What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jedd Fisch - Offensive Assistant LA Rams (NFL)

Yes and he’s bounced all over the place. Is he a pain in the ass to work with? Does he get antsy when he’s in one place too long? Does he just not know if he prefers college or the NFL? Is he just ambitious and always looking for the next gig? I have no idea but it’s a very unusual trajectory.

But then I find it curious you talk about an "offensive system designed for elite athletes" when you know he's bounced around between college and the pros a lot and has as a varied CV as you can possibly ask for and has worked for all different sorts of coaches.

But then I find it curious you talk about an "offensive system designed for elite athletes" when you know he's bounced around between college and the pros a lot and has as a varied CV as you can possibly ask for and has worked for all different sorts of coaches.
At his core, he's a Spurrier disciple. Everything else is just adding tricks to the bag that build on that foundation.

Why is it curious? I’m not sure the offense he runs with the Rams is all that applicable to us. Very few college programs have the athletes to run a pro system.

Why is it curious? I’m not sure the offense he runs with the Rams is all that applicable to us. Very few college programs have the athletes to run a pro system.
What about the offense he ran at UCLA or the one he ran at Michigan or the one he ran at Miami?

Your comment made it sound, in a way, like that's the only offense he knows and can apply and I don't think that's true. In Fisch's case I really see it as broadening his horizon and getting hands on experience whenever he can.

What about the offense he ran at UCLA or the one he ran at Michigan or the one he ran at Miami?
I really don’t know - he never stayed more than 1-2 seasons and none propelled him to a HC position. Why is that? Maybe he’s fantastic, I’m open minded but his career path is so weird to me.

Your comment made it sound, in a way, like that's the only offense he knows and can apply and I don't think that's true. In Fisch's case I really see it as broadening his horizon and getting hands on experience whenever he can.
Not what I was getting at.

I really don’t know - he never stayed more than 1-2 seasons and none propelled him to a HC position. Why is that? Maybe he’s fantastic, I’m open minded but his career path is so weird to me.
He's only 42 years old. I'm more impressed that he's had those jobs at his age. (Plus OC with Jacksonville in the NFL and in college with Minnesota.) If you listen to the long interview I linked, he walks through all the career stops and his rationale for taking each of those jobs. It makes a lot of sense when you consider him as a guy who highly values relationships and as a guy who is driven to seize opportunities.

How he got his start in coaching really impressed me. As a student at Florida, he like many others applied for any student position that there was with Spurrier's football team. Equipment manager, water boy, whatever. He didn't get them. But he wanted to get into football coaching so he found out where Spurrier parked his car and left over 400 personal notes on his windshield over the next year until Spurrier hired him as basically the kid to get the coaches coffee. That's the kind of guy you're getting with Fisch - someone who says dream so big that others think you're crazy and then do things no one else is doing so that you make them happen.

He's only 42 years old. I'm more impressed that he's had those jobs at his age. (Plus OC with Jacksonville in the NFL and in college with Minnesota.) If you listen to the long interview I linked, he walks through all the career stops and his rationale for taking each of those jobs. It makes a lot of sense when you consider him as a guy who highly values relationships and as a guy who is driven to seize opportunities.

How he got his start in coaching really impressed me. As a student at Florida, he like many others applied for any student position that there was with Spurrier's football team. Equipment manager, water boy, whatever. He didn't get them. But he wanted to get into football coaching so he found out where Spurrier parked his car and left over 400 personal notes on his windshield over the next year until Spurrier hired him as basically the kid to get the coaches coffee. That's the kind of guy you're getting with Fisch - someone who says dream so big that others think you're crazy and then do things no one else is doing so that you make them happen.
You sold me.

Not sure how much experience you have with the careers of "high flyers" under the age of about 40 in many professions these days.

Their careers don't "make sense" from a traditional "climb the ladder" point of view.

But, if you look at their careers instead as always making a positive contribution where they are, while also gaining a wide variety of experience and knowledge until they get to where they want to be, it looks a little different - and frankly it's pretty similar to the types of resumes I see often (and from people I'm always impressed with the quality of their work).

The big question is what are his next and ultimate career goals? None of us can know that.

He might want to be coach for life at a championship winning school a la Bowden at FSU. Or he might want to win a natty at multiple schools in multiple conferences. Or he might want to win both a natty and a subpar bowl. Or he might want to make a gagillion dollars and retire early.

No one knows but him.

CU could be the next step on the path he wants to take. It's even possible that CU could be last step he wants to take and he's looking forward to settling down to win multiple championships and being coach for life.

His career path isn't traditional, but very few are these days (in any profession).

Last edited:
Not sure how much experience you have with the careers of "high flyers" under the age of about 40 in many professions these days.

Their careers don't "make sense" from a traditional "climb the ladder" point of view.

