What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- MEN'S bball hosts USC (Thurs., 2/23/23, 7:00 MT; ESPN2) and #3/4 UCLA (Sunday, 2:00 PM MT, CBS)

They were consistent, for the most part; they were letting a lot go. UCLA was happy to take advantage of the openly physical interpretations, we maybe less so. So many grabs went uncalled, so many moving screens allowed to happen, but, again, I thought it was consistent for the most part.

My biggest single problem was #34 coming in late on LOB's offensive rebound with like 90 seconds left, and going through him. Was an isolated sequence, not in the muck, right in front of the official. Went uncalled, and Luke took the shot to the ground. Then Luke had to run back, got switched onto Tyger, and that was the ballgame. If that gets called right, maybe a different ending. But, those things happen.
I know you agree about the “Tony Padilla sucks” part.

Just an observation but I wouldn’t be surprised if UCLA and Arizona don’t get past the Round of 16 in this year’s tournament.
I would be surprised if UCLA didn't make the sweet 16 but they are going to need Bona to play well to go further. They are a pretty small team but they make up for it with the physicality of Jacquez and Tyger especially.
Arizona doesn't have the guards this year. Last year with Mathurin was their chance.

Oh there are legit concerns here. The problem is that there are certain narratives that are so comically bad that it overshadows the actual legit criticisms that can be made and then it becomes a political battle where people dig in to their side and it becomes “Tad is a dumbass who needs to be fired” vs “Tad is perfect and I will fight you”.

We need another PG. We need Cody to be legit. We need one of the new bigs (or Hurlburt) to be able to provide minutes backing up LL so we don’t have to rely on LOB or TDS to do that. We need health. We need Tad to read the riot act to the team that if they’re not going to take things seriously, they’re not going to play (which is the only reason I’m good with how the QA situation is playing out). And even with all of that? I’m sky high on next year. I really honestly believe a lot of our issues are due to the fact that a lot of guys are playing “above” where they should (KJ as lead dog, TDS as second, etc). Even if Cody isn’t a one and done, he’s someone who can direct an offense and help get open buckets. For Gods sake, LL might actually get a pass thrown to him that doesn’t hit him in the ankles.

I really like our core.

This. I heard at least 3 different people bitching about LL at the horse after the game, complaining about him "taking the ball down too low every time".

Dude is 7'1". Stop throwing him passes at the 1.5' level, I bet he does better with them. FFS, Nique tries to throw every pass to KJ or Hammond at about the 15' level, ****ing find something in the damn middle.

I didn't get to see the game, but my dad and brother went to the game and sat in the 3rd row. They told me that you could hear the slaps on KJ's arms whenever he went into the lane, and more than once UCLA defenders got away with outright shoving CU ballhandlers.

Were the refs that bad, or just sour grapes?
Didn't feel like too much was getting missed as far as that goes, but Bona can't set a screen without taking 4 steps and hip checking 3 people on his way.

They were consistent, for the most part; they were letting a lot go. UCLA was happy to take advantage of the openly physical interpretations, we maybe less so. So many grabs went uncalled, so many moving screens allowed to happen, but, again, I thought it was consistent for the most part.

My biggest single problem was #34 coming in late on LOB's offensive rebound with like 90 seconds left, and going through him. Was an isolated sequence, not in the muck, right in front of the official. Went uncalled, and Luke took the shot to the ground. Then Luke had to run back, got switched onto Tyger, and that was the ballgame. If that gets called right, maybe a different ending. But, those things happen.

You saw me losing my mind sitting in front of you yesterday and are trying to aggravate me further aren't you? 😁

And I agree for the most part.

Didn't feel like too much was getting missed as far as that goes, but Bona can't set a screen without taking 4 steps and hip checking 3 people on his way.

Yeah that was frustrating.

The UCLA player wearing the facemask was banging down low all game and didn't pick up his first foul till under 10 mins in the 2nd half I believe.

Edit: Sorry, facemask guy was also Bona. I think it was him my friends and I couldn't believe had no fouls till that late.

Last edited:
Just an observation but I wouldn’t be surprised if UCLA and Arizona don’t get past the Round of 16 in this year’s tournament.
Only the most elite of elite teams are really surprises if they don't get past the sweet 16. Don't think one of those teams exists this year. For example, if UCLA were to match up with Tennessee in the sweet 16, no one would be surprised if Tennessee won that game.

With that, Jaime Jacquez is a great college basketball player, and those are the kinds of guys I would like having on my team to try to make a deep run.

This. I heard at least 3 different people bitching about LL at the horse after the game, complaining about him "taking the ball down too low every time".

