What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell - WR coach Miami Dolphins

I find it funny that this forum and the media threw out 50 plus different names but Dorrell not even mentioned until the deal was sealed

That’s a bad argument. UGA was very invested in getting back to elite status. They rolled out the big checks for Kirby and his desired staff.
And Saban decided he didn’t need to match the offer to retain Tucker.

Dude, I’m ****ing with you. My point is that Tucker was largely very mediocre in the NFL, never got passed a position coach on Sabans staff (at any program), and never was offered or considered for a HC role until last year.

Dude, I’m ****ing with you. My point is that Tucker was largely very mediocre in the NFL, never got passed a position coach on Sabans staff (at any program), and never was offered or considered for a HC role until last year.
A lot of qualifiers in there to help your argument

Chev was not a good OC.

Had this been Jim Mora, its not a move I'd have favored. If you put him as OC under a guy he (from what I've read) considers a mentor, I think its a different conversation. RG gets the benefit of the doubt here-I don't think he does this if Dorrell doesn't have a plan to fill the holes on staff with stud recruiters and energy guys.

Melvin's action's 10 days ago explain why it took him so long to get a head coaching job.

I will say red flag #1 will be if he rolls in and immediately names Chev as his play calling OC. Maybe get a real OC and give Chev passing game coordinator or something.

Well Mel was the DC for very talented programs in the NFL and NCAA, and was also an interim HC for Jacksonville. Comparing what he did in the NFL or NCAA to Dorrell is apples and oranges.
He was DC one time in his college career (one season as co-DC before that). DC in the NFL and the consensus from those fan bases, particularly the Bears, was that he wasn’t very good. Interim HC in Jacksonville... ok?? Eric Studesville was the Interim HC in Denver when McDaniels got fired. Who cares?

My point was that Manhattan kept saying that Dorrell never made it back to OC after Vanderbilt and therefore it was a problem. Nevermind the fact that KD had already been a HC and OC in his 30’s. Tucker never made it to be a HC until last year.

He was an elite recruiter. He doesn’t get that job without real credentials.

Colorado had its best recruiting class in a decade under MT. You may not like him, but you’re just making **** up if you think KD’s resume sniffs MT’s.

He was a good recruiter but he was also at schools that have significantly more resources invested into recruiting.

Also, this class was good for Colorado but it ranked 35th nationally. KD had higher ranked classes at UCLA. KD also has a better winning percentage as a head coach than Tucker.

Mel Tucker is getting paid like one of the best coaches in the country but his career record is 5-7 and when performances has been all on him (DC with an offensive head coach) he failed miserably. Maybe Tucker has it figured out and will thrive at MSU or maybe he’ll fall on his face again. Not my problem.

But the notion that Tucker was a hot commodity and slam dunk for head coach when CU hired him is not true. He had questions too. And considering some of his in game decisions last year he still does.

He was a good recruiter but he was also at schools that have significantly more resources invested into recruiting.

Also, this class was good for Colorado but it ranked 35th nationally. KD had higher ranked classes at UCLA. KD also has a better winning percentage as a head coach than Tucker.

Mel Tucker is getting paid like one of the best coaches in the country but his career record is 5-7 and when performances has been all on him (DC with an offensive head coach) he failed miserably. Maybe Tucker has it figured out and will thrive at MSU or maybe he’ll fall on his face again. Not my problem.

But the notion that Tucker was a hot commodity and slam dunk for head coach when CU hired him is not true. He had questions too. And considering some of his in game decisions last year he still does.
I see you’re clueless if you think that MT wasn’t a top notch recruiter. You’re just spewing nonsense about why you don’t like him. Good luck.

I think this will turn out better than most of you all think. Is he a great hire? Maybe not but he’s a better option than a lot of the names that have been spewed on here. I think he will do well here. Shoulder to shoulder right? This is our guy one way or the other so might as well support him

I see you’re clueless if you think that MT wasn’t a top notch recruiter. You’re just spewing nonsense about why you don’t like him. Good luck.
MT was is certainly a good recruiter. However you also have to give Chev credit for where it's due on this class. Our successes in Texas and AZ seemed to be due to Chev and not MT.

MT was is certainly a good recruiter. However you also have to give Chev credit for where it's due on this class. Our successes in Texas and AZ seemed to be due to Chev and not MT.
If you’re going to interject in a conversation, at least know what we’re talking about. The other dude said that KD has a far better resume than MT.

My naive and early assessment . . . . I like it.

Edit add: Not that's it's a comparison, I like him better than Mora.

Last edited:

I said he was a good recruiter...

But his only class here was ranked 35th nationally which is, I believe, lower that all but one of KD’s recruiting classes at UCLA. And he’s being maligned as a bad recruiter.

Facts might be inconvenient but they’re still facts.

Recruiting has changed so much since 2007. I think we all found it irritating that MM wouldn’t use social media to relate to kids, something Tucker excelled at. Dorrell prior to the news today had 89 followers on twitter. I hope he uses all the platforms to connect with kids.

I said he was a good recruiter...

But his only class here was ranked 35th nationally which is, I believe, lower that all but one of KD’s recruiting classes at UCLA. And he’s being maligned as a bad recruiter.

Facts might be inconvenient but they’re still facts.
You are confused. Devoid of facts.

MT as a position coach and DC was an elite recruiter. He gave Colorado its best recruiting class in over a decade as its HC.

I analyzed KD’s recruiting classes earlier in this thread. The classes were not good relative to the conference. For the record...

According to 247, including CU as a point of reference:

In 2003, with the current P12, UCLA was 7th. CU would’ve been 2nd.
In 2004, with the current P12, UCLA was 8th. CU would’ve been 10th.
In 2005, with the current P12, UCLA was 3rd. CU would’ve been 8th.
In 2006, with the current P12, UCLA was 11th. CU would’ve been 8th.
In 2007, with the current P12, UCLA was 12th. CU would’ve been 4th.

KD did not deliver recruiting results for UCLA. Yes, USC was dominant. Only problem is that UCLA was not better than a bottom 3rd part of the entire conference in recruiting in all years but one.

KD is a good dude, but he did not successfully mobilize his coaches to recruit competitively in the conference. Given how poorly they recruited, the 56.5% win percentage seems about right.

He was DC one time in his college career (one season as co-DC before that). DC in the NFL and the consensus from those fan bases, particularly the Bears, was that he wasn’t very good. Interim HC in Jacksonville... ok?? Eric Studesville was the Interim HC in Denver when McDaniels got fired. Who cares?

My point was that Manhattan kept saying that Dorrell never made it back to OC after Vanderbilt and therefore it was a problem. Nevermind the fact that KD had already been a HC and OC in his 30’s. Tucker never made it to be a HC until last year.
Alright. You love Dorrell and think he’ll have a better career than Tucker. I don’t think that’s the case.

You seem to be really pumping his tires as a good candidate and I’m lost as to why. To me this is a failure by RG and LC after Tucker put them in a very difficult position.
If I brought up Karl Dorrell or whatever his name is at the beginning of this search, would you have been this excited?

You seem to be really pumping his tires as a good candidate and I’m lost as to why. To me this is a failure by RG and LC after Tucker put them in a very difficult position.
If I brought up Karl Dorrell or whatever his name is at the beginning of this search, would you have been this excited?
Again, I’m not excited. I’m simply not at bcs-level depression over it. I said from the moment the first tweet came out that it would be wait and see with him.

Back