What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Leavitt to Oregon

You guys are thinking ahead a little right? I mean if the Buffs have another great season then MM could be gone too. Coaches got paid squat a lot of their career while moving up the ladder, and when you have success you move up another rung or two and get a payday with it. Don't think anyone on the staff from RG on down wouldn't take an opportunity. The view of the flatirons from the overlook is great, but it isn't what motivates people. The closest you had to that was Embree.......
I'm glad we had JL for a couple of years. Now he can go **** himself because I'm a fan and all I care about is the Buffs.

You guys are thinking ahead a little right? I mean if the Buffs have another great season then MM could be gone too. Coaches got paid squat a lot of their career while moving up the ladder, and when you have success you move up another rung or two and get a payday with it. Don't think anyone on the staff from RG on down wouldn't take an opportunity. The view of the flatirons from the overlook is great, but it isn't what motivates people. The closest you had to that was Embree.......
I'm glad we had JL for a couple of years. Now he can go **** himself because I'm a fan and all I care about is the Buffs.

1 good year and fans should expect our staff to run for the money. The rise won't last long with this scenario.

1 good year and fans should expect our staff to run for the money. The rise won't last long with this scenario.
2 years of obvious and profound improvement on defense, and our overqualified, late in his career, DC, who only has limited time and opportunities to grab the brass ring took the money while still being able to be on a springboard to one last chance as a HC.

This scenario is nearly impossible to replicate and has little if any bearing on what will be sustainable for the rest of The Rise.

Point taken, but let's stop comparing CU to Alabama in any coaching scenarios.

Making a comparison of a single process should by no means imply that other related factors are identical let alone necessarily comparable.

To that point, making sure to remember that yes Alabama does not equal Colorado, Leavitt's situation is similar in a lot of respects to Kiffin's. Both are regarded as geniuses on their side of the ball, both have a checkered past that makes potential employers question their ability to run a program. Both needed to rehabilitate their image somewhat, and both were expected to take a better offer as soon as it came along.

Nevermind, you're right alabama>CU...
Nothing I said should imply that I think Alabama = CU or Alabama < CU, or Alabama > CU.

Simply put, it's very easy to find successful programs that lose their assistants to other jobs. Some of those programs maintain success, some of them don't. I grabbed one example.

The point of reminding you about that Independence Bowl is that Alabama got back to and possibly exceeded any standard of performance in their history in the last decade despite losing assistants along the way.

Nothing I said should imply that I think Alabama = CU or Alabama < CU, or Alabama > CU.

Simply put, it's very easy to find successful programs that lose their assistants to other jobs. Some of those programs maintain success, some of them don't. I grabbed one example.

The point of reminding you about that Independence Bowl is that Alabama got back to and possibly exceeded any standard of performance in their history in the last decade despite losing assistants along the way.

Fair enough

I'm confident in this program but still have reservations and my being concerned over staff leaving is probably overblown. Just want this good football and rise to continue.
In a way we want staff to leave...coaches usually don't get poached from **** programs.

Kirby Smart, Jim McElwain, Jeremy Pruitt and now Lane Kiffin's defections from Saban's staff have laid waste to Alabama football. AMIRITE!??!?!?

Smart, McElwain, and Kiffin left for HC jobs. They didnt leave for the same position.

I am not saying we could or should have matched JL offer. What I would suggest is that successful P5 programs are rarely poached by other P5 programs unless the job is a step up. Such as position coach to coordinator. Not coordinator to coordinator.

2 years of obvious and profound improvement on defense, and our overqualified, late in his career, DC, who only has limited time and opportunities to grab the brass ring took the money while still being able to be on a springboard to one last chance as a HC.

This scenario is nearly impossible to replicate and has little if any bearing on what will be sustainable for the rest of The Rise.

If the Ducks improve to something like the #60 defense, do not be surprised if Leavitt is in a HC role somewhere in 2018

Smart, McElwain, and Kiffin left for HC jobs. They didnt leave for the same position.

I am not saying we could or should have matched JL offer. What I would suggest is that successful P5 programs are rarely poached by other P5 programs unless the job is a step up. Such as position coach to coordinator. Not coordinator to coordinator.
He got the biggest assistant contract in Pac 12 history.

Back