What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread - Men's bball hosts #13 Tennessee (Saturday, 12/5/21,Noon MT, FS1) and Eastern Washington (Wednesday, 6:00 PM MT, Pac 12 Networks)

Yuck. Lots of good things in the first half. Lots of really really bad things in the second half.

We avoided a disaster. Go Buffs.
I kind feel like the players started the season thinking they were better than they are. I also think thry have the talent to be a as good as they thought they were.

Good point on KOA: our leader this year is EB, but there are many possesions when he doesn't even touch the ball. Much easier to lead, if you're a point guard who handles the ball every time

Danger signs:

Nique scoreless

Jabari still very cold from 3. What is his real percentage? Cause it's not this but it's not 50 percent.

I get the sentiment (and am definitely glad we won), but our NET and KenPom are likely to drop.

Still way better than a loss.
About time to stop worrying about those things. It won’t matter, this is an NIT team unless something changes. I guess it could be looked up, but I think we’re about 2-7 against the spread. Seems like a coaching issue to me with the talent we have.

Need to cut down the turnovers and shoot better. We had great looks from 3 but couldn't hit. Something isn't clicking. Defense was good but I don't know why we switch so much instead of fighting thru ball screens. It's creating mismatches and teams are taking advantage. I'd like to see us trap those high ball screens, at least sometimes.

About time to stop worrying about those things. It won’t matter, this is an NIT team unless something changes. I guess it could be looked up, but I think we’re about 2-7 against the spread. Seems like a coaching issue to me with the talent we have.
I think we miss Nate. He seems to be the common denominator in when we've gotten good guard play (other than Spencer, but he mentored his freshman year).

Need to cut down the turnovers and shoot better. We had great looks from 3 but couldn't hit. Something isn't clicking. Defense was good but I don't know why we switch so much instead of fighting thru ball screens. It's creating mismatches and teams are taking advantage. I'd like to see us trap those high ball screens, at least sometimes.
Kee got caught in some bad switches, he’s athletic enough to overcome it sometimes, but that will be a killer come conference play.

Kee got caught in some bad switches, he’s athletic enough to overcome it sometimes, but that will be a killer come conference play.
Kee & KJ are driving me crazy for different reasons. With both, a big reason for my frustration is that we see how much they're capable of. So talented & have been dominant in stretches on both ends. It's hard to be patient.

We either need to be way better than 20% from 3 or we need to not be taking 20 3s in a game.
Vast majority were great looks. You have to take those. Problem with volume is we're seeing teams collapse the lane & force us to make them.

TN scored a lot of points when Kee went to cover the center 3 feet from the basket and Battey covered the point guard. Same issue tonight. Milwaukee and KS are going to exploit that as well unless the team comes up with a solution that works.

TN scored a lot of points when Kee went to cover the center 3 feet from the basket and Battey covered the point guard. Same issue tonight. Milwaukee and KS are going to exploit that as well unless the team comes up with a solution that works.
Part of the problem is that Kee dies on way too many screens. The other guards aren’t a whole lot better. I think that’s why we are scheming for so much switching, the guards across the board have to be better fighting through screens.

Vast majority were great looks. You have to take those. Problem with volume is we're seeing teams collapse the lane & force us to make them.
Yes. But there were a few times we had open layups but instead kicked it out to a wide open three. That makes sense if you're hitting threes but if not, you need to get the two points.

We either need to be way better than 20% from 3 or we need to not be taking 20 3s in a game.
Percentage needs to go up, and honestly probably need to shoot a few more. Buffs take 17 per game, good for 334/358 in D1. They shoot at a 32 percent clip which is low, so really volume and percentage need to both climb. Unfortunately they don’t shoot the ball well as a team. Normally, effort can help overcome poor shooting (defense and rebounding among other things) but CU is lacking in the effort department…

Good point on KOA: our leader this year is EB, but there are many possesions when he doesn't even touch the ball. Much easier to lead, if you're a point guard who handles the ball every time
Yea - They started this discussion right when I got back to the car from the game. After watching the game my takeaway is that when the Buffs have the ball, there is no consistent play from the guards and unless/until this changes they Buff are gonna struggle on offense.

Tonight Kee started out hot and looked to be playing with a lot confidence. He hit treys, etc., and then disappeared. None of the other three were consistent or confident either.

Yes, the Buffs missed a lot of open treys. I think Walker was 0-5 and Kee and KJ were the only players that made them.

Unless/until the at one of the guards steps up it's gonna be a long season.

Part of the problem is that Kee dies on way too many screens. The other guards aren’t a whole lot better. I think that’s why we are scheming for so much switching, the guards across the board have to be better fighting through screens.
Our section was saying this all night. He gets caught up and then doesn’t fight to get back into a good defensive position. That and the fact that the hot shooting Venters kid simply abused DaSilva tonight. Tristan looked like he was in mud trying to guard a slow white kid. Not good.

Our section was saying this all night. He gets caught up and then doesn’t fight to get back into a good defensive position. That and the fact that the hot shooting Venters kid simply abused DaSilva tonight. Tristan looked like he was in mud trying to guard a slow white kid. Not good.
Good catch, which is why Tad had offense/defense substitutions going on at the end of the game with Kee.

Reactions: '99
Take Evan out of the equation and we can switch 1 through 5. Evan's usually in the equation, though.

One other observation on offense - we never have more than one player down low in rebounding position when a shot goes up. Last year it seems like we had two or three players attacking the boards when a shot went up. Kin was one of those more often than not. I have yet to see our guards actively get in the mix if they are not already in the paint.

With our outside shooting difficulties this year, this seems like a concern but could be an opportunity if we adjusted some things.

Back