What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game Thread: South Dakota State at Colorado (Fri December 15, 6:00 PM MT, P12N)

MW4 is the most dynamic freshman we've had since Chauncey ... and he's already in our top 10 all-around players in that time span, IMO. Kid does it all. Insanely lucky to get him.

Dynamic - Burks? All around point - Mayor? MW4 is great, but....think you may have forgotten about those two when making this statement. Although, I understand if you think MW4 is a better frosh than Spencer.

That was as good as it gets when watching a basketball game. Almost no turnovers by either team the 2nd half through 2 OTs. Great shooting and so many clutch plays made by both teams. We won't see a better basketball game all year.

This team is starting to grow up a bit. Love this group of underclassmen. (I don't just say "freshmen" because Siewert was a ****ing monster with his post offense tonight -- where did that come from?!?!?!)

The dumbest mother****er I've ever heard call a game. I have no idea who it was and I pray he never calls another game again.

Yeah ... when I asked that question early in the game, I was merely curious. But about halfway through the 2nd half I came to that same conclusion.

What happened to Walton? Sat after playing 8 minutes with no fouls? He was jumping around, cheering his team on from the bench. I am guessing. if was hurt, its not too serious.

Also, that was one of the most poorly officiated games I can remember watching at the Keg. Nothing will ever top the ASU game, but this was a horrible crew.
THIS. Just got back. The officiating was astoundingly bad. And it was like they knew it and just wanted to be a$$holes anyway.

Dynamic - Burks? All around point - Mayor? MW4 is great, but....think you may have forgotten about those two when making this statement. Although, I understand if you think MW4 is a better frosh than Spencer.

I absolutely remember those guys well. Mayor was good as a freshman, and you could see he was going to be great ... but MK4 at this stage is a more dynamic playmaker, penetrator, rebounder (despite being much shorter) and most importantly, a leader. He acts like a senior out there. You can certainly make an argument for Burks, but he was more of a pure scorer. Wright has a slightly better all-around game at this point than Burks at the same point his freshman year.

Was at the game, my gut reactions:

• The Buffs played with pride and passion which got them over the six point deficit in the first OT and then they were able to get a few stops in the second OT and then got the rebounds.

• CU really struggled to play defense and get stops. In the second half when they had a five to seven point lead I kept thinking if they jsut got a few stops they could pull away. But every time the Jackrabbits would score to keep in contact. If the Buffs keep playing defense like they did tonight they aren't going to win many more games this season.

I know everyone has stated this, but McWright is absolutely amazing. He plays taller than his listed 6'0'', much taller. And he plays in control, finding just enough space to get off a good shot.

Nikolic spent a lot of time guarding Daum, and spent a lot of energy doing so. I was impressed with his effort.

Bey came alive offensively in OT and hit numerous key shots as well as grabbing rebounds. He looked confident and comfortable in his role.

A very exciting game which the Buffs should be proud to have won.

That was a hell of a game. Really nice win for the buffs. I’d like to place a bet on South Dakota State right now in their inevitable 4-13 matchup in the first round game come march.
Great teamwork, great spirit from the Buffs. Not sure ‘almost beating the Buffs’ gives me an expectation that SDS could make waves in the NCAA. However, our win does increase my hopes vs Iowa, whom SDS beat on their own court.

Not much I can add that hasn't already been said, but I have to repeat the **** those refs comments.

That game should have been over after regulation. I don't remember who it was they called the foul on that put Daum on the line, but dude was straight up and down and didn't move into Daum at all. Bull**** call from a ref who was looking to blow the whistle. Then, coming down the other way, guy completely hits MW4 on the arm on his attempt at a buzzer beater - nothing.

Those were obviously not the only two, but could have been killer, especially when it looked so grim in the first OT.

Props to the team for shaking it off. This team is growing up on the fly, and it's getting fun to watch. They're going to have struggles, and missing both Battey and Miller is killing us, but I'll live with fun to watch and great effort, and hope we make more noise than I expect.

I don't remember who it was they called the foul on that put Daum on the line, but dude was straight up and down and didn't move into Daum at all.
Nikolic. He worked hard at defending Daum and much of the time he was in there he was the tallest Buff on the court. He had a heck of a put back/dunk on a miss from McWright (I think it was he who missed.) When he gets some more strength in his upper body he'll develop into a solid player on both ends.

That SDSU #24 Daum scored 31 in a loss at Wichita State...he's a legit NBA forward prospect.

And if people thought attendence was bad tonight, The Last Jedi opened in theaters tonight as well.

Wasn't sure if it was Nikolic or Bey.

As it was, that was good defense by Nikolic and a bad call by a ref with an itchy whistle.

Great teamwork, great spirit from the Buffs. Not sure ‘almost beating the Buffs’ gives me an expectation that SDS could make waves in the NCAA. However, our win does increase my hopes vs Iowa, whom SDS beat on their own court.

