What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Les Miles - Former HC OSU/LSU/Kansas

You keep ****ting on a possible Miles hire, so I'm curious, who would you like to see us bring on?

Jeff Tedford has been my top name since the Oregon State loss, and I've been pretty vocal about that on here. Still has a ton of fire (you don't work the miracle he has at Fresno if you don't-1 win in 2016 to 10 in last year), has coached in this league, and would be great for the quarterbacks we've got. That said, if a possible Miles hire includes Fedora or maybe Matt Canada if Maryland goes another direction as an OC as a hypothetical-I'd get behind that. I don't want Miles with an OC who has ties to his LSU tenure or with one who has spent most of his career in the SEC.

Jeff Tedford has been my top name since the Oregon State loss, and I've been pretty vocal about that on here. Still has a ton of fire (you don't work the miracle he has at Fresno if you don't-1 win in 2016 to 10 in last year), has coached in this league, and would be great for the quarterbacks we've got. That said, if a possible Miles hire includes Fedora or maybe Matt Canada if Maryland goes another direction as an OC as a hypothetical-I'd get behind that. I don't want Miles with an OC who has ties to his LSU tenure or with one who has spent most of his career in the SEC.

Miles is on record as saying he will have a different, more modern offense at his next stop. He's stated that he has spent a lot of time studying all of the new/spread/air raid type of offenses during his time off from coaching. He's a hell of a lot smarter about football than any of us. He's had plenty of time to go over all that he did right an wrong at LSU and learn from it. I'm getting more and more sold on Miles.

Miles is on record as saying he will have a different, more modern offense at his next stop. He's stated that he has spent a lot of time studying all of the new/spread/air raid type of offenses during his time off from coaching. He's a hell of a lot smarter about football than any of us. He's had plenty of time to go over all that he did right an wrong at LSU and learn from it. I'm getting more and more sold on Miles.

If he backs that up, I'm fine with that hire. Proof is in the pudding though. I'm a lot more comfortable with Tedford if he's interested in this job.

Ideally if RG brings in Miles he can do so with a low CU contract and let LSU continue pay the difference. Then any extra money RG can raise goes toward an heir apparent OC or DC (like Lance Anderson, Jimmy Lake, or Chip Long) and the assistants.
I believe when Miles took the OSU job he kept his salary down to hire better assistants. In this case, he wouldn't need to keep his salary down, just let LSU pay it. Of course, MMac could, and probably should, do the same thing to us.

If he backs that up, I'm fine with that hire. Proof is in the pudding though. I'm a lot more comfortable with Tedford if he's interested in this job.
If Tedford were hired I wouldn't be disappointed, but I also wouldn't be that excited about our prospects in the immediate future. He is a decent coach for the MWC, as we are seeing, but his best years at Cal were with Aaron Rodgers at QB and Marshawn Lynch at RB. Once those two left things started to trend down.

Also, I'm confused how you tout Tedford's success, while simultaneously downplaying Miles'. Les coached for 16 years and had ONE season where he lost more than 5 games.

Tedford's last 6 years at Cal saw him go 23-31 in the conference and finish in the Top 25 one time. Not good.

On the positive side...
That program was a dumpster fire when he took it over, so when you couple that with the Fresno State success it's a pretty clear case that he's one hell of a turnaround artist.

Tedford's last 6 years at Cal saw him go 23-31 in the conference and finish in the Top 25 one time. Not good.

On the positive side...
That program was a dumpster fire when he took it over, so when you couple that with the Fresno State success it's a pretty clear case that he's one hell of a turnaround artist.
So maybe a Mac 2.0. Someone who can do really well in the MWC and level off at mediocrity in a power conference?

On the positive side...

:(

On the positive side...
Nothing to disagree with here, but I would add that (my impression is, anyway) Cal regretted firing Tedford until recently. That program went to hell when they fired him, which says to me that he was doing more, with less.

Isn't there a stigma that Tedford had issues with his players getting good enough grades at Cal ? If so how would that translate in Boulder ?

You keep ****ting on a possible Miles hire, so I'm curious, who would you like to see us bring on?

I'm not against a Miles hire but I don't think it should be an automatic.

The questions about his offense are reasonable. We play in a league where you have to keep up on the scoreboard.

My bigger questions are around his motivations. How badly does he want to coach, how much energy will he put into recruiting, how much intensity does he have left. Are we getting the Les Miles who was one of the top coaches in the game or are we getting the Les Miles who is mentally planning his retirement?

For us to catch up with the top of the PAC 12 we are going to need a coach who brings something extra. Does Miles still have that extra.

Just get someone who will elevate the program's recruiting especially with our upcoming games in Texas and if we go to 16 teams in the PAC.

I'm not against a Miles hire but I don't think it should be an automatic.

The questions about his offense are reasonable. We play in a league where you have to keep up on the scoreboard.

My bigger questions are around his motivations. How badly does he want to coach, how much energy will he put into recruiting, how much intensity does he have left. Are we getting the Les Miles who was one of the top coaches in the game or are we getting the Les Miles who is mentally planning his retirement?

For us to catch up with the top of the PAC 12 we are going to need a coach who brings something extra. Does Miles still have that extra.
Extra Miles?

I don't have any issues with KU football fans. Those dudes have had a tough run. And haven't a clue if Miles is in fact going to be their next HC. But damn they are setting themselves up for such a major let down. Can't be certain this dude is serious, but I think he is. They're now following planes to Centennial and Scottsdale.

Bringing Graham for DC and Fisch for OC?
Seems legit to support Miles in his grand annoucement.

