What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

Ladies and gentlemen, the Prime effect

The one caveat to that is that there is a correct audience for these things. Being an academic peer and located in a state & metro with a significant and growing population of highly qualified college applicants who choose to go to school out-of-state at a high rate is a significant pitch that CU should be making to B1G and SEC Presidents.
Yes, but that's just to make them feel comfortable doing what the money guys tell them to do.

🙄 in this concept of a super league with 12 divisions like what’s been posted here, there will never be a relegation system where teams would move up and down based on performance in a given season.
I agree with that premise
The LEAGUE is the finish line, and we are in 45th place in the race to get there

We HAVE been Relegated, we are in the 3rd or 4th division/conference
No conference is going to kick a member out. That's not happening.

But, much like happened to the pac12, the top tier of a conference can move to another conference and leave the others behind. Also see SWC conference collapse back in the day.

Alternatively, a powerful group of conference members can leave en mass to create a new conference, much like what happened to the wac when the top tier of that conference left to go form the mwc.

That's how relegation happens in the real world, and if it happens this time around it will follow the same path.

What is interesting is that the big10 conference reportedly has ties that extend beyond athletics. Preferred admission to each other's grad schools, placement for post docs, library sharing agreements, joint bulk purchasing arrangements, etc. That serves to both make the conference more durable, and lessens the liklihood of any member or group of members leaving the others behind.

It also adds value to every member beyond athletic broadcast distributions, and is one of the reasons they value AAU membership. [Note: Oregon proves they have a price that can be met on that one, but reportedly the other university presidents were very pissed off when NU lost their AAU designation shortly after joining.]

So, I'm very surprised to learn that CU has been outperforming peer schools (ie. Non-P2) in TV ratings prior to last year, especially with how much attention there was on this forum re: poor distribution of the PAC 12 Network.

Can anyone post data to support the claim of high ratings relative to our record?

Not saying it's not true, just saying I'm finding it surprising.

So, I'm very surprised to learn that CU has been outperforming peer schools (ie. Non-P2) in TV ratings prior to last year, especially with how much attention there was on this forum re: poor distribution of the PAC 12 Network.

Can anyone post data to support the claim of high ratings relative to our record?

Colorado was a Big Brand, especially to anyone that was in their early adulthood from 1990-2005 and then we systematically worked to destroy it, because there was not enough trust and balance between academia and athletics because one or the other wanted to dominate or not work together.
I think we are in the most balanced space we have ever been and it took a man like Deion Sanders that blends athletic excellence with confidence, and a little religion. Prime is intertwining with the Brand and Culture and it is working nicely because he wants to work with the school.
However, despite all that, the Colorado Football Brand needs to be treated like a Billion Dollar Baby and cannot ever go back to being manipulated or damaged by the whims of the school. Building your brand up is hard, tearing it down can happen quickly, especially if there is not a consistent brand building element. then the brand will fluctuate.

It's a specific claim, and it is that our tv ratings outperform our win loss record.

In other words, when we're 1-11, we deliver better ratings than most, if not all, of the other 1-11 teams.

And this seems to be true regardless of our record. When we're 4-8, we deliver more eyeballs than other P5 4-8 teams.

I mean, when the competition is Indiana and Vanderbilt, it's not like it's a high bar.

But it scales up too.

In the 90s, we started great, and ended good. There were other teams during that decade that were overall better than us. Including some of the marquee, "name" teams.

Back then, having a "national" broadcast was a big deal, and you better believe they only put teams on the national broadcast that would deliver ratings.

The college team with the most national broadcasts in the 90s? **** Notre Dame.

The second most?

Not tOSU, not michigan, not USC, not Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, or even FSU or Miami.

It was CU.

When we're having a 2-10 season, we don't draw more eyeballs than a 7-5 Alabama team, but we sure as **** outperform a 2-10 Iowa, UCLA, or OleMiss team.

And that outperformance does exceed even many of the "elite" schools when we're good.

We just sucked for so long that everyone seemed to forget this.

My favorite part is the fact we are CRUSHING Oregon.
Is Oregon a REAL Brand? They are the Tech Bros, they have the uniforms, but are they a cross country appeal?

I do not think we are all fully appreciating how Prime has brought the Black audience to CU, from every corner of the country.

It is also nice to have 2 Million Racist Haters every week, because the networks do not care.

Nebraska's been in the top 5 twice this year, against CU and Illinois. CU has been in the top 6 every week. Logic and deductive reasoning would show that CU is the draw, not Nebraska.
If that's the criteria, there's no doubt that Nub fans will continue to believe that their team is the draw everyone tuned in to watch.

Back