What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jedd Fisch - Offensive Assistant LA Rams (NFL)

Still seems odd that someone who is allegedly a brilliant offensive mind and who has coached for some of the best in the business and who has been an OC at some very high profile programs had to take a job managing clock for the Rams.

I know I’m more skeptical on him than most and I could be waaaay wrong (I liked Doug Nussmeier once upon a time and thought we should have hired Bob Diaco instead of Mac, so what do I know), but something about his inability to stay in one place or land a HC job to now doesn’t add up to me.

Had to? Maybe he just wanted to work with McVay, who is the hot **** in the NFL rn. Maybe he had other opportunities but figured this was the best thing for what he wanted to do. And saying he had an "inability" to stay in one place implies he kept getting fired.

You seem to try to see things with him in the worst possible way.

Had to? Maybe he just wanted to work with McVay, who is the hot **** in the NFL rn. Maybe he had other opportunities but figured this was the best thing for what he wanted to do. And saying he had an "inability" to stay in one place implies he kept getting fired.

You seem to try to see things with him in the worst possible way.
When I say inability, it could be he was fired or it could be that head coaches didn’t bring him along job to job or it could just mean he chose to move on his own for whatever reason, I really don’t know.

Maybe being the game clock manager gets him a college HC gig and he’ll be totally justified in that career move, it’s just unusual - his is an atypical career arc, that’s all I’m saying.

When I say inability, it could be he was fired or it could be that head coaches didn’t bring him along job to job or it could just mean he chose to move on his own for whatever reason, I really don’t know.

Maybe being the game clock manager gets him a college HC gig and he’ll be totally justified in that career move, it’s just unusual - his is an atypical career arc, that’s all I’m saying.
I'm comfortable in assuming that he hasn't changed jobs a lot and continued to get big jobs because his job performance has sucked.

He's only 42 years old. I'm more impressed that he's had those jobs at his age. (Plus OC with Jacksonville in the NFL and in college with Minnesota.) If you listen to the long interview I linked, he walks through all the career stops and his rationale for taking each of those jobs. It makes a lot of sense when you consider him as a guy who highly values relationships and as a guy who is driven to seize opportunities.

How he got his start in coaching really impressed me. As a student at Florida, he like many others applied for any student position that there was with Spurrier's football team. Equipment manager, water boy, whatever. He didn't get them. But he wanted to get into football coaching so he found out where Spurrier parked his car and left over 400 personal notes on his windshield over the next year until Spurrier hired him as basically the kid to get the coaches coffee. That's the kind of guy you're getting with Fisch - someone who says dream so big that others think you're crazy and then do things no one else is doing so that you make them happen.
There is a lot here that I am not as impressed as other coaches. However, what Fisch did to get into coaching tells me the dude will do almost anything to win. I’m starting to move him in my top 3. He certainly has the connections.

questionable clock management at the end by McVay. Obviously getting bad takes from someone regarding clock management.

LAKE!

I really respect Nik and Jens intelligent and thought out opinions on this board, but after reading all of this thread it seems like you're both trying to talk yourself into liking him the most and making some pretty big leaps without insight where SINKRATZ is questioning him.

To chalk his irratic movement into a positive instead of a bit of a red flag is a leap. Not that it isn't a possibility, but in a profession where guys have each others' backs and hitch their wagons to guys more than any other career I can think of, I think you have to assume it's more likely negative than positive (unless proof otherwise) that his path has jumped from so many coaching trees. Not to mention, if you've been a coordinator or head coach for an NFL team, you basically are guaranteed to be able to get a high level job for years no matter how bad you sucked. I get that the Rams are kicking ass, but like SINKRATZ said, he's not even a position coach or coordinator. He does clock management and analysis. He may be the real deal, but I think we need to pump the brakes here a bit on him a bit.

In case people were wondering about his duties with the Rams

I was just about to ask what the hell an "offensive analyst" does and what his game duties are, and how that translates to the head coaching job of, what should be, a competitive P5 football team. This tweet doesn't help.

Not sure how much experience you have with the careers of "high flyers" under the age of about 40 in many professions these days.

He might want to be coach for life at a championship winning school a la Bowden at FSU. Or he might want to win a natty at multiple schools in multiple conferences. Or he might want to win both a natty and a subpar bowl. Or he might want to make a gagillion dollars and retire early.

