What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- MEN'S bball hosts USC (Thurs., 2/23/23, 7:00 MT; ESPN2) and #3/4 UCLA (Sunday, 2:00 PM MT, CBS)

To an extent I agree but it seems like ours are longer and uglier.
They’re definitely uglier - I addressed that in there because Tad tries to minimize the damage by taking the air out of the ball. Personally, I’ve always thought that when you lack depth you blitz teams with your bench and try to get cheap points. But I’m a 40 year old dumbass who reached a basketball pinnacle of playing Colorado high school basketball very poorly and Tad is the all time wins leader in CU history and has coached the US U18 team so I’m probably wrong in this case.

We’re not gonna be healthy enough to make noise. This is our DWhite Redux year. Focus on the good (Lovering, LOB, TDS), ignore the bad and purge the dead weight.

Cody moves everyone down a spot. Hopefully that gets KJ back on track and he can be a #2. TDS as the third option and suddenly things look a LOT better.

We need another PG.
We don't have enough to win it but this team could win one or even a couple of games on the way.

They’re definitely uglier - I addressed that in there because Tad tries to minimize the damage by taking the air out of the ball. Personally, I’ve always thought that when you lack depth you blitz teams with your bench and try to get cheap points. But I’m a 40 year old dumbass who reached a basketball pinnacle of playing Colorado high school basketball very poorly and Tad is the all time wins leader in CU history and has coached the US U18 team so I’m probably wrong in this case.
I agree with you, go on the attack and try to change the flow of the game.

And in no way am I intending this to say I am unhappy with Tad. Every coach has something that could be improved on. That doesn't mean that the program would be improved by replacing them.

Lovering finished the game with two fouls. I wonder what would have happened if we didn't sit him so early in the first half.
He still has a ways to go but LL is starting to look more comfortable with asserting himself on offense. His presence on the defensive end is still impactful. UCLA was better when he wasn't in the game.

He still has a ways to go but LL is starting to look more comfortable with asserting himself on offense. His presence on the defensive end is still impactful. UCLA was better when he wasn't in the game.
He can't shoot a lick and brings the ball down to his waist way too often. He did hit two clutch free throws (I think) but in general he is a huge liability there too. I have no idea why UCLA was guarding him when he had the ball between the free throw line and the three-point line today. He can't make that shot and the defense should just sag back.

I agree with you, go on the attack and try to change the flow of the game.

And in no way am I intending this to say I am unhappy with Tad. Every coach has something that could be improved on. That doesn't mean that the program would be improved by replacing them.
Oh there are legit concerns here. The problem is that there are certain narratives that are so comically bad that it overshadows the actual legit criticisms that can be made and then it becomes a political battle where people dig in to their side and it becomes “Tad is a dumbass who needs to be fired” vs “Tad is perfect and I will fight you”.

We need another PG. We need Cody to be legit. We need one of the new bigs (or Hurlburt) to be able to provide minutes backing up LL so we don’t have to rely on LOB or TDS to do that. We need health. We need Tad to read the riot act to the team that if they’re not going to take things seriously, they’re not going to play (which is the only reason I’m good with how the QA situation is playing out). And even with all of that? I’m sky high on next year. I really honestly believe a lot of our issues are due to the fact that a lot of guys are playing “above” where they should (KJ as lead dog, TDS as second, etc). Even if Cody isn’t a one and done, he’s someone who can direct an offense and help get open buckets. For Gods sake, LL might actually get a pass thrown to him that doesn’t hit him in the ankles.

I really like our core.

He can't shoot a lick and brings the ball down to his waist way too often. He did hit two clutch free throws (I think) but in general he is a huge liability there too. I have no idea why UCLA was guarding him when he had the ball between the free throw line and the three-point line today. He can't make that shot and the defense should just sag back.
I can guarantee that he’s going to be going through a lot of drills this summer where he gets hit with a stick when he brings the ball down to his waist. If he can fix that, it’ll be very noticeable next year.

Oh there are legit concerns here. The problem is that there are certain narratives that are so comically bad that it overshadows the actual legit criticisms that can be made and then it becomes a political battle where people dig in to their side and it becomes “Tad is a dumbass who needs to be fired” vs “Tad is perfect and I will fight you”.

We need another PG. We need Cody to be legit. We need one of the new bigs (or Hurlburt) to be able to provide minutes backing up LL so we don’t have to rely on LOB or TDS to do that. We need health. We need Tad to read the riot act to the team that if they’re not going to take things seriously, they’re not going to play (which is the only reason I’m good with how the QA situation is playing out). And even with all of that? I’m sky high on next year. I really honestly believe a lot of our issues are due to the fact that a lot of guys are playing “above” where they should (KJ as lead dog, TDS as second, etc). Even if Cody isn’t a one and done, he’s someone who can direct an offense and help get open buckets. For Gods sake, LL might actually get a pass thrown to him that doesn’t hit him in the ankles.

I really like our core.
Wish I had written this, it is spot on. Go to the message boards of every team in the country including those who spend a lot of time in the top 10 and you will find criticisms of the coach. Doesn't mean they want or have reason to get rid of him.

And I would love to see this group with a legit PG who takes charge.