I don't have any issues with KU football fans. Those dudes have had a tough run. And haven't a clue if Miles is in fact going to be their next HC. But damn they are setting themselves up for such a major let down. Can't be certain this dude is serious, but I think he is. They're now following planes to Centennial and Scottsdale.

Wow, they're giving csu a run for the most delusional fans alumni.

call me jealous if they pull that off

Dream big, I guess. :ROFLMAO:

So maybe a Mac 2.0. Someone who can do really well in the MWC and level off at mediocrity in a power conference?
No disrespect to MacIntyre but calling him Mac 2.0 would be a disservice. He went 67-35 (41-27 conf.) before his final 3 seasons and he took over a 1 win program just the same. Clearly he lost control in the end, from what I read from Cal fans - the expectations became too much, he was sleeping in his office and living on fast food, he over-complicated the offense and struggled to develop a QB, and he stopped caring about the academic side of things. That tends to make me think he's found a good, healthy spot for him at his alma mater.

No disrespect to MacIntyre but calling him Mac 2.0 would be a disservice. He went 67-35 (41-27 conf.) before his final 3 seasons and he took over a 1 win program just the same. Clearly he lost control in the end, from what I read from Cal fans - the expectations became too much, he was sleeping in his office and living on fast food, he over-complicated the offense and struggled to develop a QB, and he stopped caring about the academic side of things. That tends to make me think he's found a good, healthy spot for him at his alma mater.

He says no, he says no. Still worth a phone call.

If Tedford were hired I wouldn't be disappointed, but I also wouldn't be that excited about our prospects in the immediate future. He is a decent coach for the MWC, as we are seeing, but his best years at Cal were with Aaron Rodgers at QB and Marshawn Lynch at RB. Once those two left things started to trend down.

Also, I'm confused how you tout Tedford's success, while simultaneously downplaying Miles'. Les coached for 16 years and had ONE season where he lost more than 5 games.

I think Tedford (from what I've seen of Fresno) has learned from what went wrong for him at Cal.....especially given the fact that he's done that with a kid in McMaryion or whatever his name is who struggled to get off the bench in Corvallis. Miles? We're not sure. The whole key is the OC to me-zero question he'd get a good DC. If the OC is Fedora, Todd Monken, or somebody else with ties to the Oklahoma State style Air Raid, I'd be all for a Les Miles hire. If we're talking somebody like Cam Cameron in that spot......no thank you.

Miles and Tedford are two very different coaches. Miles is totally a defense guy while Tedford is an offense guy.

Personally, I’d prefer a defense guy.

Miles and Tedford are two very different coaches. Miles is totally a defense guy while Tedford is an offense guy.

Personally, I’d prefer a defense guy.
A bit more accurately, Miles is an Offensive Line guy which leads him to preferring a very physical style of play.

I think we'd look a lot like Stanford and Utah, but with more emphasis on team speed since that's exactly what he did at OSU and LSU, what he saw from how McCartney built things at CU.

A bit more accurately, Miles is an Offensive Line guy which leads him to preferring a very physical style of play.

I think we'd look a lot like Stanford and Utah, but with more emphasis on team speed since that's exactly what he did at OSU and LSU, what he saw from how McCartney built things at CU.
I could handle that.

can i triple-like this description? stanford and utah start up front and play physical ball. it allows each to arguably punch above their weight class due to their individual program limitations. now, insert us, without their unique limitations. and add team speed. .... w00t.

I had some time on my hands and I looked at the average ages of the CFBP Top 25. I cross referenced that to the age of the coaches when they were hired in their current jobs.

Average current age = 49.20
Average hired on age = 44.36

My gut tells me that (aside from marginal outliers like Saban and Riley) the coach should be in his early-mid 40s. The hope is to keep that coach for about 5+ seasons. Coaching at this level is a young(er) person’s game. Connecting with players, engaging recruits, having a strong comprehension of the schematics, dealing with the press, overseeing the academic and big picture personal stuff, and much more is the substance of the work.

Honestly, aside from age, Les Miles doesn’t need Colorado to be considered a successful coach in the history of this sport. He elevated okie light. He lifted the BCS trophy for the bayou bengals. I wonder if he’ll have the intangible hunger you need that drives young men toward greatness. He already drank from that well.

And yes, I understand that Saban is the oldest coach on the list. He’s also (arguably) the greatest coach college football has ever known. He has a near psychopathic focus and will to win that most humans cannot comprehend. If that’s what Miles will be, pass me the cherry kool-aid. If not, I’d rather have a younger guy who feels like he must grind because he has no other choice.

On the positive side...
That's why I dont know that hes right for the job. We dont need a turnaround artist, though I respect those who have that skill. We need a ballstothewall recruiting artist to bring 9 more of his type with him. I know this isnt anything new that hasn't already been said, but I dont think we need a turnaround. We just need damn solid recruiters and damn crafty coaches to develop 'em. Hopefully there's a a current P5 dude who can do that and wants to come to Boulder as HC. Back up the Brinks for that guy.

Tedford has **** on our football program more than once with regards to our facilities. So at least that's handled. But I can't see anyway he'd be a candidate considering the APR mess he left behind at Cal. Yes, I know that shouldn't come into play. But it would at CU in the PAC

The other thing about LM is the press we would get. SECPN would be all over it I think.

Tedford gets a 5 second mention on ESPN and thats it.

Miles gets 30 seconds on day 1, and a weekly follow up from there, and immediately moves to the front of a pretty talented PAC 12 coaches fraternity.

He would be the only National Championship coach I believe in the league.

Recruiting would get a jump immediately, and of course the assistants become critical.

We/me are also setting myself up for a big fail if he does not get hired. Tedford is not really my second favorite choice but he would have actual coaching advantages especially with our currently strong QB room and of course keeping Evans locked in!

Back