What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread-MEN'S BBALL opens season hosting UC-Riverside (Monday, 11/7/22, 6:30 MT) & at Grambling (Fri, 6 MT) & #11 Tennessee (Sun, Noon MT)

I just watched both the highlights only and the shortened replay, and if anything, I'm more angry about the refs and the homer call than I was during the game.

Ethan Wright gets absolutely hammered on his break away layup - no call. KJ gets grabbed by the arm and spun around at mid-court when TN starts fouling (no play whatsoever on the ball) - common foul. KJs 3 at the end of the half was at least as much of a foul as their first 3, no call.
I didn’t think they were any more favorable for one team over the other. Tennessee fans sure weren’t happy at several non calls.

Well, that was an absolute stink bomb last night. Unacceptable and embarrassing level of focus and effort. Lots to fix. Wake up call,

Moving on.

As Coach Calipari says, in the early part of the season you either win or you learn.

Hoping to see a different team on Sunday.
This actually did age really well - completely different team on Sunday.

Does anyone know the status of Quincy Allen? Injured last year, was practicing with the team in camp. Is he officially listed as injured or is he not playing at the level to get on the floor?

This actually did age really well - completely different team on Sunday.

Does anyone know the status of Quincy Allen? Injured last year, was practicing with the team in camp. Is he officially listed as injured or is he not playing at the level to get on the floor?
I was glad to see Quincy with the team in Nashville. Adam keeps saying it's a matter of him earning minutes when we've already got a 10-man rotation of guys who are giving net positive play.

I don't know what's going on.

What I do know is if I was picking players for a 1-on-1 tournament among guys on this year's roster, Quincy might be my first pick. If he can take that step Tad wants to see and breaks through, he's a potential difference maker who could elevate this team to another level of firepower and athleticism.

I was glad to see Quincy with the team in Nashville. Adam keeps saying it's a matter of him earning minutes when we've already got a 10-man rotation of guys who are giving net positive play.

I don't know what's going on.

What I do know is if I was picking players for a 1-on-1 tournament among guys on this year's roster, Quincy might be my first pick. If he can take that step Tad wants to see and breaks through, he's a potential difference maker who could elevate this team to another level of firepower and athleticism.
So you think it's a matter of a college coach being overly stubborn about making a guy play to his system? I mean, it happens a lot.

So you think it's a matter of a college coach being overly stubborn about making a guy play to his system? I mean, it happens a lot.
No. I'd say "properly stubborn" with this. The program is built on defending, rebounding, toughness and putting the team first. There's no secret about that in recruiting. So when a guy gets here there are no surprises other than maybe just how hard it is. There are some other guys who are frustrated by what Tad expects of them and are a bit in the doghouse & chafing at their role. If they listen and respond, they can be great. If they don't, we'll have attrition. Tad will not compromise the program values.

No. I'd say "properly stubborn" with this. The program is built on defending, rebounding, toughness and putting the team first. There's no secret about that in recruiting. So when a guy gets here there are no surprises other than maybe just how hard it is. There are some other guys who are frustrated by what Tad expects of them and are a bit in the doghouse & chafing at their role. If they listen and respond, they can be great. If they don't, we'll have attrition. Tad will not compromise the program values.
I get that, but I've long had issues with Tad's lack of focus on scoring points and shooting as part of the program, and those two things are usually what bite is in the ass and hold us back.

I get that, but I've long had issues with Tad's lack of focus on scoring points and shooting as part of the program, and those two things are usually what bite is in the ass and hold us back.
Disagree. Lack of talented depth has been our big Achilles heel. No backups for Spencer (or replacements), no one behind MK$ for years.

That may not be the case anymore. And compromising program values is the quickest way to ruin a whole season. Tad did it once and it was awful.

We just beat the #11 team on the road. Let's not panic because one guy is having trouble staying healthy

I was happy to hear on Sunday that they were staying in TN today and traveling to SC tomorrow. Tutors present for classwork, but no extra travel time,. and likely some good opportunity to prep for UMass.
Let that hard work lesson sink in, eh?

I was happy to hear on Sunday that they were staying in TN today and traveling to SC tomorrow. Tutors present for classwork, but no extra travel time,. and likely some good opportunity to prep for UMass.
Let that hard work lesson sink in, eh?
Yep. Also, staying in the same time zone helps. We need to have a great showing at MBI.

Disagree. Lack of talented depth has been our big Achilles heel. No backups for Spencer (or replacements), no one behind MK$ for years.

That may not be the case anymore. And compromising program values is the quickest way to ruin a whole season. Tad did it once and it was awful.

