What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Kroll not seeking reelection!

I just want to make sure I understand what the claims are here.

1. Pretty much all Allbuffs posters support football, want the coach fired, and want the school to place more emphasis on having a good football team than they have for 20 years.

2. Also, pretty much all posters on Allbuffs are uniformly crazy ultra liberals.

3. Also, pretty much all liberals hate football, so they'll vote for regents that do too.

I mean, don't you kinda need to pick two of those three?

Wrong. The regents are elected statewide, so this is not just a “Boulder liberals” problem. Regents are elected by people across the state who have zero connection to the actual university and couldn’t care less (by and large) about CU athletics.

It’s the worst possible way to choose a board of regents, but here we are.

Not entirely true-The 7 CD's all vote for their own regent with the seats currently held by Ganahl and Smith being at-large and the only two elected statewide.....so actually Jack Kroll is a Denver liberal problem just like Linda Shoemaker was a Boulder liberal problem.

Not entirely true-The 7 CD's all vote for their own regent with the seats currently held by Ganahl and Smith being at-large and the only two elected statewide.....so actually Jack Kroll is a Denver liberal problem just like Linda Shoemaker was a Boulder liberal problem.
Yeah we’ve covered this - read the whole thread.

I just want to make sure I understand what the claims are here.

1. Pretty much all Allbuffs posters support football, want the coach fired, and want the school to place more emphasis on having a good football team than they have for 20 years.

2. Also, pretty much all posters on Allbuffs are uniformly crazy ultra liberals.

3. Also, pretty much all liberals hate football, so they'll vote for regents that do too.

I mean, don't you kinda need to pick two of those three?
1. Everyone on Allbuffs is a BUFF and not everyone is in agreement that the HC needs to be fired, would like some measurable success.
2. If the shoe fits > might have something to do with crappy recruiting but that might require some added thought.
3. XXXOOOXXOOO

Your failing is that you want to believe that a conserve would engage in arena they have no chance for fairness..not going to happen here better off to troll and have fun reading the circle jerk.
Your props I'm sure you believe them....but then you screwed the pooch by "Trumpy". < yep I'm going to post.
??? I had a hard time following this.

I don’t think one seat on the BOR is going to move the needle for AD support significantly. We can all hope any elected regent will support athletics. But athletics are not the top priority for many of them.

What I think we should hope for, and I doubt any of us athletics fans will have input for, is a strong, pro athletics President. It will be that person who can establish and lead a vision of an excellent athletics program.

The AD cannot be a fiscal drag on the CU budget. That’s what the President and BOR care about. As long as the AD is sustainable financially, they will leave it alone.

Hopefully, unlike those like Kroll, they are smart enough to know that the two revenue programs that sustain the AD are men’s basketball and football and that to have a sustainable major college AD, those programs must be successful. What we don’t want are a President and BOR that believe sports are unimportant to the Universities vision.

Reactions: dio
I think it’s funny that y’all don’t think the Regents support CU athletics just because of a couple of jerkoffs. They approved Karl Dorrell’s shyt contract because of their blind support. The BoR isn’t the problem with the CU AD. Pointing the blame there is only a red herring.

I think it’s funny that y’all don’t think the Regents support CU athletics just because of a couple of jerkoffs. They approved Karl Dorrell’s shyt contract because of their blind support. The BoR isn’t the problem with the CU AD. Pointing the blame there is only a red herring.

I mostly agree with this, but I do think that if we could avoid the Kroll grandstanding it would help a lot in these regards. I also think there are minor things they can do to help (admissions, etc.) as well.

I don’t think one seat on the BOR is going to move the needle for AD support significantly. We can all hope any elected regent will support athletics. But athletics are not the top priority for many of them.

What I think we should hope for, and I doubt any of us athletics fans will have input for, is a strong, pro athletics President. It will be that person who can establish and lead a vision of an excellent athletics program.

The AD cannot be a fiscal drag on the CU budget. That’s what the President and BOR care about. As long as the AD is sustainable financially, they will leave it alone.

