What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Greg Schiano - AHC/DC Ohio State University

Does anyone think that Schiano would be the DC at OSU in 2018 if there was not a cloud from PSU over his head?

I certainly don't. If seems like if there was anything more, it would have come out. DC at OSU is a high profile job. This will have to be proactively addressed and slammed shut, if hired. Schiano is the most qualified hire out there in my book, so bring it on!
He'd be the Head Coach at Tennessee right now

as long as he was not complicit in the pedo state attacks in some way, then i think he'd be a good hire for us. the stink of pedo state is quite significant however. yes, i have read the articles about how he's been unfairly impugned and i get that, objectively. the problem for me personally is that i think paterno was as close to lucifer as any living or dead football coach in recent memory. can one work for the devil and not be one of his minions? i don't know, but i am trying to give this guy the benefit of the doubt-- if he's hired, i will try even more.

The rest of your argument is equally bad. If we were hiring a DC then maybe I’d be more concerned with the performance of the defense in one season over the course of a 30 year coaching career, but we’re not hiring a DC we’re hiring a HC and his resume as a HC is really, really good.

And I like how every coach who has been a HC somewhere else is a “retread” like that’s some huge red flag. Steve Spurrier was a retread, Nick Saban was a retread, Pete Carroll was a retread.

Belichick was a retread in the NFL, too. It’s not a bad thing. Usually the second time around they are better because they have learned from previous mistakes.

I didn’t follow Schiano in the NFL because I don’t like the NFL. From what I’ve read he did not do well, but he never failed in college. He’s been the DC at The U and OSU and a HC at RU. He’s had success at each stop. Retread’s aren’t bad IMHO.

I don’t know why the thought of Schiano at CU is so unappealing to so many people here.

He can assemble a staff.
He can recruit.
He has previous P5 HC experience.
He has NFL HC experience.
He is currently a top assistant at an elite level P5 program.
He is still reasonably young at 52 years old.
He would be motivated to kick ass and take names.

Honestly, I don’t understand the reluctance. If we could hire this guy, we should.

#4 and #7 are irrelevant.

I wonder about #1 as well.

#7 Ian somewhat relevant in light of all the objection to Les Miles age and concerns that Schiano may be washed up - he’s probably too young for that.

#1 I would say there would be fewer question marks than most of the young coordinator candidates being tossed around.

#7 Ian somewhat relevant in light of all the objection to Les Miles age and concerns that Schiano may be washed up - he’s probably too young for that.

#1 I would say there would be fewer question marks than most of the young coordinator candidates being tossed around.

#7 is just a subjective, unquantifiable argument. How badly does he want to kick ass and take names compared to other candidates?

#1 is the same question I had with Miles. A lot of Schiano's coaching tree has spread out and many have good jobs now. Why would they bolt to work with Schiano again?

#7 is the intangible thing that I think can help, but should not be included in the criteria. As Sink said, I think he brings more to #1 than just about anybody not named Dana Holgerson, particularly the younger coordinators like Day, Lake and Lupoi.

#7 is just a subjective, unquantifiable argument. How badly does he want to kick ass and take names compared to other candidates?

#1 is the same question I had with Miles. A lot of Schiano's coaching tree has spread out and many have good jobs now. Why would they bolt to work with Schiano again?

That’s a fair point, but he also probably has elevated his profile with all the connections made at tOSU. There is probably an assistant or two he can bring over and some staffers he can pluck from recuriting and graphics, too. That’s usually how that works.

#7 Of course it’s subjective but in light of RG’s young disciplinarian comment he would seem to fit that bill. Whether he can kick ass and take names - who knows, that’s RG’s job to figure out.

#1 Why would any assistant leave a job to take another? More pay, new opportunity, promotion, good working relationship with the HC, to get out of some s**t town they currently work in, I don’t know. Point is, Schiano’s likely going to have a deeper rolodex than these 30 something coordinators which is a positive.

For #1, don’t you make an argument in his favor? A lot of his tree have good jobs now, so he apparently knows how to identify good assistants. I’m sure he knows a lot of coaches that he would consider for his staff.

What I am saying is you have to actually ask Schiano and not just assume he can draw people to CU. I think that experienced head coaches get too much of the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

As good as he was at Rutgers, that is pretty much a lifetime ago in terms of college football today.

What I am saying is you have to actually ask Schiano and not just assume he can draw people to CU. I think that experienced head coaches get too much of the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

As good as he was at Rutgers, that is pretty much a lifetime ago in terms of college football today.

Yes, that is true it was about 7 years ago, but he has put together staffs as a HC in CFB and the NFL, so he’s probably more likely to be able to do so then a young coordinator with not as big a network. I checked the staff he had with the Bucs. Seems like a respected staff. Mike Sullivan is the QB coach with the Broncos. McNulty is the OC at RU. Robb Smith was DC for Minnesota and Arkansas (available today). Robert Frasier is under him at OSU. Jeff Hafley is the DB coach for the 49ers. Ben McDaniels former Rutgers OC looks available, too. I’m sure he’d have a staff lined up.

I think that since we're talking about a guy who is in one of the premier coordinator jobs in the nation, has assembled staffs before and went through the process of how he would put together a staff last year (before Tenn yanked the rug out), that it's a pretty safe assumption that Schiano could put a staff together with many options at his disposal.

If you think some 30 something year old coordinator who is basically 3 steps removed from being a GA would be equivalent on assembling a coaching staff, I think you're completely looney tunes on this topic.:p

Come on Duff - of course you have to ask him just like you have to ask every candidate about their strategy with their staff - we’re all just guessing here. I think we can all assume none of us will get to ask those questions to these candidates directly but the people who do the hiring will.

