What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

dick in a box surprise GIF by Saturday Night Live

season 7 GIF

The coach can't force players to stay. He can only control what he can control. Obviously USC and Oregon tapped up the players and offered them financianl incentives to transfer. CU shouldn't and will not do that.
Some situations are out of your control when you run an organization or department or group. But it doesn't all come down to luck. Leadership has a ton of influence on who chooses to leave or enter your organization. I can give a pass on some attrition situations. I can even sympathize since I deal with employee retention and recruitment issues constantly. But I'd never entertain the idea that I don't have a ton of influence and control over the situation and it would be unthinkable to not take any personal responsibility. Ultimately, KD is responsible and accountable.

fwiw, I'm not attacking you here, but trying to give you perspective from a manager/ business head. Others here will be able to credibly tell you the same.

Some situations are out of your control when you run an organization or department or group. But it doesn't all come down to luck. Leadership has a ton of influence on who chooses to leave or enter your organization. I can give a pass on some attrition situations. I can even sympathize since I deal with employee retention and recruitment issues constantly. But I'd never entertain the idea that I don't have a ton of influence and control over the situation and it would be unthinkable to not take any personal responsibility. Ultimately, KD is responsible and accountable.

fwiw, I'm not attacking you here, but trying to give you perspective from a manager/ business head. Others here will be able to credibly tell you the same.
This. There's "good" atrition when you lose deadweight that you can easily replace without having to actually fire them.

There's understandable atrition when you lose good people because other places can give them better opportunities than you can at the moment.

There's bad atrition when you lose talented people even though you think you're providing them with good opportunities. These should always make you rethink.

And then there's mass defections.

Those.

Are.

Always.

Bad.

Always.

As I've said, NIL is overblown. It's mostly not about that. I believe that the ease of transfer (no sitting out a year) is having a much bigger impact in general & that what CU is seeing has a lot to do with the type of personality that meshed with MT is a very different profile than who's going to respond to KD.

P.S. Those shifts with coach types can be a major challenge (Mac --> Neu, GB --> Hawk) and are especially hard when the former coach & his culture had a lot of loyalty/buy-in from players.

As I've said, NIL is overblown. It's mostly not about that. I believe that the ease of transfer (no sitting out a year) is having a much bigger impact in general & that what CU is seeing has a lot to do with the type of personality that meshed with MT is a very different profile than who's going to respond to KD.

P.S. Those shifts with coach types can be a major challenge (Mac --> Neu, GB --> Hawk) and are especially hard when the former coach & his culture had a lot of loyalty/buy-in from players.
Yep. I think we would have seen a mass exodus in 2020 if it weren't for COVID. MT and KD personalities are simply oil and water.

I think in a lot of ways, the lack of integrity of the coaching contracts led to the new transfer problem. Because the coaches can get fired, or move on to a better job for more money at the drop of a hat(which was much more problematic), than why can’t the players do the same? That was at least part of the rationale for making the transfer rules change.

But instead of fixing the original problem with the coaches, the NCAA just created the same problem with the players. It’s just asinine. You can’t run an organization let alone an entire minor sports league like this. It’s such a damn mess.

I think I figured out something that I couldn't quite put my finger on earlier.

KD has essentially said that his plan for winning is to keep games close until the 4th quarter and then try and pull out the win.

It's why he didn't go for it on 4th in the third.

But what I finally realized is that I don't want a coach whose only plan for winning is to keep it close until the end. That coach's ceiling with a team they build is 6 or 7 wins, and 3 and 4 win seasons will be common.

MacIntyre was somewhat similar in that his plan for winning would mostly result in losing seasons, but building up to a senior heavy and experienced team could produce 9 or 10 win seasons once every 4 to 6 years.

**** both of those "plans."

I want a coach whose plan for winning is to build a team that will curb stomp most opponents. That's how you do it.

KD has no idea how to do that.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure MT did.

I think I figured out something that I couldn't quite put my finger on earlier.

KD has essentially said that his plan for winning is to keep games close until the 4th quarter and then try and pull out the win.

It's why he didn't go for it on 4th in the third.

But what I finally realized is that I don't want a coach whose only plan for winning is to keep it close until the end. That coach's ceiling with a team they build is 6 or 7 wins, and 3 and 4 win seasons will be common.

MacIntyre was somewhat similar in that his plan for winning would mostly result in losing seasons, but building up to a senior heavy and experienced team could produce 9 or 10 win seasons once every 4 to 6 years.

**** both of those "plans."

I want a coach whose plan for winning is to build a team that will curb stomp most opponents. That's how you do it.

KD has no idea how to do that.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure MT did.
Please be safe

Back