What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Greg Schiano - AHC/DC Ohio State University

It's impossible for us to know. I think it matters if the guy's a networker who has worked more than a couple places. It's why I assumed that if we ended up with Fisch he'd pull together a very high level, respectable staff. I also get concerned when the staff isn't going to be people the coach has actually worked with - which can happen with a career under pretty much 1 head coach or something. Then you're relying on friends the coach has made at conferences who he's never worked with or screening candidates off resumes others are recommending to him. Some of the staff can be new blood type relationships to keep things fresh. I think that's healthy. But there also have to be a few guys who are in that "know him, trust him, have worked great with him" category.

It is definitely a fine line. I think experienced head coaches can get very stubborn holding on to "their guys" in the face of criticism.

When evaluating coaches who are assistants, I think it is appropriate to ask how they’ve done in their role as an assistant. It has gotten worse even with a top 3 talent team. That’s a red flag. You don’t think so.

The other coaches you mentioned had people interested in their services to be a head coach. Schiano was coaching HS after flaming out at TB. Then, Ohio State hired him. He had Tennessee interested and that’s about it. But, I guess you think tepid interest in Schiano as a HC being troublesome is an invalid concern too...
Ok so you don’t like candidates who have suffered a bad loss or who haven’t received multiple head coaching offers, so who do you like for the job?

Ok so you don’t like candidates who have suffered a bad loss or who haven’t received multiple head coaching offers, so who do you like for the job?
Rick George needs to find us someone who has never been part of an upset loss in his career, never had a season where the statistical performance of his offense or defense was below normal standards (regardless of whether it was still winning football), and has never relied on superior talent than opponents to win 9+ games in a season.

Rick George needs to find us someone who has never been part of an upset loss in his career, never had a season where the statistical performance of his offense or defense was below normal standards (regardless of whether it was still winning football), and has never relied on superior talent than opponents to win 9+ games in a season.
And being offered just 1 SEC head coaching job is too tepid of interest for us to get really excited, we need the guy to be fighting off HC jobs to take ours.

I’m with Duff on the ‘don’t assume line of thinking’.

Did anyone ask Mike MacIntyre if he was bringing his whole SJSU staff with him? Did that worry anyone to have 50% of the staff not recruiting at all and the other 50% being below average?

Did anyone ask Embree if he was concerned about having two first time coordinators, as a first time head coach, and a collection of assistants that had never worked together?

Did anyone ask Dan Hawkins if he was locking in his all star OC when coming to Boulder?

I think RG and Lance Carl are ten times the man Mike Bohn is, but don’t burn us four times please.

I’m with Duff on the ‘don’t assume line of thinking’.

Did anyone ask Mike MacIntyre if he was bringing his whole SJSU staff with him? Did that worry anyone to have 50% of the staff not recruiting at all and the other 50% being below average?

Did anyone ask Embree if he was concerned about having two first time coordinators, as a first time head coach, and a collection of assistants that had never worked together?

Did anyone ask Dan Hawkins if he was locking in his all star OC when coming to Boulder?

I think RG and Lance Carl are ten times the man Mike Bohn is, but don’t burn us four times please.
Mike Bohn was a moron. This is Rick George's first and probably only chance to make the hire that will ultimately define his legacy as CUAD. Let's not compare the four situations, please.

You are not engaging what I am actually saying so I will just stop responding to you on this one.

Edit:

Ohio State scoring defenses under Schiano...
2016 — #3 14.2 ppg
2017 — #22 19.9 ppg
2018 — #57 25.8 ppg

Last edited:
You are not engaging what I am actually saying so I will just stop responding to you on this one.

Edit:

Ohio State scoring defenses under Schiano...
2016 — #3 14.2 ppg
2017 — #22 19.9 ppg
2018 — #57 25.8 ppg
You said the loss to Purdue made him “radioactive for us” but don’t similarly hold Urban Meyer accountable for that performance. You also didn’t like him because interest in him as a HC was “tepid” despite being offered and accepting a HC offer from Tennessee. That’s what you said and what I was engaging you on. If now you don’t like him because his defense has performed below expectations the last 2 years instead of eliminating any coach who has suffered a bad loss then at least that’s a reasonable reason, so good for you.

