What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell - WR coach Miami Dolphins

What MT accomplished in recruiting did prove a lot of people's points that it is possible to recruit at a high level before winning.

What KD is showing (so far) is proving a lot of people's points that competent coaching can accomplish a lot.

We need both.

What MT accomplished in recruiting did prove a lot of people's points that it is possible to recruit at a high level before winning.

What KD is showing (so far) is proving a lot of people's points that competent coaching can accomplish a lot.

We need both.
this up here GIF by Chord Overstreet

So far HCKD just seems to look like he sees things a little different than MikeMac and Tucker. It’s if he’s getting a real feel for this team and the coaches around him. There was a completely different tune between the offense play calling in Q1 of the UofA game to the last three quarters. It’s like he got in Chev’s ear and said “stop embarrassing yourself, and just run...you’ll see”. How he got on Noyer after that INT, and later they showed Noyer all cool-headed while warming up shows that he’s the coach that needs to be here at CU right now...Will it be this way next year? 2022? Who knows? 2020, and two games left...bowl eligible, and 4-0, 3-0 in P12 play. It’s good!

Add: “The transition class, late in the recruiting cycle, during a plague, is always hard”

I don’t know why people can’t cut him some slack here
Well, this isn't really accurate.

Most coaches 'transition class' starts in December or January with just a couple of months to piece things together.

Tucker signed the previous class, so KD starting in Feb means his transition class is essentially a full recruiting cycle.

Now, I do agree with the challenges he has faced are unique due to the pandemic and the inability to get out on the road. I'm willing to cut him a little slack this season, but he needs to show a lot more next cycle.

Well, this isn't really accurate.

Most coaches 'transition class' starts in December or January with just a couple of months to piece things together.

Tucker signed the previous class, so KD starting in Feb means his transition class is essentially a full recruiting cycle.

Now, I do agree with the challenges he has faced are unique due to the pandemic and the inability to get out on the road. I'm willing to cut him a little slack this season, but he needs to show a lot more next cycle.
Fair enough

HCKD also kept 4 coaches on staff, he didn't have to start from scratch in recruiting. Everyone who wants to cut him some extra slack glosses over this, especially with 2 of them being good recruiters and Hagen has shown he is at least a good talent evaluator even if the energy on the road isn't there.

If we don't get better in the trail, we'll see the drop off 2-3 years from now. This staff has the chance to close a couple of guys and land in the 40's. I will be fine with that if it's our floor moving forward.

Last edited:
Karl Dorrell is a good coach. I never understood the take that he wasn't a good coach. Now, whether he can recruit at the level we need to be at to be a consistent winner is another question.
Um, that's where Coach Rod steps into the equation.

KD has had a great season and probably COY in the Pac12 this year. But holy **** recruiting needs to step up big time, before the Utah game even started they were ranked 31st in the country and have three 4 star recruits while we have 0 sitting at 58th. We were 4-0 and they were 1-2, there's no excuse for being that far behind Utah. Not saying we need to be USC level recruiting but if we are even going to compete for the south we have to be on par with ASU and Utah talent wise and right now we're not even close. Arizona is barely behind us and they have 0 wins and no coach

Covid excuse doesn't work either, every program in the country can't meet recruits in person and has all the covid disadvantages too. Not a situation unique to HCKD at all. At this point we're recruiting at Mike Mac levels which means our ceiling is Mike Mac type program where we pray for bowl eligibility and in 4 years we're looking for a new coach again

Good hire it appears. It seems like when we are excited about a hire we get burned but when we don't like the hire, we end up having a decent one.

Back