What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Kroll not seeking reelection!

What makes you think his replacement will be any better? This is Boulder we're talking about.

It’s not their job, dude. Simple as that. It has nothing to do with the rest of us trying to get pro-athletics regents elected. I’m 100% in favor of that. Keep the employees of the school out of it.
I’m not sure how many university’s have a regent elected board, but I can almost guarantee this happens at Schools who take their football seriously. Not saying this is the way to go, but at some point you have to play dirty in today’s current college athletics world.

I’m not sure how many university’s have a regent elected board, but I can almost guarantee this happens at Schools who take their football seriously. Not saying this is the way to go, but at some point you have to play dirty in today’s current college athletics world.
Most don't. It's a structure that hurts CU more than it helps (and not just in athletics). This structure was actually identified by a study as being a detriment to a public university a decade or so ago.

Most public universities have a much larger board that is appointed by the governor (like board size = 17 and governors appoint (or reappoint) one or two a year).

When you don't have to go through an election to get the seat, generally more well qualified people will be willing to step up, and being a fan provides motivation to step up. So structurally you tend to have more voices supporting the AD.

Really large states with sprawling systems (think CA) have some different dynamics with competing campuses.

Not Sure is right - it would do zero good for RG to unofficially push a candidate. Do you think the other regents are going to feel good knowing that RG is out there trying to drive support for a specific candidate? This goes for any University leadership

It is simply a recipe for getting fired or creating truly active resistance to the AD within the BoR.

Not Sure is right - it would do zero good for RG to unofficially push a candidate. Do you think the other regents are going to feel good knowing that RG is out there trying to drive support for a specific candidate? This goes for any University leadership

It is simply a recipe for getting fired or creating truly active resistance to the AD within the BoR.
Win win???

I don't disagree with anything you said, but food for thought...

you SWAG'd earlier ITT that a campaign for regent would cost ~$20k. ADRG makes ~$1m/year base salary, and has $100k/year attendance incentives (plus probably others, but IDK).

if he can make a campaign donation of $40k (double your SWAG) and thereby create a high probability of winning the election for a candidate who supports him achieving those incentives, and there's nothing in his contract that prohibits it (no clue whether or not there is)... I'd have a hard time arguing that it wasn't a smart thing to do.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but food for thought...

you SWAG'd earlier ITT that a campaign for regent would cost ~$20k. ADRG makes ~$1m/year base salary, and has $100k/year attendance incentives (plus probably others, but IDK).

if he can make a campaign donation of $40k (double your SWAG) and thereby create a high probability of winning the election for a candidate who supports him achieving those incentives, and there's nothing in his contract that prohibits it (no clue whether or not there is)... I'd have a hard time arguing that it wasn't a smart thing to do.
He buys himself one seat on the BoR... maybe? And meanwhile makes life harder for his boss and sows distrust with the rest of the Board. It is a terrible idea, even if he is allowed to do it.

I'd like to think RG and even KD are "unofficially" working their contacts to get a candidate to run with the necessary backing
Rainbow Thumbs Down GIF by Mind Pump Media

Its one of the most liberal districts in the state. Denver is just as capable of putting an anti-athletics loon on the BoR as Boulder is.
Have you ever looked in the politics forum here?

Lots of voices on many sides of the political spectrum, and... they all really want to see the CU football team do well.

Implying that support for athletics is a partisan issue?

Have you ever looked in the politics forum here?

Lots of voices on many sides of the political spectrum, and... they all really want to see the CU football team do well.

Implying that support for athletics is a partisan issue?

Lots of voices on many sides in the political spectrum? I post in there. You and I both know that isn't true. There are a ton of voices on one side - and they tend to shout down those who don't agree with them to the point where people like me (who don't-regardless of the fact that I switched parties and voted for Biden last November) get shouted down to the point they don't want to fool around in there.

By the way, Denver gave the CU BoR Jack Kroll. If you don't think another woke, anti-athletics loon coming out of there isn't a possibility - you've got another thing coming. One more thing - which political party do Kroll and Shoemaker belong to again? I don't see the Republican members of the BoR pulling the kind of grandstanding **** those two have during their time on the board.

This is what scares me.

I want him gone from the regents because I care about CU, and not just athletics. I believe that the flagship university of a state can have a major impact on the quality of life in that state and of it's citizens. The entire CU system has in my view stagnated and the regents have not provided the leadership to move it forward.

Kroll didn't run for regent because he had a driving desire to make CU a better institution. He ran because it was a way to get his name on a ballot for a state government elected office.