No one knows but him.).
...or coach for a life championship at a winning school; a la Tennessee.

I really respect Nik and Jens intelligent and thought out opinions on this board, but after reading all of this thread it seems like you're both trying to talk yourself into liking him the most and making some pretty big leaps without insight where SINKRATZ is questioning him.

To chalk his irratic movement into a positive instead of a bit of a red flag is a leap. Not that it isn't a possibility, but in a profession where guys have each others' backs and hitch their wagons to guys more than any other career I can think of, I think you have to assume it's more likely negative than positive (unless proof otherwise) that his path has jumped from so many coaching trees. Not to mention, if you've been a coordinator or head coach for an NFL team, you basically are guaranteed to be able to get a high level job for years no matter how bad you sucked. I get that the Rams are kicking ass, but like SINKRATZ said, he's not even a position coach or coordinator. He does clock management and analysis. He may be the real deal, but I think we need to pump the brakes here a bit on him a bit.
Agree with everything Big Iron Buff and Sinkratz have been posting. The other red flag I would add for Fisch is that he seems overly eager to now leave yet another job and hop to something else. If he is truly pitching himself to every school with an opening, that level of desperation is worrisome. It feels like a lot of this sudden hype about Fisch is a result of internal generation on his and his agents part. They are trying to create a buzz and get some interested parties. I hope RG goes in a different direction.

I totally get why someone might have that impression. I am also about as certain as I can be that if Fisch goes after the CU job he will end up on the very short list of guys RG considers hiring. It would be hard not to hire him because he'll work harder to get the job than anyone and be more creative & persistent than anyone in the process.

I think the concerns people have with Fisch or any other coach jumping a year or two after being hired are a bit irrational. Sure this is a possibility, but think about what this means. From CU, a clear cut upgrade would an NFL HC or a Blue Blood P5 school (and sure a few non Blue Bloods that have some coin to spend).

If any of those situations are willing to offer the CU coach a job a few years after he has taken over means: he has won a lot of games, that program will pay CU his buyout, and CU will be in great position to hire a top line coach.

Sure, everyone wants to find their own Nick Saban, but a coach being successful enough that someone wants to throw a ton of cash at him is far from a worst case scenario.

I wouldn't say I'm trying to talk myself into something, I can see why his resume would be concerning to some, but then so is mine. I am admittedly playing devil's advocate here a little, but I am trying to point out that some of the things can be seen as a positive as well and not solely as a negative. I haven't watched the video Nik's repeatedly referred to, but if he can coherently explain his reasoning for every step and why he took it, like Nik says, what's so bad about it? A resume only tells you so much, context is also (and always) important and I wouldn't discredit and rule out someone just because his resume might not be what people are accustomed to and therefore mainly want to see.

I think the concerns people have with Fisch or any other coach jumping a year or two after being hired are a bit irrational. Sure this is a possibility, but think about what this means. From CU, a clear cut upgrade would an NFL HC or a Blue Blood P5 school (and sure a few non Blue Bloods that have some coin to spend).

If any of those situations are willing to offer the CU coach a job a few years after he has taken over means: he has won a lot of games, that program will pay CU his buyout, and CU will be in great position to hire a top line coach.

Sure, everyone wants to find their own Nick Saban, but a coach being successful enough that someone wants to throw a ton of cash at him is far from a worst case scenario.

That, too. End of the day you never know about that with anyone until that guy is in a situation where he actually has to make a decision whether he wants to stay or leave. The guy with the stablest resume who's been at like 2 schools in a 20 year coaching career may just as well decide to jump ship also if he feels it's the right fit for him at that moment in time or an opportunity he can't pass up on.

That, too. End of the day you never know about that with anyone until that guy is in a situation where he actually has to make a decision whether he wants to stay or leave. The guy with the stablest resume who's been at like 2 schools in a 20 year coaching career may just as well decide to jump ship also if he feels it's the right fit for him at that moment in time or an opportunity he can't pass up on.
Yep. Heck, McCartney is loyal as Lassie and he almost left for frikin SMU. I agree that a vagabond past makes it more likely someone would be more apt to leave at the first interesting opportunity, but there are no guarantees and I'd actually be a bit reluctant to pursue any coach who wasn't reaching for the brass ring professionally. Don't we want a guy who is trying to reach the top of the profession? It's on CU to make it so that a coach feels like he can do that here if he's having a ton of success. I think CU could make it so that the only job Fisch would leave for would be an NFL HC job.