I still don’t get the obsession with the defensive rankings for a guy we’re not hiring as a DC when he was a successful college HC for 11 years, but to each their own.

Does anyone think that Schiano would be the DC at OSU in 2018 if there was not a cloud from PSU over his head?

I certainly don't. If seems like if there was anything more, it would have come out. DC at OSU is a high profile job. This will have to be proactively addressed and slammed shut, if hired. Schiano is the most qualified hire out there in my book, so bring it on!
First sentence: HAHAHAHA!

Oh wait, you’re serious? Dude, Meyer is the head coach.

You said the loss to Purdue made him “radioactive for us” but don’t similarly hold Urban Meyer accountable for that performance. You also didn’t like him because interest in him as a HC was “tepid” despite being offered and accepting a HC offer from Tennessee. That’s what you said and what I was engaging you on. If now you don’t like him because his defense has performed below expectations the last 2 years instead of eliminating any coach who has suffered a bad loss then at least that’s a reasonable reason, so good for you.

I still don’t get the obsession with the defensive rankings for a guy we’re not hiring as a DC when he was a successful college HC for 11 years, but to each their own.

He was hired by a bad program and then showed how bad they are with how the AD attempted to do so in secret. Who else was banging down Schiano’s door to be the HC when he was coaching high school for two years or the seasons when he was a DC at Ohio State? He isn’t a high demand option in spite of “11 years of success?”

The loss is radioactive because it exemplifies how his unit got worse. Much worse. It was the defense’s fault they lost. The oregon state loss for macintyre was similar. Then, I see how his defense got lit up all season by other powerhouses like Maryland and oregon state. Difference between urb and macintyre is that urb has won multiple national titles. So, he gets rope. Should he fire schiano? Probably. He won’t. That doesn’t make it a bad decision.

Schiano is not a good option for CU. I am evaluating the only important job he’s had in the last 5 years. Thats why I focuse on tOSU defensive ranks. His unit has regressed. In your view, he should get credit only for the good he did a decade ago and no demerit for being a bad candidate and mediocre DC today.

Last edited:
OK, so he was coaching HS for two years because that was the best job he could get, but then he became the DC at Ohio State? Northern Colorado didn't have a HC vacancy that year so he HAD to do a high school gig?

He was hired by a bad program and then showed how bad they are with how the AD attempted to do so in secret. Who else was banging down Schiano’s door to be the HC when he was coaching high school for two years or the seasons when he was a DC at Ohio State? He isn’t a high demand option in spite of “11 years of success?”

The loss is radioactive because it exemplifies how his unit got worse. Much worse. It was the defense’s fault they lost. The oregon state loss for macintyre was similar. Then, I see how his defense got lit up all season by other powerhouses like Maryland and oregon state. Difference between urb and macintyre is that urb has won multiple national titles. So, he gets rope. Should he fire schiano? Probably. He won’t. That doesn’t make it a bad decision.

Schiano is not a good option for CU. I am evaluating the only important job he’s had in the last 5 years. Thats why I focuse on tOSU defensive ranks. His unit has regressed. In your view, he should get credit only for the good he did a decade ago and no demerit for being a bad candidate and mediocre DC today.
Oh my. Bless your heart.

Lupoi was under NCAA investigation at one point. Lake coached in the NFL, which basically chews coaches up and spits them out. They have both faced adversity.
Not the kind I’m referring to, but ok.

Reading between the lines, I don’t get the impression that Schiano was ever a consideration here. I’d like to be wrong on that.

I think Schiano is more likely since he would be needed right away at CU for recruiting and Alex Grinch could take over as DC for the Buckeyes.

The question is will there be an uprising by CU students like at Tennessee last year?

I think Schiano is more likely since he would be needed right away at CU for recruiting and Alex Grinch could take over as DC for the Buckeyes.

The question is will there be an uprising by CU students like at Tennessee last year?

There is nothing to suggest Schiano is connected to the CU job at all right now. What are you talking about with "more likely?"

Back