Dude is 7'1". Stop throwing him passes at the 1.5' level, I bet he does better with them. FFS, Nique tries to throw every pass to KJ or Hammond at about the 15' level, ****ing find something in the damn middle.
The worst one was LL I believe grabbed a rebound then put down a dribble and lost it

Only the most elite of elite teams are really surprises if they don't get past the sweet 16. Don't think one of those teams exists this year. For example, if UCLA were to match up with Tennessee in the sweet 16, no one would be surprised if Tennessee won that game.

With that, Jaime Jacquez is a great college basketball player, and those are the kinds of guys I would like having on my team to try to make a deep run.
Yeah, I’m just used to thinking that at least one PAC team has pretty fair odds of ending up the the final 8 or better. Arizona has been really puzzling this year and lacks elite guard play, as was pointed out earlier. The local fans down here are scratching their heads….

The worst one was LL I believe grabbed a rebound then put down a dribble and lost it
There are times where he needs to just take his rebounds and go up immediately and dunk / get fouled. He looks to pass it out too often. I still think he doesn't know how big he really is.

There are times where he needs to just take his rebounds and go up immediately and dunk / get fouled. He looks to pass it out too often. I still think he doesn't know how big he really is.
LL seems to have an aversion to getting fouled when a lot of times his best outcome would be to GET fouled.

Last edited:
Oh there are legit concerns here. The problem is that there are certain narratives that are so comically bad that it overshadows the actual legit criticisms that can be made and then it becomes a political battle where people dig in to their side and it becomes “Tad is a dumbass who needs to be fired” vs “Tad is perfect and I will fight you”.

We need another PG. We need Cody to be legit. We need one of the new bigs (or Hurlburt) to be able to provide minutes backing up LL so we don’t have to rely on LOB or TDS to do that. We need health. We need Tad to read the riot act to the team that if they’re not going to take things seriously, they’re not going to play (which is the only reason I’m good with how the QA situation is playing out). And even with all of that? I’m sky high on next year. I really honestly believe a lot of our issues are due to the fact that a lot of guys are playing “above” where they should (KJ as lead dog, TDS as second, etc). Even if Cody isn’t a one and done, he’s someone who can direct an offense and help get open buckets. For Gods sake, LL might actually get a pass thrown to him that doesn’t hit him in the ankles.

I really like our core.
I've been told by quite a few people, don't hold your breath on Hurlburt.

Wasn’t expecting anything until Junior year anyway. I’m fine being patient there.
Not sure I agree. MBB isn't about waiting and nurturing anymore. Basically eating a scholly for 2 years before getting any ROI is no bueno.

Not sure I agree. MBB isn't about waiting and nurturing anymore. Basically eating a scholly for 2 years before getting any ROI is no bueno.
Don't know if I fully agree on this. Winning basketball teams have a combination of talented fresh/sophmores with experienced battle harden program building/developed vets, and transfer role players.

Tennessee's starting center Uros Plavic has the career stat line below. He's tough, rebounds, plays his role which fits Tennesee's MO. Don't think they regret that scholly.

1677616560724.png

This is Ben Gregg's statline at Gonzaga.

1677617025213.png

This is Mitch Lightfoot's career at Kansas- They kept him on scholly for 6 years. Helped them win a Natty last year as an 8th man.
1677617171643.png

Not everyone is going to be a star, you need people that buy into the program, play their role, and develop to the best version of what they can be. Hurlburt still has that opportunity here.

Don't know if I fully agree on this. Winning basketball teams have a combination of talented fresh/sophmores with experienced battle harden program building/developed vets, and transfer role players.

Tennessee's starting center Uros Plavic has the career stat line below. He's tough, rebounds, plays his role which fits Tennesee's MO. Don't think they regret that scholly.

View attachment 59271

This is Ben Gregg's statline at Gonzaga.

View attachment 59272

This is Mitch Lightfoot's career at Kansas- They kept him on scholly for 6 years. Helped them win a Natty last year as an 8th man.
View attachment 59273

Not everyone is going to be a star, you need people that buy into the program, play their role, and develop to the best version of what they can be. Hurlburt still has that opportunity here.
Sure. But when, like us, you have 7 of these guys on the roster, you're in the sh!t.

Would like to see him play on Sat!
How impact does a W have on seeding?Seems like we are gonna be a 9 seed, play Wash ugh, then UCLA if we advance. If 10 seed and we win first tourn game then Az, and thats a real bad matchup. Maybe itd be better to get extra time to heal TDS and/or if he can play Sat, keep it under wraps so Utah can't lock in their scouting.

Back