I wouldn't say I'm trying to talk myself into something, I can see why his resume would be concerning to some, but then so is mine. I am admittedly playing devil's advocate here a little, but I am trying to point out that some of the things can be seen as a positive as well and not solely as a negative. I haven't watched the video Nik's repeatedly referred to, but if he can coherently explain his reasoning for every step and why he took it, like Nik says, what's so bad about it? A resume only tells you so much, context is also (and always) important and I wouldn't discredit and rule out someone just because his resume might not be what people are accustomed to and therefore mainly want to see.
Mine too - and I think we're both right about the same age as Fisch: in many ways it's a generational thing. It's something that was always there, but it's becoming more and more common (especially with people who are 10+ years younger than us).

I'd also toss out there it can also be the case that someone with a "vagabond" past is more likely to stay for a long time if the fit is right. A lot of guys like that get to a point where they want to "settle in" to a place and a position for a while.

I totally get why someone might have that impression. I am also about as certain as I can be that if Fisch goes after the CU job he will end up on the very short list of guys RG considers hiring. It would be hard not to hire him because he'll work harder to get the job than anyone and be more creative & persistent than anyone in the process.
Nik I respect your options a lot, but he’ll work harder and be more persistent than anyone else in the process?
B130A848-64AE-497D-A17F-643773E80E51.jpeg
This really sounds like the kind of thing you say when you’ve made up your mind on the guy.

The concern with his jumping around has nothing to do with fear he might leave us - if he improves the program and parlays that into a bigger job, that’s good for everyone. The concern is why hasn’t anyone tried to keep him more than a year or two and why at this stage in his career is he managing clock? There may be reasonable answers, but it’s a legit concern.

Yeah, my concern around him jumping from spot to spot isn't that he will bolt from CU if a better offer comes around, that is a worry with any coach. My concern is that maybe nobody can stand the ****ing guy. Maybe his work ethic is **** and he wears out his welcome. Perhaps he has a reasonable explanation for all of it. Who knows, but the red flags are there.

Nik I respect your options a lot, but he’ll work harder and be more persistent than anyone else in the process?
View attachment 28264
This really sounds like the kind of thing you say when you’ve made up your mind on the guy.
It is the strong impression of who this guy is based on his history. How he landed a student assistant job with Spurrier at Florida. How he jumped on a plane and found a way to attend the OJ trial while in pre-law. How he paid his way to go to every coaches camp and convention in the nation as he finished as a GA and was looking for work, building his relationship network. How he was the only guy who submitted a detailed written plan to Long at KU on how he'd build that program.

I'm not just saying stuff to say stuff. The guy is a bulldog in pursuit of his dreams.

I think the concerns people have with Fisch or any other coach jumping a year or two after being hired are a bit irrational.

The concern with his jumping around has nothing to do with fear he might leave us - if he improves the program and parlays that into a bigger job, that’s good for everyone. The concern is why hasn’t anyone tried to keep him more than a year or two and why at this stage in his career is he managing clock? There may be reasonable answers, but it’s a legit concern.

Yeah I don't know if the was directed at me RollTad, if so you've greatly misunderstood my point, as it's the same as SINKRATZ. If a guy leaves after even one season it can be a good for the program if he's won a lot of games and left the job better than when he came.

I get the moving around thing with the younger generation. I'm younger, and I've moved around a decent amount. But I usually have been asked to move by a previous good boss or colleague I liked who thought I was good and wanted me to come along or recommended me to one of their colleagues. I know coaches do this a ton, and a bit of a lack of this in Fisch's resume is what concerns me. Like SINKRATZ said, is this because they don't really want him or feel they need him? Maybe he's just trying to grow his tree. Maybe he's been recommended by his old bosses and we don't know. I just am saying that taking his word for it in an interview FROM HIM that it's because he works harder than anyone is a stretch with the info we're privy to.

Yeah I don't know if the was directed at me RollTad, if so you've greatly misunderstood my point, as it's the same as SINKRATZ. If a guy leaves after even one season it can be a good for the program if he's won a lot of games and left the job better than when he came.

