What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell - WR coach Miami Dolphins

Good hire it appears. It seems like when we are excited about a hire we get burned but when we don't like the hire, we end up having a decent one.
Tad Boyle syndrome. Tad was #4 out of a list of three candidates for the job according to allbuffs.
Still need to see a significant improvement to recruiting in 2022 if he plans on sticking around long. Classes in the 50’s ain’t gonna cut it in the PAC 12.

Tad Boyle syndrome. Tad was #4 out of a list of three candidates for the job according to allbuffs.
Still need to see a significant improvement to recruiting in 2022 if he plans on sticking around long. Classes in the 50’s ain’t gonna cut it in the PAC 12.

After landing those graduate transfers, wouldn't you want a do-over with that comment?

After landing those graduate transfers, wouldn't you want a do-over with that comment?
Yes I would. If Duff is to be believed, the loss of Iwunnah will likely lead to a recruiting class in the 60’s, not the 50’s. That’s going in the wrong direction. Transfers are great and I can understand the attraction to filling out the roster with guys who have played at this level before. Long term, it’s not a great model for sustained success. You need both effective high school recruiting and transfer recruiting. There’s a reason the transfers are coming here - they didn’t get enough playing time at their chosen school. I’m not complaining about getting them, mind you. But we need to tap the brakes a bit on the enthusiasm. We are getting transfers precisely because we spectacularly struck out on High School recruits.

Yes I would. If Duff is to be believed, the loss of Iwunnah will likely lead to a recruiting class in the 60’s, not the 50’s. That’s going in the wrong direction. Transfers are great and I can understand the attraction to filling out the roster with guys who have played at this level before. Long term, it’s not a great model for sustained success. You need both effective high school recruiting and transfer recruiting. There’s a reason the transfers are coming here - they didn’t get enough playing time at their chosen school. I’m not complaining about getting them, mind you. But we need to tap the brakes a bit on the enthusiasm. We are getting transfers precisely because we spectacularly struck out on High School recruits.

You have a good point. At the same time, given how HCKD got CU ready to play and go bowling with no spring practice, you would think that he would have those graduate transfers ready to go for the first game of the upcoming season.

Given CU's recruiting history this century, will it make sense to continue to throw more resources towards recruiting HS & JUCO kids? Perhaps we would focus more on getting more higher end recruits (smaller classes too) especially at QB and have them develop the way HCKD wants them to develop (or convert a defensive player to QB) and there are certainly some positions where the transfer market could make more sense.

HCKD also had a late start with the recruits for this class given the circumstances so a lower than expected ranking shouldn't come as a surprise. 2022 class will be telling in that case. Having the transfer market could really change things when it comes to recruiting for CU.

Narrator: They did not have a plan
Fail Uh Oh GIF by Nickelodeon

Last edited:
Nobody would care one bit about the photographer if CU was winning. Saban and Dabo could beat the hell out of a photographer every week and the questions would be why did the Photographer attack them.
Looks as though Tom Herman will go at least another season before getting a new HC job. Maybe if we **** can Dorrell right after being eliminated from bowl contention, we can make Herman an offer. I’m guessing that will happen right around Halloween.
Herman alone wouldn’t turn this ship around though. The rot runs deep.

Adam posted this over on 247.

Honestly, I really like KD and his approach to the profession. Mostly, I just want to win. But if we can win with a guy I think tries to do things in a high character way, it would be so much sweeter.

It is all an issue because he cannot win. He is meh and he cannot fix that. Nice guy but who cares at this point because nobody will notices with the loss totals climbing

Nobody would care one bit about the photographer if CU was winning. Saban and Dabo could beat the hell out of a photographer every week and the questions would be why did the Photographer attack them.
Looks as though Tom Herman will go at least another season before getting a new HC job. Maybe if we **** can Dorrell right after being eliminated from bowl contention, we can make Herman an offer. I’m guessing that will happen right around Halloween.
Herman alone wouldn’t turn this ship around though. The rot runs deep.
Herman is my dream hire as well.

Im not holding my breath though

Honestly, I really like KD and his approach to the profession. Mostly, I just want to win. But if we can win with a guy I think tries to do things in a high character way, it would be so much sweeter.

The move that I find strange for Dorrell was after the 1999 season at UW under Neuheisel. Why leave an OC position at a major program for a WR coach position at the Broncos under Shanahan? The video couches it as a great opportunity for him, but I view that as a backwards step.

Herman is my dream hire as well.

Im not holding my breath though
His record at Texas would have been fantastic if it had been CU. But he had the Texas brand and the Texas talent. I guess what my question is, what makes you believe he could be better than a three win/season coach at CU?

He's easy to root for and I really hope he's successful here. But I just haven't seen many of the indicators that would suggest he will be. I like the coaching staff he has this year. But he's not recruiting elite talent (new, or holding on to elite talent). And there isn't much in his history to suggest that he knows how to do that. Hoping for the best, but don't seem to have a lot to base that hope on.