But, if you look at their careers instead as always making a positive contribution where they are, while also gaining a wide variety of experience and knowledge until they get to where they want to be, it looks a little different - and frankly it's pretty similar to the types of resumes I see often (and from people I'm always impressed with the quality of their work).

The big question is what are his next and ultimate career goals? None of us can know that.

He might want to be coach for life at a championship winning school la Bowden at FSU. Or he might want to win a natty at multiple schools in multiple conferences. Our he might want win both a natty and a subpar bowl. Or he might want make a gagillion dollars and retire early.

No one knows but him. CU could be the next step on the path he wants to take. It's even possible that CU could be last step he wants to take and he's looking forward to settling down to win multiple championships and being coach for life.

His career path isn't traditional, but very few are these days (in any profession).
I’m not concerned or comparing his career arc to “other professions” - that’s irrelevant, he’s a football coach and his career path is unusual. He may be a fine coach, but I think it’s fair to wonder why he seems to move on from jobs relatively quickly. Nik may have answered and I haven’t watched the video he referenced but the resumes you see aren’t really applicable (no offense).

I’m not concerned or comparing his career arc to “other professions” - that’s irrelevant, he’s a football coach and his career path is unusual. He may be a fine coach, but I think it’s fair to wonder why he seems to move on from jobs relatively quickly. Nik may have answered and I haven’t watched the video he referenced but the resumes you see aren’t really applicable (no offense).
I'm saying it's a generational thing, not a profession thing.

You're going to start seeing this type of resume more and more in every profession, football included - especially in the uber-talented and driven people.

You're going to start seeing this type of resume more and more in every profession, football included - especially in the uber-talented and driven people.
Yep. 1 or 2 years at a place and if they don't put you in the equivalent of the president role then you're ready to move on and learn what you can from a new mentor.

This guy is the biggest wildcard of the group.
Yep.

One thing I do know is that if he wants the job he is going to go after it. Allegedly he submitted a detailed written plan to KU that impressed the people there, but they wanted to go with a big name and there was that Long-Miles relationship.

So he’s a damn millennial!

Yep.

One thing I do know is that if he wants the job he is going to go after it. Allegedly he submitted a detailed written plan to KU that impressed the people there, but they wanted to go with a big name and there was that Long-Miles relationship.

That's the kind of thing that would get RG's interest in a big way.

It's why I picked Fisch in the "call your shot" thread.

It's the type of thing that will impress RG, that will really impress any committee he's put together (committees, by their nature, inherently love that stuff - which really helps the next one on this list), and that will make getting regent buy-in easier.

It's why I picked Fisch in the "call your shot" thread.

It's the type of thing that will impress RG, that will really impress any committee he's put together (committees, by their nature, inherently love that stuff - which really helps the next one on this list), and that will make getting regent buy-in easier.
I don't think RG is putting together a committee.

As a minor note, Fisch doesn’t run the offense for the LAR. He is a “senior offensive assistant”. Essentially, he is a consultant who does quality control and provides feedback for McVay and his passing game/run game coordinators who run the offense.

As a minor note, Fisch doesn’t run the offense for the LAR. He is a “senior offensive assistant”. Essentially, he is a consultant who does quality control and provides feedback for McVay and his passing game/run game coordinators who run the offense.
Yep. He's in a "needed a job" job. It was in town and connected him with good people. He'd be out the door in a week if CU came calling. Dude's not going to be there through a playoff run if he is offered a HC job.

I suspect that Fisch is going to make it very hard for RG not to hire him.

Plus clock management (see tweet earlier).

I don't think RG is putting together a committee.
I hope not either, but again see the last one on my list: the regents are a committee, and committees inherently like concrete things like fully fleshed out written plans that they can refer to in meeting minutes to justify their decisions.

Yep. He's in a "needed a job" job. It was in town and connected him with good people. He'd be out the door in a week if CU came calling. Dude's not going to be there through a playoff run if he is offered a HC job.

I suspect that Fisch is going to make it very hard for RG not to hire him.
Still seems odd that someone who is allegedly a brilliant offensive mind and who has coached for some of the best in the business and who has been an OC at some very high profile programs had to take a job managing clock for the Rams.

I know I’m more skeptical on him than most and I could be waaaay wrong (I liked Doug Nussmeier once upon a time and thought we should have hired Bob Diaco instead of Mac, so what do I know), but something about his inability to stay in one place or land a HC job to now doesn’t add up to me.

Still seems odd that someone who is allegedly a brilliant offensive mind and who has coached for some of the best in the business and who has been an OC at some very high profile programs had to take a job managing clock for the Rams.

I know I’m more skeptical on him than most and I could be waaaay wrong (I liked Doug Nussmeier once upon a time and thought we should have hired Bob Diaco instead of Mac, so what do I know), but something about his inability to stay in one place or land a HC job to now doesn’t add up to me.
I think he would have had the UCLA job if Chip hadn't been interested, fwiw.

Back