I get the moving around thing with the younger generation. I'm younger, and I've moved around a decent amount. But I usually have been asked to move by a previous good boss or colleague I liked who thought I was good and wanted me to come along or recommended me to one of their colleagues. I know coaches do this a ton, and a bit of a lack of this in Fisch's resume is what concerns me. Like SINKRATZ said, is this because they don't really want him or feel they need him? Maybe he's just trying to grow his tree. Maybe he's been recommended by his old bosses and we don't know. I just am saying that taking his word for it in an interview FROM HIM that it's because he works harder than anyone is a stretch with the info we're privy to.
Wasn't directed at anyone in particular, I've just seen it mentioned multiple times. Thanks for the explanation, I understand the concern from that side of things.

I have a good feeling about Fisch. Just a feeling that he's the one and someone that RG would like; maybe for same reason all the coaches and people he's connected with promote him.

I have a good feeling about Fisch. Just a feeling that he's the one and someone that RG would like; maybe for same reason all the coaches and people he's connected with promote him.
Yeah. I'm in the Holgorsen camp and also would like Babers. I'm pretty damn high on Tucker and Day. But I'm thinking that at the end fo the day that Fisch will be the guy and I'm more than ok with that. I think he's got the potential to be a superstar.

Last edited:
Fisch in his own words

Grabbed Spurrier's attention for GA job by leaving a few hundred letters on his car, Spurrier pulled some strings to get him a job with Capers at the Texans when they started off as a franchise (promotion), became friends with David Shaw during camps, Shaw gets him assistant QB/WR job under Billick when he gets QB coach in Baltimore (promotion), Billick and staff get fired, Mike Shanahan calls, becomes WR coach in Denver (promotion), Broncos TE coach Brewster takes Minnesota job, takes him with him as QB/OC (promotion), Broncos old OC Jeremy Bates goes to Seattle to work for Pete Carroll, wants to take him (sideways move but to NFL), Al Golden wants him as his new OC at Miami FL, cites Miami status during his childhood, Gus Bradley leaves Seattle to become Jacksonville HC, offers him OC job (promotion), offense sucks, gets fired, joins Jim Harbaugh at Michigan.

When you hear him talk about it the only strange thing is the flip flopping between Minnesota, Seattle and Miami FL with the move to Miami being the really strange thing although he got control over his own offense again there. The Seattle thing can be explained by the lure of Carroll plus there was a relationship with Jeremy Bates from his Denver days. The only real red flag is that he got fired in Jacksonville.

From listening to him talk about his career plus his backup plan as a criminal defense lawyer etc. he seems very determined to me and knows what he wants.

On his firing in Jacksonville

HC Gus Bradley felt Fisch was overloading Bortles with too much of the offense at once and would have instead preferred an approach in which Bortles was given measured doses and had the package expanded only as he grew comfortable with the offense.

"I took the mindset [Monday] that Jedd was going to be my offensive coordinator next year," Bortles told the Times-Union. "I told Jedd from day one that I wanted him to coach me hard, and that was what I was accustomed to from playing for George O'Leary at UCF.
"Jedd treated me very fairly and, when we did have disagreements, we were able to talk through them, work things out and get a solution or compromise."

Having bortles as your QB would make most OC's look bad in the NFL.
I think he had Gabbert the first year, too.

This kind of thing happens all the time in the NFL. New HC spends a very high draft pick on a franchise QB. His future is tied to that QB. If that QB isn't looking good under the OC & QB Coach, you have to make a change. In hindsight we now know that Bortles simply is not a very good NFL quarterback.

There really isn't

Spurrier got him the job with Capers in Houston, David Shaw (who he befriended in camps) took him to Baltimore, Shanahan he had no connection with (but Shanahan is no idiot), Tim Brewster (TE coach in Denver) took him to Minnesota, Jeremy Bates (Broncos OC) took him to Seattle, Golden he had no direct connection with but cited The U as the big factor, the Seattle DC Gus Bradley took him to Jacksonville. The coaches he had no previous connection with were Mike Shanahan at the Denver Broncos, Al Golden at Miami FL, John Harbaugh at Michigan and Sean McVay with the Rams (although Brian Xanders is a link here from his Denver days). If Mike Shanahan and John Harbaugh hire you with no previous connection, I think that speaks volumes and not in a negative way.

Back