His record at Texas would have been fantastic if it had been CU. But he had the Texas brand and the Texas talent. I guess what my question is, what makes you believe he could be better than a three win/season coach at CU?
Coaches a solid O, recruiting ties in TX, coached at Houston which doesn’t have unlimited resources. Did as well at Texas as anyone has besides Mack Brown, everyone else has crashed and burned there. Won all his bowl games.

I feel like he’s the perfect type of candidate for a program at our caliber because he would provide entertaining football and win more than lose imo

I believe Herman is the type of coach who could get us to our ceiling of 8-10 wins. CU should be able to recruit at or above the level of 8 of the other PAC 12 teams, and two of those teams are leaving the conference anyway. Assuming the PAC 10 stays intact, the next coach ought to be able to win more recruiting and on-field battles than he loses. That all is totally dependent on a dramatic shift in attitude from campus leadership. Without that shift, we might as well keep Dorrell because just hiring another coach might help a little, but it won’t make the kind of difference we would all like to see.

He's easy to root for and I really hope he's successful here. But I just haven't seen many of the indicators that would suggest he will be. I like the coaching staff he has this year. But he's not recruiting elite talent (new, or holding on to elite talent). And there isn't much in his history to suggest that he knows how to do that. Hoping for the best, but don't seem to have a lot to base that hope on.
For sure.

At the end of the day, if a coach wins enough we find a way to like him and he becomes popular as hell. And if he doesn't win enough, it really doesn't matter how great of a guy he is.

But I will say that Tad Boyle's tenure has taught me that I can be very happy as a fan if a great guy delivers a consistent winner, recruits great people you love to interact with and root for, and runs a clean program.

Hoping for that "best of both worlds" like the Colts had with Dungy, but it's rare. Seems like most successful head coaches are train wrecks on a personal level whose mindset is to let nothing in life distract them from their mission to win. I hope KD gets it done by getting CU FB to the level Tad has gotten CU MBB. In other words, give me an excuse to not say I'd support hiring Urban Meyer.

For sure.

At the end of the day, if a coach wins enough we find a way to like him and he becomes popular as hell. And if he doesn't win enough, it really doesn't matter how great of a guy he is.

But I will say that Tad Boyle's tenure has taught me that I can be very happy as a fan if a great guy delivers a consistent winner, recruits great people you love to interact with and root for, and runs a clean program.

Hoping for that "best of both worlds" like the Colts had with Dungy, but it's rare. Seems like most successful head coaches are train wrecks on a personal level whose mindset is to let nothing in life distract them from their mission to win. I hope KD gets it done by getting CU FB to the level Tad has gotten CU MBB. In other words, give me an excuse to not say I'd support hiring Urban Meyer.
If KD turns into the football version of Tad Boyle, we all owe Rick George a beer (and commitments to buy upgraded seats, etc). I do love the fact that I saw photos of Tad at football practice the other day. Somehow, Tad needs to teach KD how to recruit elite talent. Tad doesn't get the McDonalds All Americans, but he gets serious looks and commitments from talent that other Top 25-30 programs are chasing. You don't have to out recruit Kansas, Kentucky, etc (Bball), but you have to out recruit the middle of your conference. Then the teaching and leadership aspects can have their best effect.

Dorrell sucks.
Dorrell Sucks, but I maintain that he’s a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself. No way a school that takes its football program seriously ever hires Karl Dorrell as head football coach. Fire him and we still have the same folks making the decisions on who replaces him, with the same self imposed restrictions on how he is allowed to run the program.

It feels like Dorrell is so nice that he does not try and push himself into any risky places that a coach needs to go to win.
I liked Tucker for pushing boundaries, but always felt like he was what he became
KD is a 4 win coach that will do everything as above board as possible, just what the AD wants
He is just a boring dude

For sure.

☝️This guy is right

If KD turns into the football version of Tad Boyle, we all owe Rick George a beer (and commitments to buy upgraded seats, etc). I do love the fact that I saw photos of Tad at football practice the other day. Somehow, Tad needs to teach KD how to recruit elite talent. Tad doesn't get the McDonalds All Americans, but he gets serious looks and commitments from talent that other Top 25-30 programs are chasing. You don't have to out recruit Kansas, Kentucky, etc (Bball), but you have to out recruit the middle of your conference. Then the teaching and leadership aspects can have their best effect.
☝️This guy is also right.

But...

So is this guy 👇
Dorrell Sucks, but I maintain that he’s a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself. No way a school that takes its football program seriously ever hires Karl Dorrell as head football coach. Fire him and we still have the same folks making the decisions on who replaces him, with the same self imposed restrictions on how he is allowed to run the program.

I am pretty sure RG will be buying his own beer.

Back