What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ladies and gentlemen, the Prime effect

The hot and unexpected start last season covered for Deion’s shortcomings when it comes to tactics. He can still be a great coach for the Buffs he needs the right football minds around him.
This video was two weeks before the season. A legendary coach was impressed with the staff and how the practices are run. Now the staff seems to suck

Probably because of Coach Mac, the things I value least in a HC are in-game adjustments and choosing scheme. Just have a vision of what you want to accomplish and hire the right people to design & implement. The CEO of the company doesn't craft the marketing plan or do product design.
I would like to see the HC maybe talking on the headset once in a while. Cardboard shouldn't strike twice, especially when things aren't working.

Probably because of Coach Mac, the things I value least in a HC are in-game adjustments and choosing scheme. Just have a vision of what you want to accomplish and hire the right people to design & implement. The CEO of the company doesn't craft the marketing plan or do product design.
Gary Barnett sat with me years ago over beverages at Ajuaa in Niwot and gave me some of the best coaching advice I have ever received. One of the points he hammered home was, "Every coach you put on your staff should be smarter than you." He said that's what made him so successful - he was the dumb one. "Do that and you'll win more than you lose."

And just like in a company, giving your son (who boasts a bachelors in foreign affairs) carte blanche to override your CFO always works!

Speaking for myself, it's not the loss, for which the score was not really a "blow out." It's the way in which we played on offense. Again, this may be more than a bit of PTSD from a decade or more of being punching in the ding-ding over and over again.

When I rewatched the game and was disturbed by the inability of our OL to block even just one-on-one consistently in either the run or pass: the pressure on SS was almost always caused by 4 rushers against our 5 OL (and RB) or a simple OLB/S/NB overload where a TE would normally be; the utter lack of any sort of combination of power/misdirection in a "running game" was fatally limited; running a scheme of 5 OL with 4 WR almost exclusively without material changes in formation, motion, or shifts; just line up in our standard run-and-shoot formation, give the defense as much time as they want to match up to the same things we've been doing, and then--invariably--throw a pass. There's no group of players that can be successful at a competitive level doing that.

For us to do THAT--to try to use that scheme--after a year of planning and scheming is scary to me.

I don't mind losing a tough game. I thought it would be very hard to go 3-0 to start. However, I do mind not even appearing to understand how the game is played. Our offense was so far from "dominating," in scheme as much as in play, as to be absurd. I actually think our defense was pretty good. They allowed only 14 points (beyond that strange INT/TD play late in the 2nd). But even 21 points against our defense should win on any day.

I do love the use of the word "whinging," though. Appropriate and expressive. Yes. I have hard-core PTSD, and I'm wrapping my arms around it until I see something to alleviate my concerns.
Spot on

Gary Barnett sat with me years ago over beverages at Ajuaa in Niwot and gave me some of the best coaching advice I have ever received. One of the points he hammered home was, "Every coach you put on your staff should be smarter than you." He said that's what made him so successful - he was the dumb one. "Do that and you'll win more than you lose."
Amen, Mac was the heart and soul of the program, but the assistants were the stars
Look at the coaches on this staff and where they went. They may not have been HC stars, but they were AC stars. 5 of them were Head Coaches over time

Screenshot 2024-09-11 at 4.32.31 PM.png

Love the story, you lost me at Niwot

So you were undefeated huh?

Back