We just beat the #11 team on the road. Let's not panic because one guy is having trouble staying healthy
Yeah, I think Tad gives burn to players who aren't all the way bought in or there yet. Tyler Bey wouldn't run the offense often, but he was an absolute beast on defense and both boards. Jabari was great at spacing but also found himself out of position offensively and defensively, but earned more and more time with his development. Which is why I asked the question about Allen (not sure how this devolved into questions about Tad). I am just curious, given the examples I've given above, Tad will play talented players, giving them opportunities. I'm wondering how far behind is Allen in terms of team ball? No doubt he has massive talent. Maybe he doesn't fit here (more of a Kentucky, Memphis player where players are given freedom to use their athleticism - less structured) or perhaps Tad is mentoring him long term. Just a head scratcher that 2 Ivy league transfers and a CC player (they are nice) are playing over a 4 star stud in year two of seeing the system. I suppose Nik nailed it, it's just a matter of development into a team player.

Yeah, I think Tad gives burn to players who aren't all the way bought in or there yet. Tyler Bey wouldn't run the offense often, bit he was an absolute beast on defense and both boards. Jabari was great at spacing bit also found himself out of position offensively and defensively, but earned more and more time with his development. Which is why I asked the question about Allen (not sure how this devolved into questions about Tad). I am just curious, given the examples I've given above, Tad will play talented players opportunities. I'm wondering how far behind is Allen in terms of team ball? No doubt he has massive talent. Maybe he doesn't fit here (more of a Kentucky, Memphis player where players are given freedom to use their athleticism - less structured) or perhaps Tad is mentoring him long term. Just a head scratcher that 2 Ivy league transfers and a CC player (they are nice) are playing over a 4 star stud in year two of seeing the system. I suppose Nik nailed it, it's just a matter of development into a team player.
Honestly, I think it's mostly that he hasn't been healthy enough to practice at 100% and Tad wants him to get healthier and tougher.

How much time has he missed in practice from his illness this year?

Also...he appears to be playing the role of good teammate quite well this far as he's engaged and celebrating with the guys.
I don't know to the first part. Tad comments.

I 100% agree with that 2nd part. I'm rooting for him hard.

Buffs ranked #37 in the AP poll

One can only wonder what that rank would've been with the Grambling State Incident

Which also must be noted that Grambling also picked up some votes for a #43 ranking

How much time has he missed in practice from his illness this year?

Also...he appears to be playing the role of good teammate quite well this far as he's engaged and celebrating with the guys.
That is huge. He seems to be keeping a good attitude and being a good teammate. I respect him a lot.

just finished the game -- totally unexpected after Grambling, and totally awesome!!!!

can anyone explain why we agreed to play that game at a "neutral court" in TN after they played at the EC? that should be counting as an Away win for CU (last year counted as a home loss, after all).

just finished the game -- totally unexpected after Grambling, and totally awesome!!!!

can anyone explain why we agreed to play that game at a "neutral court" in TN after they played at the EC? that should be counting as an Away win for CU (last year counted as a home loss, after all).
It's incredibly difficult for Tad to get anyone to come to Boulder. Concessions need to be made.

I used to be super close to the program, and getting people to come here has been an issue for years; coaches respect Tad, they respect the Home court advantage - they know there is a good chance that they can get beaten in Boulder no matter how good they are. Teams flat-out refuse to play home & home series with us, they want 2 for 1 or something like this., Tad sticking to his guns as a young coach at one point costs us a tourney bid because of how crappy our strength of schedule was, the lesson was learned it has not happened again.

I used to be super close to the program, and getting people to come here has been an issue for years; coaches respect Tad, they respect the Home court advantage - they know there is a good chance that they can get beaten in Boulder no matter how good they are. Teams flat-out refuse to play home & home series with us, they want 2 for 1 or something like this., Tad sticking to his guns as a young coach at one point costs us a tourney bid because of how crappy our strength of schedule was, the lesson was learned it has not happened again.
Yep. And the goal is to get to a point where you’re good enough year in year out where you can be seen as a resume booster and losses to us either help or don’t hurt. But teams aren’t wanting to come here if it risks a Q3 loss if we end up sucking that particular year.

Yep. And the goal is to get to a point where you’re good enough year in year out where you can be seen as a resume booster and losses to us either help or don’t hurt. But teams aren’t wanting to come here if it risks a Q3 loss if we end up sucking that particular year.
Would also help with those quality Q2 type teams if another local program would get consistently into that 150 NET range so they could pick up a 2nd game when traveling here. UNC or DU could help us a lot on scheduling.

Back