I can guarantee that he’s going to be going through a lot of drills this summer where he gets hit with a stick when he brings the ball down to his waist. If he can fix that, it’ll be very noticeable next year.
Big men are slow to develop, especially big men who didn't face legit big men in their HS years. LL doesn't need to have a whole arsenal of offensive tools. He is a hard worker and I'd be willing to bet that he comes back next year as a much better threat on the offensive end. And a part of that (going back to getting a PG) is his teammates learning how to work with him. Get him the ball where he doesn't have to reach down to get it, where he doesn't have to dribble or expose the ball to the hands of shorter players.

What are the chances KJ transfers? He’s gotta be frustrated. Besides TDS, he has zero help as far as putting pressure on the defense … teams collapse on him and he looks out of control. If he leaves, we are ****ed.

One thing I've noticed about our team is that we often help the opponent up off the floor. I remember that Battey would do that all the time and it was one small thing among the many other things that I liked about him. I'm glad that behavior has worn off on his former teammates and that the tradition continues.

What are the chances KJ transfers? He’s gotta be frustrated. Besides TDS, he has zero help as far as putting pressure on the defense … teams collapse on him and he looks out of control. If he leaves, we are ****ed.
Really? Y'all are worried about a starter transferring out? Tell me how often that happens. Y'all act like he's not also got a lot of limitations in his game right now.

I really like our core.
Next season starts in the weight room this April. That and everyone shooting hundreds of shots a day, including finishing workouts by heading to the FT line when they're worn out.

I didn't get to see the game, but my dad and brother went to the game and sat in the 3rd row. They told me that you could hear the slaps on KJ's arms whenever he went into the lane, and more than once UCLA defenders got away with outright shoving CU ballhandlers.

Were the refs that bad, or just sour grapes?

I didn't get to see the game, but my dad and brother went to the game and sat in the 3rd row. They told me that you could hear the slaps on KJ's arms whenever he went into the lane, and more than once UCLA defenders got away with outright shoving CU ballhandlers.

Tony Padilla is one of the worst officials on earth. It wasn’t an overly terribly officiated game, but it wasn’t well officiated either.

Some dudes are taking advantage of it. Not enough.
We also recruit a lot of super skinny guys as compared to some other schools. There's not that many guys that come in weighing 230+. The guys that do are usually higher rated or not athletic.

We definitely have issue with guys who've been here 2, 3, 4 years sometimes who've somehow only added 5lbs.

We got more than our fair share of calls today. No right bitching about refs. Defenders for both teams were basically allowed to push off on rebound opportunities all day.

KJ gets fouled on his drives and it doesn't help that he drives right 90% of the time and his 3 pt shot is gone so they play the drive. Weight room for sure and automate his 3pt shot. And do Jrs LOB, TDS have a 5th year if they want?

KJ gets fouled on his drives and it doesn't help that he drives right 90% of the time and his 3 pt shot is gone so they play the drive. Weight room for sure and automate his 3pt shot. And do Jrs LOB, TDS have a 5th year if they want?
Everyone in our junior class has their Covid year. LOB is the only one I could see using it.

Really? Y'all are worried about a starter transferring out? Tell me how often that happens. Y'all act like he's not also got a lot of limitations in his game right now.
Starters don’t transfer? Really? And yeah, he’s got limitations but he’s literally the *only* guy on this entire roster that can consistently create and put pressure on the defense. TDS disappears for long stretches. KJ misses lots of shots lately but at least he’s consistently creating and being dynamic.

Starters don’t transfer? Really? And yeah, he’s got limitations but he’s literally the *only* guy on this entire roster that can consistently create and put pressure on the defense. TDS disappears for long stretches. KJ misses lots of shots lately but at least he’s consistently creating and being dynamic.
There has been less than zero smoke about this. The only person who agrees with your worries thinks we need to recreate the 1990s Knicks. At this point you’re just worrying to worry.

Tony Padilla is one of the worst officials on earth. It wasn’t an overly terribly officiated game, but it wasn’t well officiated either.
They were consistent, for the most part; they were letting a lot go. UCLA was happy to take advantage of the openly physical interpretations, we maybe less so. So many grabs went uncalled, so many moving screens allowed to happen, but, again, I thought it was consistent for the most part.

My biggest single problem was #34 coming in late on LOB's offensive rebound with like 90 seconds left, and going through him. Was an isolated sequence, not in the muck, right in front of the official. Went uncalled, and Luke took the shot to the ground. Then Luke had to run back, got switched onto Tyger, and that was the ballgame. If that gets called right, maybe a different ending. But, those things happen.

Next season starts in the weight room this April. That and everyone shooting hundreds of shots a day, including finishing workouts by heading to the FT line when they're worn out.
Bingo. Some of these guys need to develop some more physically for sure. The free throws, agree as well. It cost them the game yesterday, amongst other things, definitely a big factor though. Pick a routine and do that same **** every time. Main thing is, WORK ON IT! I get tired of hearing, oh hell, it's not that big of a deal. If it wasn't, why is it helping you lose games? I'll leave it at that, I'm about to go on an Embree rant. :D

Just an observation but I wouldn’t be surprised if UCLA and Arizona don’t get past the Round of 16 in this year’s tournament.

Back