At some point in the future we will see him running for the state legislature or even higher office. Something where he can do even more damage in trying to advance his political aspirations.
Regarding the flagship issue, I continue to wonder about this (especially because it seemed like CU was pretty highly esteemed a few decades ago) - what makes flagship universities like North Carolina, Florida, Michigan, California (Berkeley/UCLA), UT, Wisconsin, UGA so prestigious?
Yet schools like CU, South Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arizona, etc are considered just sort of meh?
What’s the difference ?
I’m genuinely curious why, how can CU climb in that aspect? What would be required?

Lots of voices on many sides in the political spectrum? I post in there. You and I both know that isn't true. There are a ton of voices on one side - and they tend to shout down those who don't agree with them to the point where people like me (who don't-regardless of the fact that I switched parties and voted for Biden last November) get shouted down to the point they don't want to fool around in there.

By the way, Denver gave the CU BoR Jack Kroll. If you don't think another woke, anti-athletics loon coming out of there isn't a possibility - you've got another thing coming. One more thing - which political party do Kroll and Shoemaker belong to again? I don't see the Republican members of the BoR pulling the kind of grandstanding **** those two have during their time on the board.
Meme Aww GIF by MOODMAN

Isn't it? It is for Boulder liberals in charge and the voters who vote for them.

If anyone thinks things will improve at CU by voting for the same ilk, they're sadly mistaken.
Wrong. The regents are elected statewide, so this is not just a “Boulder liberals” problem. Regents are elected by people across the state who have zero connection to the actual university and couldn’t care less (by and large) about CU athletics.

It’s the worst possible way to choose a board of regents, but here we are.

Wrong. The regents are elected statewide, so this is not just a “Boulder liberals” problem. Regents are elected by people across the state who have zero connection to the actual university and couldn’t care less (by and large) about CU athletics.

You are not correct. There are two at large regents elected in statewide elections, then 7 regents that are elected in each respective congressional district.

This does raise a question, with redistricting about to take affect and CO getting an 8th congressional seat, does the board of regents grow by one? Anyone know?

Edit: I found an "answer". The answer is currently unknown.

Last edited:

Yeah. That’s not correct. Only two Regents are elected statewide. The others are elected according to the congressional district they represent.

I should add that I agree completely that the way we have set up the governance of the University of Colorado system is outdated and counterproductive. It should be changed, but doing that I believe would require an amendment to the Colorado Constitution. Not that doing that is all that hard, but it’s still a process that nobody seems to want to take on.

You are not correct. There are two at large regents elected in statewide elections, then 7 regents that are elected in each respective congressional district.

This does raise a question, with redistricting about to take affect and CO getting an 8th congressional seat, does the board of regents grow by one? Anyone know?

Edit: I found an "answer". The answer is currently unknown.
I understand that, my point is the BoR are not made up of 9 “Boulder liberals” - they are elected from districts across the state and by people who have no connection to the university.

Regarding the flagship issue, I continue to wonder about this (especially because it seemed like CU was pretty highly esteemed a few decades ago) - what makes flagship universities like North Carolina, Florida, Michigan, California (Berkeley/UCLA), UT, Wisconsin, UGA so prestigious?
Yet schools like CU, South Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arizona, etc are considered just sort of meh?
What’s the difference ?
I’m genuinely curious why, how can CU climb in that aspect? What would be required?

I don't think CU undergrad will ever be in that top tier, and that's ok. This is just my understanding having very brief conversations with folks associated with CU, and observing what my wife has gone through at the Anschutz campus.

Frist, much like offensive line talent in the state, most of the state's top students go elsewhere. Attend any graduation and you will notice that the top students routinely attend School of Mines, Ivy league, Cal schools, or smaller more prestigious private schools. Of course there are exceptions, but when you export your best talent, you can't expect to attract top out of state talent - especially when you look at out of state tuition costs. You also can't blame Colorado kids for going to those schools, I would want my kids to make that decision if given the option.

Second, CU, rightfully so in my opinion, still has a focus to educate Colorado residents. As a result, CU has to admit several residents that drag averages down.

Just my two cents, probably 100% wrong. I think CU is a fine school, and I'd be proud if any of my girls graduated from Boulder.

I get that, see clarification above.
Gotcha. And yes, the idea that CU is governed by “Boulder liberals” is wholly inaccurate. I know very little about Callie Rennison, who is the current 2nd CD Regent. I suppose the less I know about her, the better. She’s not - to my knowledge anyway - out there making stupid statements about the role of athletics at the university and claiming funds donated to the AD should be used to cure cancer.

Back