What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell - WR coach Miami Dolphins

Again, I’m not excited. I’m simply not at bcs-level depression over it. I said from the moment the first tweet came out that it would be wait and see with him.
You’re defending him in every thread, instead of understanding why some of us have a very justifiable cringe instinct to this hire. It screams small time. It screams retread. It screams regression.

You are confused. Devoid of facts.

MT as a position coach and DC was an elite recruiter. He gave Colorado its best recruiting class in over a decade as its HC.

I analyzed KD’s recruiting classes earlier in this thread. The classes were not good relative to the conference. For the record...

According to 247, including CU as a point of reference:

In 2003, with the current P12, UCLA was 7th. CU would’ve been 2nd.
In 2004, with the current P12, UCLA was 8th. CU would’ve been 10th.
In 2005, with the current P12, UCLA was 3rd. CU would’ve been 8th.
In 2006, with the current P12, UCLA was 11th. CU would’ve been 8th.
In 2007, with the current P12, UCLA was 12th. CU would’ve been 4th.

KD did not deliver recruiting results for UCLA. Yes, USC was dominant. Only problem is that UCLA was not better than a bottom 3rd part of the entire conference in recruiting in all years but one.

KD is a good dude, but he did not successfully mobilize his coaches to recruit competitively in the conference. Given how poorly they recruited, the 56.5% win percentage seems about right.

No, it’s a fact that his recruiting classes except for one were ranked better nationally than Tucker’s.

It’s also a fact that he convinced Bieniemy and Embree to leave CU for UCLA and flipped MJD to UCLA.

The 35th ranked class is the best CU has had in a long time because CU hasn’t been a competitive program in a long time. But the 35th best in the nation is not elite. Maybe he would have gotten there maybe he wouldn’t have.

But KD had some success recruiting in a time period in which USC was breaking tons of rules to get recruits they were competing for. So the notion that he was an abysmal recruiter is not true.

You’re defending him in every thread, instead of understanding why some of us have a very justifiable cringe instinct to this hire. It screams small time. It screams retread. It screams regression.
I’m defending the hire against the crowd that is sure he sucks, particularly the “This is Embree 2.0” crowd. I completely understand and agree with people who believe it’s pretty meh and acknowledge that it’s looks a little small time. Guess what? CU is small time P5. That’s why Tucker left.

I’m defending the hire against the crowd that is sure he sucks, particularly the “This is Embree 2.0” crowd. I completely understand and agree with people who believe it’s pretty meh and acknowledge that it’s looks a little small time. Guess what? CU is small time P5. That’s why Tucker left.
Well I’m glad you’ve resigned yourself to that. I was hoping for more.

Well I’m glad you’ve resigned yourself to that. I was hoping for more.
Again, at the current point in this cycle, we weren’t getting a splash hire. Karl has been here, when we were good and knows what it took to do so. And do we honestly think he hasn’t learned and matured since he last was in college?

I good not agree more with this post. Last year we all felt some excitement, this just feels like really???

Again, at the current point in this cycle, we weren’t getting a splash hire. Karl has been here, when we were good and knows what it took to do so. And do we honestly think he hasn’t learned and matured since he last was in college?
We interviewed a few people who are much better options and didn’t close on any of them. Failure on the AD that they had to resort to option Z.

Do we know they were even interested? They are better options to you. Looks like not to RG.
They interviewed, so yes, they were interested. Also, RG interviewed them before he interviewed KD, so obviously they were better options for RG as well.

They interviewed, so yes, they were interested. Also, RG interviewed them before he interviewed KD, so obviously they were better options for RG as well.
People interview for a variety of reasons. To get a raise/gauge their market. Some are just happy where they are. I like the fact KD was here when we were good and had a large part in that.

No, it’s a fact that his recruiting classes except for one were ranked better nationally than Tucker’s.

It’s also a fact that he convinced Bieniemy and Embree to leave CU for UCLA and flipped MJD to UCLA.