I live in Iowa. Iowa is having a "disappointing" season so far. Point guard quit just before season started. Hawks had planned to redshirt coach's son, who is a point guard. Then he got mono and was hospitalized a few days. Kid can barely practice and they have not decided if they will go ahead and redshirt him or not. He is not in game shape or anywhere close to it according to head coach. The way they have been losing, sports writers think McCaffrey should sit this season as originally planned.

What happened to Walton? Sat after playing 8 minutes with no fouls? He was jumping around, cheering his team on from the bench. I am guessing. if was hurt, its not too serious.

Per BDC, http://www.buffzone.com/buffzonetop...-eruption-between-cu-buffs-south-dakota-state
"Despite making a solid contribution in eight minutes during the first half, redshirt freshman Dallas Walton didn't play after halftime Friday night. The 7-foot freshman briefly returned to the CU locker room during the first half, but afterward Boyle said putting Walton on the bench was a matchup issue, not an injury issue.
"It just was tough because they had four shooters, usually. It was just a tough matchup night for Dallas," Boyle said. "That's the only reason he didn't play more, not because he got hurt or did anything wrong. There's going to be certain nights Dallas is going to match up well with our opponents, and there's going to be certain nights he doesn't. Tonight he didn't." Walton went 2-for-2 with four points and three rebounds."

OK, this makes zero sense, Dallas was perfect from the field and was pacing for a 16 Pts.,and 12 rebs for the game, yet he was sat due to match-up issues? Someone, who knows basketball, explain that one. Not like anybody else was stopping Daum. Also seemed they could have used a rim protector - just maybe Dallas could have blocked/deterred all of those little baby jackrabbits from driving to the basket for uncontested layups

Don't mean to nitpick a great game. I get Dallas is a work in progress still The front court guys (Bey, Siewert and Lazar) who got the minutes are certainly way more polished than Walton and earned their minutes.

Per BDC, http://www.buffzone.com/buffzonetop...-eruption-between-cu-buffs-south-dakota-state
"Despite making a solid contribution in eight minutes during the first half, redshirt freshman Dallas Walton didn't play after halftime Friday night. The 7-foot freshman briefly returned to the CU locker room during the first half, but afterward Boyle said putting Walton on the bench was a matchup issue, not an injury issue.
"It just was tough because they had four shooters, usually. It was just a tough matchup night for Dallas," Boyle said. "That's the only reason he didn't play more, not because he got hurt or did anything wrong. There's going to be certain nights Dallas is going to match up well with our opponents, and there's going to be certain nights he doesn't. Tonight he didn't." Walton went 2-for-2 with four points and three rebounds."

OK, this makes zero sense, Dallas was perfect from the field and was pacing for a 16 Pts.,and 12 rebs for the game, yet he was sat due to match-up issues? Someone, who knows basketball, explain that one. Not like anybody else was stopping Daum. Also seemed they could have used a rim protector - just maybe Dallas could have blocked/deterred all of those little baby jackrabbits from driving to the basket for uncontested layups

Don't mean to nitpick a great game. I get Dallas is a work in progress still The front court guys (Bey, Siewert and Lazar) who got the minutes are certainly way more polished than Walton and earned their minutes.
Agree; if they have 4 shooters why not use Walton to create match-up problems on the other end? Walton has looked solid in the minutes I have seen from him, certainly better than I expected, yet Boyle continues to preach that he’s not playing much because of match-up problems. Turn the tide coach and quit being so damn passive and playing to not lose.

Agree; if they have 4 shooters why not use Walton to create match-up problems on the other end? Walton has looked solid in the minutes I have seen from him, certainly better than I expected, yet Boyle continues to preach that he’s not playing much because of match-up problems. Turn the tide coach and quit being so damn passive and playing to not lose.
Walton's not great with his post offense yet, though. Siewert was dominating on the inside.

there was a foul near the end of regulation where Brown was called for a blocking foul during a three point attempt.

The angle from behind showed Deleon going straight past the shooter with no contact, until Daum shoved him in the back. The most ridiculous foul call I have ever seen.

there was a foul near the end of regulation where Brown was called for a blocking foul during a three point attempt.

The angle from behind showed Deleon going straight past the shooter with no contact, until Daum shoved him in the back. The most ridiculous foul call I have ever seen.
How about the foul call against CU on the SDSU 3pt attempt out of the timeout? Their screener (Daum) actually pushed our defender into the shooter. That shooter started diving to the ground before he was even touched. Looked like a set play to get 3 FTs by SDSU and the refs fell for it.

How about the foul call against CU on the SDSU 3pt attempt out of the timeout? Their screener (Daum) actually pushed our defender into the shooter. That shooter started diving to the ground before he was even touched. Looked like a set play to get 3 FTs by SDSU and the refs fell for it.
Think that is exactly the play I am talking about.

Back