What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

End of the school year almost assuredly means RG and KD remain in place until after the 2023 season, in that case. Can’t imagine Phil oversees big changes like that on his way out.
You say that as if you don't think things are going to get worse.

We're playing a good Mountain West opponent on the road next week. This already feels like it'll look similar to 2012 Fresno.

You say that as if you don't think things are going to get worse.

We're playing a good Mountain West opponent on the road next week. This already feels like it'll look similar to 2012 Fresno.
I’m saying that like I don’t think a Chancellor on his way out in May is going to direct and oversee a change in AD and Football staff in December/January to the tune of $10-$15m in total dead money buyouts and then go through the hiring process for both.

Or, maybe it’ll be his parting gift for football fans

I’m saying that like I don’t think a Chancellor on his way out in May is going to direct and oversee a change in AD and Football staff in December/January to the tune of $10-$15m in total dead money buyouts and then go through the hiring process for both.

Or, maybe it’ll be his parting gift for football fans
I get that. I just think if this gets bad enough, there isn't going to be a choice.

I guarantee he will start
Freddie Mercury Mind Blown GIF by Queen

I hope you’re right. A clean sweep where the new Chancellor gets to make the decisions on new AD/HC seems more likely, but if the season goes that poorly I hope you’re right
Air Force embarrassing us might be the best thing that could happen to this program right now.

Last edited:
I guess Keeler has an article noting the gulf between where KD thinks this team is and where they actually are.

This has real merit.

Can he evaluate talent? Is he lulled to sleep in practice?

it’s a real fault.
He might actually be lulled to sleep in practice. I half expected him to go all Vance Joseph after the game the other night.

I guess Keeler has an article noting the gulf between where KD thinks this team is and where they actually are.

This has real merit.

Can he evaluate talent? Is he lulled to sleep in practice?

it’s a real fault.
Mentioned in the game thread that it feels like he is experiencing these games through a lens of how he thinks it should be, rather than how it is. His comments make it seem like he’s watching an entirely different game than what is going on in front of him. It is a massive problem

Karl Dorrell is not a good college football coach. If you look over his resume, it’s pretty bad. He was so terrible at his last stop as Vanderbilt OC, he got shown the door after one season. The three bowl seasons at UCLA were basically just over .500 seasons, where he inherited a lot of talent and got some easy wins to reach those .500 records. My suspicion is that Dorrell was fired by his buddy Neuheisel as OC at Washington because he left for a demotion as a position coach in the NFL.

Of course, none of this is new. Everyone thinks Dorrell is not a good college football coach. You know it, I know it, the media knows it, the opposing fans know it, and I greatly suspect that our players know it, which is why they mailed it in after one half of football on Friday.

If the new president has any common sense he is doing a lot of work right now at a total tear down and rebuild of the Phil, RG and KD leadership model. Has to be working the phones with major boosters too.
It has to be linear, and from the top down. Start with Phil, make sure whoever replaces him has a vision and a plan for achieving success and excellence at the CU-Boulder campus. What we don’t need is another caretaker type. Once that person is in place, move on to AD and make sure he and the new chancellor are on the same page. If RG has truly been handicapped by Phil, and can execute a plan to turn things around, I believe he’s earned the right to be given a chance to do that. Then let the AD make the choice on HC. This isn’t the order we all would like to see, as the on-field results scream for a change at HC, but without the two positions above him being set and on the same page, the HC here will struggle regardless.

It has to be linear, and from the top down. Start with Phil, make sure whoever replaces him has a vision and a plan for achieving success and excellence at the CU-Boulder campus. What we don’t need is another caretaker type. Once that person is in place, move on to AD and make sure he and the new chancellor are on the same page. If RG has truly been handicapped by Phil, and can execute a plan to turn things around, I believe he’s earned the right to be given a chance to do that. Then let the AD make the choice on HC. This isn’t the order we all would like to see, as the on-field results scream for a change at HC, but without the two positions above him being set and on the same page, the HC here will struggle regardless.
I agree with your idea but it has to be broader than that - There has to be a mind set throughout the University and the community that Athletic excellence is important and things are going to be done to help ensure it. I think RG is a good AD and he showed that with the Mel Tucker hire. I also know he feels his hands are tied when the University did not follow through on promises made to Mel Tucker.

I have become convinced over the last 20 years that CU athletics are doomed because of an overall apathy on the part of the community and university. You don't achieve excellence unless you demand and expect it.

I agree with your idea but it has to be broader than that - There has to be a mind set throughout the University and the community that Athletic excellence is important and things are going to be done to help ensure it. I think RG is a good AD and he showed that with the Mel Tucker hire. I also know he feels his hands are tied when the University did not follow through on promises made to Mel Tucker.

I have become convinced over the last 20 years that CU athletics are doomed because of an overall apathy on the part of the community and university. You don't achieve excellence unless you demand and expect it.
I think pretty much everyone agrees with you on this. It’s a top down / broader issue than just the AD or head coaches. Media like The Athletic have essentially called out CU asking whether it wants to be in big time athletics or not. The one foot in, one foot out scenario simply doesn’t work. If CU wants out, fine. But stop wasting all of our time if that’s the case.

I mean remember when LSU fired Les Miles? The school itself was in major financial trouble and even the state itself IIRC, and they had to pay some massive buyout to Miles, and then spend huge to get in a SEC level coach and staff. They gave no ****s, they knew where their bread was buttered. And they gave no ****s again a few years later when they fired EdO and hired Brian Kelly. CU just doesn't give a ****, they want to nickel and dime the football team as much as possible. The gulf between a LSU and a CU is gargantuan

I mean remember when LSU fired Les Miles? The school itself was in major financial trouble and even the state itself IIRC, and they had to pay some massive buyout to Miles, and then spend huge to get in a SEC level coach and staff. They gave no ****s, they knew where their bread was buttered. And they gave no ****s again a few years later when they fired EdO and hired Brian Kelly. CU just doesn't give a ****, they want to nickel and dime the football team as much as possible. The gulf between a LSU and a CU is gargantuan
Yeah, CU doesn’t want to have paint chips in the books and lazy rivers flowing through campus…

I think RG did an admiral job finding MT and signing him. When he took of so quickly, it's as if RG swung and missed in the 2nd inning, took his glove and went home. He has definitely checked out. If he had the drive before, but is fine with the current state of disaster, it would suggest PD placed limitations around future football HC hires. Either the funding comes from donors or PD leaves for the program to move forward. It's a critical time with new TV deals in the works for conferences and the PAC floating away into obscurity

Last edited:
Back