What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game Thread: South Dakota State at Colorado (Fri December 15, 6:00 PM MT, P12N)

Buffs had a lot of reasons to lose this thing tonight but they stuck with it and got the win. Should have had it in regulation but they did what they had to do to get a win.

No question in my mind that last years team loses this game by 15.

This team will lose some it shouldn't and win a few they shouldn't but they are going to be fun. Lot more enjoyable to watch when you see a team playing to win as a team.

Great win. But last years team beat Xavier
This team has parts and pieces and growing together. With all this positive what will it take for crowds to return?

Last years team had talent but they didn't handle pressure well. Keep the heat on them and they tended to fold like a napkin.

This SDSU team had a couple of very good players and a bunch of solid supporting mid-major guys. What they have though is a very well coached team that doesn't get out of their game.

Last years Buffs would have had one of their notorious cold spells and SDSU would have kept on playing their offense and scoring. We would have seen one of those double digit swings, the Buffs would have gotten frustrated and either thrown up some garbage on offense or more likely lost their focus on defense and the Jackrabbits would have run away with it.

Xavier took lead and didn't fold
So did Oregon

Great win. But last years team beat Xavier
This team has parts and pieces and growing together. With all this positive what will it take for crowds to return?
1st let me point out that last night was the last day of classes, and the start of finals prep. That always puts a dent in student attendance.

To get that gym full again, you need to start incentivizing or bribing the students to return. They are the key to any atmosphere in that gym. Once that happens, the rest of the stands will fill in

I absolutely remember those guys well. Mayor was good as a freshman, and you could see he was going to be great ... but MK4 at this stage is a more dynamic playmaker, penetrator, rebounder (despite being much shorter) and most importantly, a leader. He acts like a senior out there. You can certainly make an argument for Burks, but he was more of a pure scorer. Wright has a slightly better all-around game at this point than Burks at the same point his freshman year.

Fair. I interpreted the word dynamic as more as the athlete or general playmaking. MW4 is a great athlete, but Burks clearly takes it in my mind. I may have more of a favorable memory of Spencer's frost year than reality was, so fair.

If that was a factor, I'm losing all hppe in CU fans.

I have no idea how old you are, but if you went to CU games in the early to mid 00's.... ...you'd still have hope. I haven't been to a CU game in a bit, but last handful of times...I've been amazed at the transformation. It's the ONLY thing I give kudos to Bohn for.

Then the late night games
How do other teams get fans?

Those teams typically have a more established basketball culture. Not every college town is connected to an exploding metro area either. Hell 3 years ago, I could get off work and make it up to Boulder just in time for a 6:30 tip. The way Denver is now, no way.

Last night's game reminded me of watching the old ABA . . . lots of scoring and drama with multiple players on each team hitting key shots at critical moments.

As for the crowds, I doubt anything other than a top 20 caliber team with a realistic shot at the NCAA tourney will do it.

I mentioned earlier that I believe the until the defense is significantly better they won't win many ore games this season. Last night the Jackrabbits hit about 44% of their trey attempts, a total of 13. Tad was going nuts at times when an open trey was made.

Daum rightfully got a lot of pregame attention, but freshman David Jenkins had a terrific game as well and he was one major thorn in the Buffs side. He hit 7 of 12 from three point land.

With what should of been a top officiating crew, (Final Four class)they dropped the ball. All three of them blew critical calls/non-calls. The foul on Wright's last second shot in regulation, CLEARLY was a foul, and evidenced by his shot not even hitting the rim. Boyle deservedly had the right to protest, even though it was the end of the game, in hopes of a make up call. But never came we got several more phantom calls, one on Jenkins the hot 3 pt shooter by Brown, and they CLEARLY were protecting Baum. The Buffs truly had to earn this victory in spite of these critical calls/non-calls.

Was going to bring up the youngest but got out of work late and no way to get there on time. 6 PM just is hard if you live in Denver let alone South Metro like I do.
yeah. IIRC, Friday night December games have been well attended over the last four years while I've been following CU. I think last night would've been much better attended with a 7PM or 8PM tip.