The 35th ranked class is the best CU has had in a long time because CU hasn’t been a competitive program in a long time. But the 35th best in the nation is not elite. Maybe he would have gotten there maybe he wouldn’t have.

But KD had some success recruiting in a time period in which USC was breaking tons of rules to get recruits they were competing for. So the notion that he was an abysmal recruiter is not true.
You have nothing resembling facts. You keep spouting a national ranking from Rivals that doesn’t matter because the P10 recruited better as a whole during that period.

Everyone in the country was competing with USC. That’s not a good argument. UCLA sucked at recruiting compared to the P10 conference (and even to CU at the time). KD got fired because they were slightly above mediocre in terms of record. You keep repeating your opinion doesn’t make it any more true.

Do we know they were even interested? They are better options to you. Looks like not to RG.
Ryan Walters I'm sure was very interested. Again he # 15 defense in NCAA in SEC @ Missouri. Dorrell's last stint as a college coordinator (2014) #109 in NCAA and fired from Vanderbelt in the SEC.

Ryan Walters I'm sure was very interested. Again he # 15 defense in NCAA in SEC @ Missouri. Dorrell's last stint as a college coordinator (2014) #109 in NCAA and fired from Vanderbelt in the SEC.
Why would he leave where he was to come to a middling P5 team?

Get a clue clown, Walters doesn’t even have close to the experience Dorrell does. Buff fans disgust me, we don’t deserve good football.
Man how has Lincoln Riley, Sean Mcvay done. Sure you would take Dorrell over them too? I'm just saying Dorrell has A LOT of experience and its all been average/good and some **** (Vanderbelt 0-8). So yes he does have experience and yes he can get us to a bowl game and thats a step up, just not what most all of buff nation is/was excited about. Sorry if that disgust you and we don't have good football wether we deserve it or not.

It's a pretty "meh" hire.

But there's like 2 people who seem to be saying this like hiring urban meyer.

No, it's not.

There's like 20 people saying it's like hiring Embree.

No, it's not.

It's somewhere between those extremes.

Probably about halfway between.

If Dorrell's floor is 6 wins, I'll take that for a few seasons, and he may surprise to the upside.

If he doesn't, then we move on.

Only this time, we'd be searching on our timeline and with a team that had been to a bowl multiple years in a row.

so last time he was OC in 2014 at Vandy.. idk what kinda talent he was working with (although didn't they follow James Franklin there?)

August 289:50 p.m.Temple*SECNL 7–3731,731
September 63:30 p.m.No. 15 Ole MissESPNL 3–4143,260
September 1311:00 a.m.UMass*
  • Vanderbilt Stadium
  • Nashville, TN
SECRNW 34–3133,386
September 206:30 p.m.No. 14 South Carolina
  • Vanderbilt Stadium
  • Nashville, TN
SECNL 34–4834,441
September 2711:00 a.m.at KentuckySECNL 7–1756,940
October 43:00 p.m.at No. 13 GeorgiaSECNL 17–4492,746
October 116:30 p.m.No. 24 (FCS) Charleston Southern*
dagger
  • Vanderbilt Stadium
  • Nashville, TN
SECRNW 21–2026,738
October 253:00 p.m.at MissouriSECNL 14–2465,264
November 16:00 p.m.Old Dominion*
  • Vanderbilt Stadium
  • Nashville, TN
ESPNUW 42–2828,966
November 86:30 p.m.Florida
  • Vanderbilt Stadium
  • Nashville, TN
SECNL 10–3435,191
November 226:30 p.m.at No. 4 Mississippi StateSECNL 0–5160,493
November 293:00 p.m.Tennessee
  • Vanderbilt Stadium
  • Nashville, TN (rivalry)
SECNL 17–2440,350

so safe to say we don't want him calling plays, and he's not an offensive genius that's going to coach up Chev on that front. So real OC needed.

Back