Hopefully, unlike those like Kroll, they are smart enough to know that the two revenue programs that sustain the AD are men’s basketball and football and that to have a sustainable major college AD, those programs must be successful. What we don’t want are a President and BOR that believe sports are unimportant to the Universities vision.
Kroll and Shumaker have been the two most anti football members who have consistently grandstanded with votes against contracts. Replacing Kroll with someone who actually supports football, rather than just “goes along” would be pretty big, especially considering Kroll held the Chair position.

It’s foolish to think Kroll will be replaced by a Republican. That just isn’t going to happen.
Hopefully whoever replaces him won’t be a grandstanding asshole.

I think you’d be amazed at ONE outspoken individual can do a group (especially one that could be swayed either way).

Yup - the President is FAR more important to athletics then the BoR. But that is also where the BoR maximizes their influence in the presidential search.

The good news is that I doubt athletics is much of a topic for those candidates. Athletics just doesn't move the needle that much.

this is a great point. when a large corporation tanks, we blame the CEO, not he BoD -- I think the analogy holds here.

So what’s the problem? All we keep talking about is how awful our administrative support is and how the problems go well above RG

Hah yea. If I was a regent, I might have voted against that contract because I was pro athletics.

You might be right because no one has ever tested it, but last time we have a big BoR discussion I believe we had some research that showed the BoR can be expanded to whatever number, so long as there are 9 elected seats as well. It was thought that that was one of the few avenues the Governor might have to influence the Regents
If it can be expanded, why couldn't it be reduced? Because the constitution says so?

I'd really like AB general counsel to chime in, but I don't see any ambiguity in the constitutional wording. I'm taking this as the number of regents is fixed at nine unless the constitution is amended.

There shall be nine regents of the university of Colorado who shall be elected in the manner prescribed by law for terms of six years each

if it was worded "there shall be nine elected regents of the university..." then I think it'd be open to suggest there could be more regents who are not elected.

I mostly agree with this, but I do think that if we could avoid the Kroll grandstanding it would help a lot in these regards. I also think there are minor things they can do to help (admissions, etc.) as well.
Spot on. Ultimately, having one or two BOR's grandstanding isn't an issue if things are going well. However, if a Barnett type scandal hits, the Kroll's of the world will most certainly pounce.

The biggest issues I see at the moment are (as you said) admissions not playing along (or at least not making enough concessions), a President who is very insistent on staying out of the news more so than ultimately winning, and an AD who is short sighted on everything and thinks only a buff knows CU's problems.

The grandstanding is irrelevant. Regents aren’t really involved with the admissions deals (aside from the fact a guy worked in the actual office). That’s almost entirely on the President and the feckless AD.

Reactions: DBT
The grandstanding is irrelevant. Regents aren’t really involved with the admissions deals (aside from the fact a guy worked in the actual office). That’s almost entirely on the President and the feckless AD.
You get a like for using “feckless!” Great “F” word!

It should be noted that even a minor fiscal drag on the university is very small potatoes compared to the massive marketing that athletics are capable of providing.

Essentially, funneling a few million dollars (if necessary) into the AD to improve athletics and the subsequent interest in the university is an utter bargain.

Reactions: DBT
Bingo. I think we'd be hard pressed to find another message board/fan base that thinks one regent seat is going to affect athletic success even incrementally. As has been discussed ad naseum, we need a top to bottom push towards athletic success. Might just be an indication that we've truly become a "small-time" P5 program that we are hyper-focused on something like this.

Bingo. I think we'd be hard pressed to find another message board/fan base that thinks one regent seat is going to affect athletic success even incrementally. As has been discussed ad naseum, we need a top to bottom push towards athletic success. Might just be an indication that we've truly become a "small-time" P5 program that we are hyper-focused on something like this.
We need a president who cares about it. Regents will have input on that. Otherwise the only time they matter is when they are presented with a sports contract as fait accompli.

You don’t have to blame him for all the problems with the CUAD to recognize that he’s a grandstanding jackass and that his leaving provides a great opportunity to replace him with somebody better.

Don’t live in that district. A banana slug would be an improvement over Jack Kroll.

So wish I could vote…live in Europe and and actually believe in the power of votes…we’ll see. Peace and love goes a long way

Back