Walton's not great with his post offense yet, though. Siewert was dominating on the inside.
Walton needs some toughness: Seiwert, Nikolic and Bey all showed they have it. Loved seeing those guys go at it last night.

Im getting tired of the foul calls on jumpers period, its getting comical. Only part I agree with is the shooter does deserve the landing spot after the shot. That said, sticking their leg out to draw contact should be on the offense. Another thing that pisses me off is shooters falling after shooting a 3 when nobody touches them and they get a call. Bull**** like this makes it too easy to score points.

I believe Jackrabbitts are top 5 or 10 in 3pt attempted and in made, so them shooting 44% was about expected.....but many teams have done that well against buffs so they do need to improve that D overall.

Although the crowd was small, I felt like there was good energy in the house. Down the stretch I was surprised how loud the building got with such a small crowd.

Sure sounded that way on TV late in regulation and during the 2 OTs.

With what should of been a top officiating crew, (Final Four class)they dropped the ball. All three of them blew critical calls/non-calls. The foul on Wright's last second shot in regulation, CLEARLY was a foul, and evidenced by his shot not even hitting the rim. Boyle deservedly had the right to protest, even though it was the end of the game, in hopes of a make up call. But never came we got several more phantom calls, one on Jenkins the hot 3 pt shooter by Brown, and they CLEARLY were protecting Baum. The Buffs truly had to earn this victory in spite of these critical calls/non-calls.
I watched on TV. The reason it didn't hit the rim was that it was blocked.

When Tad says we have a match up problem, he always means we don't match up on defense.
Exactly, which means we should have a favorable match-up on the other end. If they have 4 shooters, we can go big with Walton and seiwart and take the game to them rather than playing to not lose.

Last night was a terrible matchup for Dallas. I’ve been pleased with him so far, but it’s a terrible idea to try to run your offense through him just because he’s bigger than the other team. And scoring was not an issue last night. We struggled to get stops (largely because SDSU is pretty damn good), and we would’ve struggled even more to get stops with Dallas out there. Tyler Bey was awesome down the stretch, him and Nikolic did a tremendous job limiting Daum down the stretch.

Then the late night games
How do other teams get fans?
First post. Last nights game was incredible to watch. Moved here from Illinois 7 years ago and have been a fan ever since, it was especially easy since they won the PAC12 tournament their first year.. 4 games/4 days! Previously was an Illinois State bb fan and season ticket holder for >20 years. With few exceptions they were generally competing for a championship or top tier in what used to be a very strong mid major conference. The student fan base was up and down depending on how the team was doing, but the residents were always solid so it ranged from half full to capacity 10,500. Not as many distractions (pro teams, entertainment, etc.) available as DEnver area has. Their fan forum is extremely active, so always surprised/disappointed Allbuffs doesn't have more traffic. Anyways I am a diehard Buff fan and will be posting more.

First post. Last nights game was incredible to watch. Moved here from Illinois 7 years ago and have been a fan ever since, it was especially easy since they won the PAC12 tournament their first year.. 4 games/4 days! Previously was an Illinois State bb fan and season ticket holder for >20 years. With few exceptions they were generally competing for a championship or top tier in what used to be a very strong mid major conference. The student fan base was up and down depending on how the team was doing, but the residents were always solid so it ranged from half full to capacity 10,500. Not as many distractions (pro teams, entertainment, etc.) available as DEnver area has. Their fan forum is extremely active, so always surprised/disappointed Allbuffs doesn't have more traffic. Anyways I am a diehard Buff fan and will be posting more.
Glad to have you on board and adding to our MBB posts. (y)

I don't disagree with a thing you said, but I think that's a huge step forward/character builder for our kids to have to earn a win against a team like that (Don't forget they went to Wichita State and gave them a scare too.....on top of Ole Miss, Iowa, and last night-give them a favorable draw and they could easily make a sweet 16 run).

Back