome head coach,” Mahomes told reporters. “He has that mindset, work ethic and determination you need to be a head coach in this league and I know he’s had the interest, but you know he will still be 100 percent in on what we are doing here. He would be an amazing coach and I am excited I still have him here right now for this playoff run.”
Thanks. I have definitely warmed up to hiring EB as the HC.

EB will use the Chiefs concepts, which may be high level, but are also based on coordinated motion and misdirection. Reid actually brought college football to the pros to help be more successful. This was posted on nfl.com a year ago

With Andy Reid (and offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy) adept at crafting creative plays pulled straight from collegiate playbooks, the Chiefs stress opposing defenses with their collective speed, quickness, and scheme deception.

The Chiefs featured a variety of misdirection plays, including the fly sweep, to keep defenders on their heels. The misdirection and deception are tantalizing eye candy to defenders, which leads to hesitation and uncertainty at the point of attack. Considering the speed and explosiveness of Hill and Watkins on vertical routes, any momentary pause can result in the ball flying over the head of defenders in the back end.

But there's so much more to K.C.'s offense than a "bombs away" approach with a second-year signal-caller at the helm. The team has added more quick-rhythm concepts to the game plan, with an assortment of bubble/jailbreak screens designed to immediately get the ball into the hands of Hill and Watkins on the outside. Both burners can turn these line-of-scrimmage passes into explosive gains with their quickness and dynamic open-field skills. Kelce is also a weapon on these concepts, as a big-bodied playmaker with A-plus athleticism and speed.

New Playbook with great concepts

I agree. I think the trend has been that the NFL has adopted college concepts.

So I believe we were at 3.3 million for assistants in 2018 and that dropped to 3.1 million in 2019. What do we think is the amount EB is looking for to get the right staff in here? I would think around $4 is doable with the money from Tucker if we don't have a ton of buyouts from the current assistants. Then hopefully we can increase that about 100K a year like we were doing with Mac.
I can cover the $4 for the first year, who's with me on the second?

So I believe we were at 3.3 million for assistants in 2018 and that dropped to 3.1 million in 2019. What do we think is the amount EB is looking for to get the right staff in here? I would think around $4 is doable with the money from Tucker if we don't have a ton of buyouts from the current assistants. Then hopefully we can increase that about 100K a year like we were doing with Mac.
What a difference a day makes? Yesterday you argued with me:
4. There aren't many coaching jobs open across the country right now so the liklihood of current assistants finding work somewhere else to avoid buyouts is small.
5. CU doesn't have a lot of money and has issues attracting assistant coaches so poaching is also very unlikely.

I suggested making up the "assistant pool buyouts" was not hard with some one-time donor contributions.

Here we go again just making up donations that will increase our salary pool when that hasn’t happened.

...We also don’t pay as much as anyone out west, we had the lowest in the pac this year and that is low compared to every other conference outside the ACc

When JE and EB came here before they inherited a team that Nick Saban would have had trouble winning the MWC with, we weren't just bad we stunk both in terms of talent and the attitude of the team. Throw in a bunch of young, inexperienced coaches and you have a recipe for disaster.

I still worry about EB controlling his emotions and not letting the pressure get to him but as others have noted he has gained a lot of experience since then.

Recruiting will be tough because he hasn't been. He will have to rebuild all those recruiting relationships and do it in a hurry. The positive is that he is known to be a tireless worker when he gets his sights on something and he has a personality that is impossible to ignore or forget, he will get noticed and known.

assume, for a minute, that eb is actually interested in coming back here as hc.

if that is true, then there are some distinguishing factors between now and his oc stint here.

1. the time w/ andy reid and EBs profile nationally indicate experience and improvement. recruits are generally going to know who he is and want to play in that offense.
2. if he brings the fire and an andy reid influenced coaching structure to the staff, then i don't worry so much about his x's and o's in any case.
3. there is way more money to hire good coordinators and more money to build out the coaching and support staffs even more than we started under tucker. it is a much different situation than last time.
4. facilities are done.
5. a base of talent is here.
6. RG is not a bohner.

i think the odds are somewhat long, given the unlimited resources that the NFL can spend. but, if i have to pick one guy on the list of names who have been associated with the job, it is EB. hands-down.

it is probably a pipe dream, but i've talked myself into why it would be different this time.

Sounds to me like it's EB job to lose. Of course the million dollar question is, will CU provide EB with the necessary resources in order to be successful.

If it’s his to lose, isn’t the million dollar question: Does he actually want the job, or would he prefer to stay with Mahomes, probably win another SB, and then become an NFL head coach in 21?

If it’s his to lose, isn’t the million dollar question: Does he actually want the job, or would he prefer to stay with Mahomes, probably win another SB, and then become an NFL head coach in 21?
As @GoBuffs7 indicated, his desire will be greatly influenced by the school’s financial commitment to getting really good ACs and players into the school. No buy-in from CU = keep driving the Ferrari in KC.

As @GoBuffs7 indicated, his desire will be greatly influenced by the school’s financial commitment to getting really good ACs and players into the school. No buy-in from CU = keep driving the Ferrari in KC.

Well there aren’t a ton of people available, so I’m not sure how much the financial package for ACs will impact things in year one.

Midnight Mel struck out trying to lure his first coach from Kentucky, for instance. Money doesn’t solve everything.

I was thinking more along the line of with Mahomes at QB, he’s pretty much guaranteed to be successful. Even with a huge financial commitment (which realistically probably isn’t coming) there is no guarantee of success here.

Well there aren’t a ton of people available, so I’m not sure how much the financial package for ACs will impact things in year one.

Midnight Mel struck out trying to lure his first coach from Kentucky, for instance. Money doesn’t solve everything.

I was thinking more along the line of with Mahomes at QB, he’s pretty much guaranteed to be successful. Even with a huge financial commitment (which realistically probably isn’t coming) there is no guarantee of success here.
There are many NFL guys who may get a look from EB too. They’re going to be in the carousel too.

Who knows? Could be he's tired of hearing the same ol' **** some post on this site. "Doesn't call plays." "Reid is the real OC." etc. Could be he thinks he's ready to be head man and build a championship team and he doesn't think the NFL will give him a fair shot.

Who knows? Could be he's tired of hearing the same ol' **** some post on this site. "Doesn't call plays." "Reid is the real OC." etc. Could be he thinks he's ready to be head man and build a championship team and he doesn't think the NFL will give him a fair shot.
Hard to see his NFL stock ever being higher than it is now, maybe he sees this as his best chance at getting a HC job without waiting on Reid to retire.

Sure, he can get a HC job in the NFL, but that's probably even more precarious than any CFB head coaching job.

Old data, but I'll bet it isn't any better:
1*C0wo6yJeH2ZksXSYP-YsVg.png

Just about 3 years of tenure.

Compared to NCAA D1 football, which is almost double in terms of tenure (technically 6 years, but the data was skewed by a handful of really entrenched coaches, so it's more like 5 years).

SHELFLIFE_crop_exact.jpg

A huge difference between now and JE/EB experience is that EB has the maturity to know what to ask, what to demand, and the ability to say no if he doesn't get it.

That first time around he and JE were young guys coming up the lower to mid ranks of the coaching process suddenly offered what both admitted was their dream job.

EB has never lacked for intelligence but he did lack experience and control over his emotions. Maturity seems to have brought him both of those.

I would hope that if he is the choice of RG that RG and LC are willing and able to listen to him and provide him with what he needs to be successful. Considering where he is coming from now the things he ask for are going to be the things that any coach is going to need to be successful here.

Back