Yes, that is true it was about 7 years ago, but he has put together staffs as a HC in CFB and the NFL, so he’s probably more likely to be able to do so then a young coordinator with not as big a network. I checked the staff he had with the Bucs. Seems like a respected staff. Mike Sullivan is the QB coach with the Broncos. McNulty is the OC at RU. Robb Smith was DC for Minnesota and Arkansas (available today). Robert Frasier is under him at OSU. Jeff Hafley is the DB coach for the 49ers. Ben McDaniels former Rutgers OC looks available, too. I’m sure he’d have a staff lined up.

He has a bigger network. No one denies that, but I am saying the question needs to be asked in detail just like you would the young coordinators. Do not assume anything. That is what gets a program like CU into trouble because they just assume everything and due diligence is never done.

For example, Robb Smith is available because he outright failed at Minnesota.

I think that since we're talking about a guy who is in one of the premier coordinator jobs in the nation, has assembled staffs before and went through the process of how he would put together a staff last year (before Tenn yanked the rug out), that it's a pretty safe assumption that Schiano could put a staff together with many options at his disposal.

If you think some 30 something year old coordinator who is basically 3 steps removed from being a GA would be equivalent on assembling a coaching staff, I think you're completely looney tunes on this topic.:p

All I am saying is RG has to actually complete the due diligence.

For all we know, there may be candidates who can put together far better staffs than Schiano right now. Do not assume anything.

So that the AD doesn't repeat the UTjr fiasco, this is a brilliant idea. We should have each of the candidates stand up to an AllBuffs firing line of questions. Live in the chat room at 6pm before the MBB game! Or live at the Dark Horse! Beers at 4:45!

He has a bigger network. No one denies that, but I am saying the question needs to be asked in detail just like you would the young coordinators. Do not assume anything. That is what gets a program like CU into trouble because they just assume everything and due diligence is never done.

For example, Robb Smith is available because he outright failed at Minnesota.

Obviously the AD will ask those questions. We are just saying it’s more likely a guy whose been a HC for 13 years and almost again last year is more likely to be able to put together a quality staff than a young coordinator with a smaller network.

Just using Smith as an example. Maybe he failed as a DC there, but he did have some decent defenses at Arkansas and who knows, maybe he’d even be a position coach now. Just speculating.

Obviously the AD will ask those questions. We are just saying it’s more likely a guy whose been a HC for 13 years and almost again last year is more likely to be able to put together a quality staff than a young coordinator with a smaller network.

Just using Smith as an example. Maybe he failed as a DC there, but he did have some decent defenses at Arkansas and who knows, maybe he’d even be a position coach now. Just speculating.

Yes. More likely.

But it may not be the slam dunk that everyone assumes. If Schiano is the guy, I look forward to how awesome everyone he hires is because of his experience.

Yes. More likely.

But it may not be the slam dunk that everyone assumes. If Schiano is the guy, I look forward to how awesome everyone he hires is because of his experience.
Isn't the inability to hire a top staff one of your main complaints about coaches who get promoted from G5 jobs?

I feel like you discredit it on assumption in one case but refuse to credit it on assumption in the other case.

The rest of your argument is equally bad. If we were hiring a DC then maybe I’d be more concerned with the performance of the defense in one season over the course of a 30 year coaching career, but we’re not hiring a DC we’re hiring a HC and his resume as a HC is really, really good.

And I like how every coach who has been a HC somewhere else is a “retread” like that’s some huge red flag. Steve Spurrier was a retread, Nick Saban was a retread, Pete Carroll was a retread.

When evaluating coaches who are assistants, I think it is appropriate to ask how they’ve done in their role as an assistant. It has gotten worse even with a top 3 talent team. That’s a red flag. You don’t think so.

The other coaches you mentioned had people interested in their services to be a head coach. Schiano was coaching HS after flaming out at TB. Then, Ohio State hired him. He had Tennessee interested and that’s about it. But, I guess you think tepid interest in Schiano as a HC being troublesome is an invalid concern too...

Success in the SEC doesn't mean a damn thing here.

Isn't the inability to hire a top staff one of your main complaints about coaches who get promoted from G5 jobs?

I feel like you discredit it on assumption in one case but refuse to credit it on assumption in the other case.

Probably. Everyone talks themselves into certain candidates.

If the gap is so large between the staff Schiano can assemble and the staffs the young coordinators can assemble, then Schiano is a slam dunk. I just do not believe that to be the case.

So #2,#3,#5 and #6 aren’t important?

Ultimately, my opinion is also irrelevant. But looking at the candidates, Schiano has the most upside with the least risk, IMO.

So #2,#3,#5 and #6 aren’t important?

Ultimately, my opinion is also irrelevant. But looking at the candidates, Schiano has the most upside with the least risk, IMO.

They are important, hence why I did not question those arguments. Those were all pretty straightforward.

Probably. Everyone talks themselves into certain candidates.

If the gap is so large between the staff Schiano can assemble and the staffs the young coordinators can assemble, then Schiano is a slam dunk. I just do not believe that to be the case.
It's impossible for us to know. I think it matters if the guy's a networker who has worked more than a couple places. It's why I assumed that if we ended up with Fisch he'd pull together a very high level, respectable staff. I also get concerned when the staff isn't going to be people the coach has actually worked with - which can happen with a career under pretty much 1 head coach or something. Then you're relying on friends the coach has made at conferences who he's never worked with or screening candidates off resumes others are recommending to him. Some of the staff can be new blood type relationships to keep things fresh. I think that's healthy. But there also have to be a few guys who are in that "know him, trust him, have worked great with him" category.

Back